mapimi

Lego 10277 - Crocodile Locomotive

I'm so hyped for this thing. It's been ages since we got an adult train. I'm in for two. :)

I think regardless of reception now, 10 years down the line it'll be a long sought after model for train fans who didn't pick it up while it was out. Along with the Emerald Night.

I'm reading one of the interviews with Jamie Berard here, and this quote stands out:

Jamie Berard: “In terms of the new adult strategy, we’re not necessarily seeing this as the first train in the series. The Crocodile is actually a continuation of a variety of trains that LEGO has produced including cargo trains, passenger trains, holiday trains and high-speed modern trains. When it comes to trains, the Crocodile really stands out visually–it’s just so fresh and so different. For us, it really spoke to that rebirth of us getting back into trains–that we’re starting with an icon in the train world that has so much history behind it.”

I'm picking out this: "For us, it really spoke to that rebirth of us getting back into trains–that we’re starting with an icon in the train world that has so much history behind it."

I really do hope this sells well enough that they can continue to "get back into trains". :)

Edited by Mr Hobbles

Thats at least sounds promising (not for our bank account, but for our hobby ;)).

I don't care about my bank account, but I do care that TLG is admitting that the train product lines have needed more attention.

Honestly, I couldn't wished for greater 'statement' product than this.

The fact that the crocodile may not be well known (or, at least, traditionally attractive) to the average Lego consumer isn't a concern. The allure of this product isn't about the choice of train, but rather, the way that it's been executed.

Creator Expert branding has always been problematic, because A] it presumes that the viewer already understands what 'Creator' is, and B] doesn't communicate the aspect of presentation-over-playability very well. Put simply, it made the advanced models appear more like traditional Lego toys that were just tougher to build.

This new approach actually addresses the one fundamental problem with all this - that a model can be 'a model'. The packaging doesn't distract you with a setting/scenario, so it leaves the mature viewer to use their own imagination to consider how the model would be displayed in their home/office. The product name has character. The model itself is allowed to take centre stage.

The inclusion of a brick-built plinth adds versatility, to further highlight that this was designed for either/both displaying on a surface or to be used on a layout.

Honestly, if TLG is serious about getting back into this franchise and visiting historic designs, then I'm now just more excited about what other trains will make the cut in this format...

(and a remake of the Emerald Night/Flying Scotsman wouldn't go a-miss!)

s-l600.jpg

IMG_1242mar16.jpg

For me if they go through with this promise their is a few things I want from the lego group. I want a couple of steam locomotives which include (J1e NYC hudson, UP Challenger, and BR 10). Second thing we really need is a 4 by 4 roundhouse and remote control accessories like the 12v era. I last thing hope the will keep the line a float instead of getting a train every four years.

Edited by 9v brick master

@9v brick master I would temper your expectations a little bit. Lego tends to work in 2-3 year cycles. They probably already have a new train starting in design, which in itself can take 6-24 months of design process. I would imagine they will use the next year or two to determine of sales of this locomotive are enough to warrant the release of that new train, or whether it disappears into the abyss.

I wouldn't expect any more electronics components for switches or signals, those are really expensive to produce. Buildings, maybe, but I think the point of this new line is that it doesn't just appeal to train fans - it appeals to non-train fan adults who want a display piece on their shelf.

Remember, AFOL trains are/were on life support - this is likely a test to to determine if they can make more than one every 4-7 years!

Anybody thinking about other potential color schemes for this engine once the instructions get released?

I feel like Jamie's wording is hinting toward a yearly release of a locomotive, like the fairgrounds/car series, which I think would fit perfectly. 

From the link cited above (https://brickset.com/article/51888/the-next-train-is-due-soon), Jamie Berard:

"Of course, we love train fans, but we're just trying to make sure that, compared to our other products, trains are bringing in enough people."

I believe this says a lot. Naturally. And this issue has been discussed here on EB (almost violently in various fora - uhmm forums) and elsewhere:

Yes, trains are cool - and they selected a beauty (maybe appealing more to folks living in Europe and counting more years on the life mileage meter as some others can possibly envision). The point though is: It has to sell. This is the core of Jamie's message. This is the core of a company. This is reality.

"We are just trying to make sure" = We need to assure - that it sells. Not only appealing to train fans (well - they love us though!!!).

I am >very thankful< that they selected us for releasing this set, which in my opinion could have been any other model that has the potential of "selling well". It is basically what Jamie said. And sure: They do not want us to go away, which may be another thought in the overall calculation.

For me, this is one of the most beautiful locomotives (during the years, these "existed" and in memory).

But: New further lines of new engines, sheds, etc. etc.? Well. I believe not.

However: If this set goes through the roof, sales-wise: Yes, I do.

But that's my own take.

Best,
Thorsten

26 minutes ago, legonerd54321 said:

I feel like Jamie's wording is hinting toward a yearly release of a locomotive, like the fairgrounds/car series, which I think would fit perfectly. 

When Your Parents Ask Where All Your Money Went | Know Your Meme

Oof. I don't know that I would have the space to store all those.

I'd like a new locomotive every other year, with rail car packs released on the off years. It's entirely possible to end up with too many locomotives and nothing to pull with them.

First, I'm glad the Crocodile locomotive is confirmed. This is a wonderful looking set and I believe it raises the bar for further releases. For that, I can't wait to see what LEGO produces next. The modification in marketing to make it a display model first that can be enhanced to run on the rails sounds like the proper way to go about judging the real interest. The thought of a yearly train is amazing. That said, their explanations pretty much put hold on any thoughts of LEGO producing a line of carriages to attach with it. I'm accepting of this and will enjoy building and running my Crocodile once it's available.

A4 Mallard in 2021!

Ok, definitely going to be getting this thing when it comes out, that's for sure!

Might make some modifications, but overall, I love how it looks.

6 hours ago, nesquik said:

s-l600.jpg

IMG_1242mar16.jpg

2 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

A4 Mallard in 2021!

Yes!  Glad you share my opinion on these two trains.  Being British, both of these are from and are now preserved in my country.  I’ve seen both - two truly amazing trains with amazing histories.  Though you may not realise it, the Rocket is tiny - if made into a set I would want 2-3 L&MR carriages (they’re so small - can you call them coaches?) as well.

By the way @Murdoch17 somebody checked out the Crocodile in dark green (the other realistic colour) and unfortunately not all parts exist in that colour.  The 2x8x1 slope definitely doesn’t.  It’s a couple of pages back I think.

@legonerd54321 I doubt it as I’m pretty sure VIP would start sort of tomorrow.

Finished addressing other people, now me :)
I personally am completely hyped about this.  It’s now official and the new pictures make it look even more impressive!  And Jamie Berard’s message is definitely encouraging - I’m hoping for more famous trains in the future, though I don’t expect wagons or coaches, except possibly on a tiny Rocket type Era 1 locomotive.  Anyway, the best information I’ve heard in my 3 years on Eurobricks, and can’t wait for release.  I missed all 3 others, so this is my first Expert type train (I don’t count WHT or DT&S) - though I still need to pick up Sydney Opera House from Bricklink...

Vilhelm22

Edited by Vilhelm22

@Mr Hobbles I know that a stretch but AFOL Trains fan have been asking for remote control accessories for a while though. I am praying that set sells well , so we can more things like this. Just my opinion though 

So while I still don’t like the wheel setup they did i.e. splitting the driving rods, I’m very happy that they at least included one wheel set without flanges to make the proper setup possible. Might end up buying it 

Thank you all for the information! :classic:

This engine is a true beauty! :wub:

Only the price is really high. And I'd have prefered it to come in green instead of brown. Plus it's a pity that the engine doesn't have an additional waggon - I personally could very well have lived without the tracks and the collector's batch included. ... But you can't have everything.

I only hope that we will see the rumored elevated train nevertheless! Since 1. I always prefer a whole train over a single engine and 2. I would so much like some sort of re-design of the Airport Shuttle with the new rollercoaster tracks - it would fit perfectly in my Lego City.

6 hours ago, nesquik said:

Honestly, if TLG is serious about getting back into this franchise and visiting historic designs, then I'm now just more excited about what other trains will make the cut in this format...

I bet that if the Crocodile sells well (which I bet), then we'll see a steam locomotive with tender next year - maybe something similar to the Emerald Night, maybe something completely different like the second engine you posted.

In contrast, which concerns (additional) waggons I'm regrettably not that optimistic that we'll get some since TLG seems to want to release only an exclusive train set which you can use in an layout as well as only for displaying - and an engine with several waggons wouldn't fit lengthwise in a regular sized showcase ...

1 hour ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

I bet that if the Crocodile sells well (which I bet), then we'll see a steam locomotive with tender next year

I don't think a year is enough time to analyze the market performance, brainstorm new ideas and design an AFOL set properly

Edited by Bartybum

Finally better visuals, I am very hyped for this locomotive and will be a day 1 purchase for me.

I have seen many hate / negative comments elsewhere (choice of the loco, choice of the color... but it's realistic !), I pray this set will sell very well to encourage Lego to go further with trains...