mapimi

Lego 10277 - Crocodile Locomotive

8 hours ago, JopieK said:

But these are on Ideas, alas it will be almost impossible to get 10k with such a train:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/e8dcfff4-b27f-486e-b080-c41cdbd8673a
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/899ca545-49a5-4102-aef8-154bb71ac6ea
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/b100be81-413e-4aa8-98f2-f2c68354f5ed

The miracle express achieved 10k and is under review but it is because apparently Queen is still quite popular, not because there are 10k Train enthusiast I'm afraid.

I must say, this probably holds true for my train, as well...

9 hours ago, Modeltrainman said:

I must say, this probably holds true for my train, as well...

I think it does, but your design would also appeal to more than one type of customers. There are quite some Duplo train sets that are more or less into the same genre of course.

The old crocodile Ideas projects above could have gotten more support if they were presented more professionally, incorporated stickers, etc. If they were tied to some real-life brand, it would excel on LEGO Ideas like any other licensed success. 

As for the Queen train, I'm not really sure if it will get produced. LEGO Queen is definitely a popular idea, as it's been on LEGO Ideas multiple times. Will they do an expensive $100+ train? Probably not. Maybe a much smaller version, or just the Queen minifigs - that's what the people want most.

The Back to the Future train didn't pass review, since it was niche and quite large. It also doesn't have the traditional details you'd expect from a typical train set - it was wacky. I think only the realistic trains will get approved.

3 hours ago, NickLafreniere said:

The Back to the Future train didn't pass review, since it was niche and quite large. It also doesn't have the traditional details you'd expect from a typical train set - it was wacky. I think only the realistic trains will get approved.

I'm not sure about that, there is a 'Hidden' train. There also was a Ghost train, so 'wacky trains' have made it into sets in the past. Of course stickers etc. will help, but my argumentation is based on the interview @Jim had some years ago with (I think it was) Jamie Berard, trains are considered a niche market by TLG. It was probably a strong market in 1980+ but nowadays there is so much competition with a lot of other electronic toys.

4 hours ago, JopieK said:

... the interview @Jim had some years ago with (I think it was) Jamie Berard, trains are considered a niche market by TLG. It was probably a strong market in 1980+ but nowadays there is so much competition with a lot of other electronic toys.

It's at the end of this video: 

Start at about 28 minutes. He's basically saying trains on their own don't sell enough so they prefer to combine the train with something else, like Disney or Christmas.

On 6/3/2020 at 11:39 PM, M_slug357 said:

@dr_spock That joke would be more comprehensible if the loco was (any) shade of green....!

Maybe if you tie up a Robin minfig to one of the ends...?

I wonder if the Killer Croc bigfig from TLBM can fit in the cab :grin:

sideways? lol

The old smaller Croc minifigure would fit in the cab.  I think Croc would standout better in the reddish-brown locomotive.  He is not that noticeable in a green locomotive.  Hopefully the set is coming out.  It would fun to chase it with my Bat Train at events. :pir_laugh2:

crocodile2.jpg

Hello Community,
As soon as this model is available, we will probably sell significantly less of one of our most popular instructions:pir_wacko:. LEGO has a decisive advantage over us, cause they not only create the models and the instructions, but also the bricks. But respect to LEGO, as long as the crocodile really looks like on the actual pictures. I hope that LEGO will publish more pictures soon.

With kind regards

Martin

8 hours ago, Bricks-on-Rails said:

Hello Community,
As soon as this model is available, we will probably sell significantly less of one of our most popular instructions:pir_wacko:. LEGO has a decisive advantage over us, cause they not only create the models and the instructions, but also the bricks. But respect to LEGO, as long as the crocodile really looks like on the actual pictures. I hope that LEGO will publish more pictures soon.

With kind regards

Martin

If it makes you feel any better, I think that your version looks much more accurate.

19 hours ago, Bricks-on-Rails said:

As soon as this model is available, we will probably sell significantly less of one of our most popular instructions:pir_wacko:.

I'd start working on instructions for compatible cars, I bet demand for those will go through the roof.

15 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

I'd start working on instructions for compatible cars, I bet demand for those will go through the roof.

Preferably 7-wide, using parts in production...

17 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Yups, I thought of that too! Great idea!

Wanted to check how the Croc would look in dark green.

Unfortunately slope 8x2 is not available in this color. Renderer a piece to check how it looks.

croc.jpg

4 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

@Bricks-on-Rails Agreed with this! I will of course be buying Lego's official locomotive, but I would love for designs for compatible passenger cars to be available from you. (Hopefully in a 6-7 wide scale that fits this crocodile and the rest of TLG's official range!)

A wagon would definitely sell, just make sure you include tan train windows!

Edited by raised
Words

3 hours ago, raised said:

A wagon would definitely sell, just make sure you include tan train windows!

To be paired with this crocodile, wouldn't it have to be Dark Green?

I'd love to see train windows back in any colour.

11 hours ago, Kalahari134 said:

To be paired with this crocodile, wouldn't it have to be Dark Green?

I'd love to see train windows back in any colour.

Oh yes.. last time in Skaerbaek I asked the designer of Harry Potter train why they didn't use that occasion to bring that back, but he said they used the limit then already... Maybe some other time? Fingers crossed.

32 minutes ago, dim_bricks said:

This set is rumored to be on lego shop for the 2 july.

Where’s this rumour from?  And I’m honestly struggling to think of a single 2nd of the month release ever - the 1st is far more likely.

On 6/8/2020 at 5:21 AM, Bartybum said:

If it makes you feel any better, I think that your version looks much more accurate.

Thank you Bartybum, that sounds great. Just to quote Gloria Gaynor "At first I was afraid, I was petrified" ...but in the end "I will survive" unless lego publishes an E94 next year. :pir_wacko: This one sells similarly well (It was presented here in March by LEGO Train 12 Volts).

19 hours ago, Mr Hobbles said:

@Bricks-on-Rails Agreed with this! I will of course be buying Lego's official locomotive, but I would love for designs for compatible passenger cars to be available from you. (Hopefully in a 6-7 wide scale that fits this crocodile and the rest of TLG's official range!)

Some nice passenger cars should be possible but however, unless I am misinformed here, the "crocodile" was mainly used in front of heavy goods trains.

30 minutes ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Where’s this rumour from?  And I’m honestly struggling to think of a single 2nd of the month release ever - the 1st is far more likely.

Found this set in pre order on a swedish website with the 2 july date indicated. 

Maybe it's an error but that seller even has a new picture of the set.

Edited by dim_bricks

Just now, dim_bricks said:

Found this set in pre order on a swedish website with the 2 july date indicated. 

Maybe it's an error but that seller even has a new picture of the set.

Could you link that seller? And it may be 2 July with 1 July S@H release.

Edited by Vilhelm22

1 hour ago, Bricks-on-Rails said:

Some nice passenger cars should be possible but however, unless I am misinformed here, the "crocodile" was mainly used in front of heavy goods trains.

Nowadays it is used in front of passenger trains.