mapimi

Lego 10277 - Crocodile Locomotive

25 minutes ago, Rijkvv said:

I'm surprised to see a seperate locomotive, but I'm surprised in a positive way. It seems LEGO expects (as do I) most people are interested in the locomotive anyway. I don't see them making a coach that even comes close to a realistic length, so I rather see a less expensive set with just a locomotive, where I can add something realistic to, than a more expensive set with a 6x28 coach or something ugly like that.

I agree. A set with one engine and one coach like the Emerald Night is a bad idea because customers want either no coach or many of them.

9 minutes ago, Tcm0 said:

The set was probably in development before they knew BlueBrixx.

Unlikely. BlueBrixx started their train theme one year ago.

Anyway, I'm happy Lego made the Crocodile and it looks better than anything BlueBrixx ever made.

Set 4551 looks more like the E94, the German crocodile, while this new set is a model of the Swiss crocodile.

ho-gauge-marklin-3300-german-swiss_1_fff

1 minute ago, Duq said:

Set 4551 looks more like the E94, the German crocodile, while this new set is a model of the Swiss crocodile.

ho-gauge-marklin-3300-german-swiss_1_fff

4551 was based on the obb 1020

61eOPm88WcL._AC_SY355_.jpg

I wish they'd do something like this with a U.S. engine... or a steam locomotive of any nationality.

Still, beggars, choosers, etc. I'll buy one.

17 hours ago, Coolusername said:

No, look again, nobody apart from TLG would use red ball pins for the black driving rods on black wheels!

Hope iam allowed to post the link to what i mean: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAjSeoXp87M/

Wonder how the red cables up top are made? Crowbars?

Oh that's a different model to the one I was meaning.

To the people complaining about not getting wagons with this set - you do realise that’d ramp up the cost of the set significantly, making fewer people able to afford it right?

Edited by Bartybum

7 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

To the people complaining about not getting wagons with this set - you do realise that’d ramp up the cost of the set significantly, making fewer people would able to afford it right?

I agree! I think this is one of the most sensible comments on this page. I mean, if people want a green coach or something with this engine, simply build one. Or buy this one. It's that simple. 

Haven't logged in for awhile, glad I did to see this post! I don't think we have seen a UCS/Creator Expert train set since the Horizon Express in 2012. I am beyond thrilled and will obviously be picking one up.

Here is my opinion on the adding coaches/wagons. I believe Lego made the right choice only having the locomotive, no loop of track and no motorization. It drives the cost down, the consumer gets to decide what to do next. Many train fans, even if not in the Lego community might buy it as a desk display. Casual train fans or Lego fans can buy it and motorize it to run in their city or just around a loop of track in their lego room, around the Christmas tree or add existing coaches they have for it to pull. Finally, the hardcore lego train (like many of us) fans they can motorize it and build the coaches they would like, in whatever livery they might want. This opens up opportunities for most buyers in my opinion.

While I personally do enjoy having a coach or wagon to come with my trains from Lego, I think it is a smart move. For the rumored $100 price tag this is a great deal at about 7.7 cents per part, so even people who want to part the set out and sell it on bricklink have an opportunity here.

I will definitely be picking this up as I got into Lego trains just after the 10183 Hobby train was discontinued, so I never got to buy a crocodile loco from Lego . These Creator Expert trains are what got me into the Lego train line in the first place with the Emerald Night.

-RailCo

Well said!

I don't get why people complain? We should be happy to see any form of proper non-city train from Lego. And getting more of the large wheels.

Speaking of the wheels, i think all of them will be the ones with flange, which are 12 in total. That means we get 6 without the flange as well since they come in a 3-pack each (2x with flange, 1x without)??

24 minutes ago, Rail Co said:

Haven't logged in for awhile, glad I did to see this post! I don't think we have seen a UCS/Creator Expert train set since the Horizon Express in 2012. I am beyond thrilled and will obviously be picking one up.

The winter village train was creator expert. You can argue that the disney train fits in that theme as well, even if it's not officially creator expert.

19 minutes ago, Tcm0 said:

The winter village train was creator expert. You can argue that the disney train fits in that theme as well, even if it's not officially creator expert.

The price and details indeed make it more like a Creator Expert.

2 hours ago, Rail Co said:

Here is my opinion on the adding coaches/wagons. I believe Lego made the right choice only having the locomotive, no loop of track and no motorization. It drives the cost down, the consumer gets to decide what to do next. Many train fans, even if not in the Lego community might buy it as a desk display. Casual train fans or Lego fans can buy it and motorize it to run in their city or just around a loop of track in their lego room, around the Christmas tree or add existing coaches they have for it to pull. Finally, the hardcore lego train (like many of us) fans they can motorize it and build the coaches they would like, in whatever livery they might want. This opens up opportunities for most buyers in my opinion.

While I personally do enjoy having a coach or wagon to come with my trains from Lego, I think it is a smart move. For the rumored $100 price tag this is a great deal at about 7.7 cents per part, so even people who want to part the set out and sell it on bricklink have an opportunity here.

I will definitely be picking this up as I got into Lego trains just after the 10183 Hobby train was discontinued, so I never got to buy a crocodile loco from Lego . These Creator Expert trains are what got me into the Lego train line in the first place with the Emerald Night.

-RailCo

On the last released Expert train front, I agree with you.  The Winter Holiday train wasn’t of the standard of HE, EN, and Maersk, and Disney Train is, IMHO, a completely separate thing.  Though I believe HE was in 2013, not 2012

I think some people who are Lego fans but aren’t necessarily train fans will also but this too, simply as an Expert display vehicle, alongside things like Apollo 11 Lunar Lander (Also minifigure scale, and also has a display base).  

The locomotive looks totally awesome!! Instant buy for sure. I didn't know that there has been a 12V prototype for a crocodile! Does anyone know where to find pictures of this prototype, I'd like to see if I can build it for my 12V layout.

5 hours ago, Coolusername said:

Well said!

I don't get why people complain? We should be happy to see any form of proper non-city train from Lego. And getting more of the large wheels.

It's a forum, people give their opinion and if someone doesn't share that same opinion, they see it as if the other is complaining. It's not like everything LEGO makes is sprinkled with fairy dust and I have to agree 100% with the product they deliver... 

I'm one off those who is reluctant to buy this set even tought I love trains and ADORE swiss trains. Why? Because it's a locomotive, just a single locomotive. I doesn't fit with any of the other trains LEGO has made, nor can you use rolling stock from the city line, it would look silly.

If LEGO thinks an asking price of 170 'whatever' for a city train is good, then sure they could've added some rolling stock to this one as well. Yes, we can MOC our own rolling stock, but I'm not a good MOC'er, nor do I want to buy rolling stock from third parties. What do I have to do with a single locomotive? Put it on my desk? Why? To gather dust? To look at? 
The problem is we never know what LEGO is up to. If they would - let's say - make one every other year (like with the cars) and give people something to collect, it would already be a whole different story... 

They have sold single locomotives in the past BUT in that same era they also sold rolling stock to add. They've done this in EVERY era in which trains were important to them and have stopped doing so right after the MOT (my own train) and Sanra Fe/BNSF era. Why? Because it didn't sell or because it didn't sell ENOUGH (it's a retorical question). You can't tell me that they would've done this for 40 years ('70s, '80s, '90s, '00s) if it didn't work out... (= make profit).

The fact they don't add PU/PF and track is a good thing. 

16 minutes ago, *thomas* said:

Yes, we can MOC our own rolling stock, but I'm not a good MOC'er, nor do I want to buy rolling stock from third parties.

No offence, but you’ve restricted yourself hugely there.  MOCing just needs practice - I was terrible when I started.  Also, I don’t know how big your physical Lego collection is, but it’s a lot easier to MOC high quality physical stuff than on LDD or similar programs.  Just have an idea and give it a try - you’ll be able to come up with something better than City coaches no problem, as they are extremely basic and have no texture or anything the majority of the time.

I'm so glad LEGO is bringing back the trains! I think 1200 pieces for this highly-detailed, larger scale locomotive is very fair for $100USD. I would imagine that will be CAD$130 for Canada? I plan on buying this at the LEGO store when there is some kind of GWP worth about $40, so I can sell that to reduce the overall price.

The inclusion of a display stand is perfect. LEGO trains are expensive and have a huge barrier to entry. After buying a train set, a decent amount of track kits, battery boxes+motors+lights, that comes out to about $400. This locomotive has tons of moving parts and technic details, as well as a wide variety of texturing. I think one can get a huge amount of satisfaction out of this set for just $100 (or ~$70 if you shop smart). 

As for extra train cars to go with it, I'm glad one is not included. It would have been too large and would increase the cost of the set by a huge amount. Perhaps LEGO is planning another 18+ train set to go with it in the later months?

I will buy this set when it comes out or as soon as there is some kind of deal. If this set came with an exclusive small GWP just for the crocodile, I would get it sooner! 

10 minutes ago, NickLafreniere said:

I'm so glad LEGO is bringing back the trains! I think 1200 pieces for this highly-detailed, larger scale locomotive is very fair for $100USD. I would imagine that will be CAD$130 for Canada? I plan on buying this at the LEGO store when there is some kind of GWP worth about $40, so I can sell that to reduce the overall price.

The only given price is, I believe, €100, not USD$100.  With the current state of the economy, that’s just under USD$110, so I would expect CAD$150, AUD$170, and GBP£90.

1 hour ago, AlmightyArjen said:

The locomotive looks totally awesome!! Instant buy for sure. I didn't know that there has been a 12V prototype for a crocodile! Does anyone know where to find pictures of this prototype, I'd like to see if I can build it for my 12V layout.

I think there is only this one picture of it, and I think it's be hard to recreate it from this. But if you are able to I'd love to see the result.

On 5/23/2020 at 5:27 PM, Zarkan said:

und360x230us0tog4.jpg

Kind of looks like it uses two motors, judging from it having drive rods on both ends

Edited by LegoPanda

1 hour ago, *thomas* said:

If LEGO thinks an asking price of 170 'whatever' for a city train is good, then sure they could've added some rolling stock to this one as well. Yes, we can MOC our own rolling stock, but I'm not a good MOC'er, nor do I want to buy rolling stock from third parties. What do I have to do with a single locomotive? Put it on my desk? Why? To gather dust? To look at? 
The problem is we never know what LEGO is up to. If they would - let's say - make one every other year (like with the cars) and give people something to collect, it would already be a whole different story... 

Rolling stock? How much is enough? Couple of cars would look odd, like they do with all the City train sets. However, getting 20+ cars in a single set would cost a penny. Single train looks so much better than having it with couple of cars for 2-3 times extra cost.

20 minutes ago, zux said:

Rolling stock? How much is enough? Couple of cars would look odd, like they do with all the City train sets. However, getting 20+ cars in a single set would cost a penny. Single train looks so much better than having it with couple of cars for 2-3 times extra cost.

Agreed.  Realistically, this would have probably 20-30 identical cars - both pricey and boring.  It’s a lot better with none, or one additional car which you can buy however many times, and Lego has gone for the safer option.