mapimi

Lego 10277 - Crocodile Locomotive

22 minutes ago, JopieK said:

I hid your other topic. https://www.brickchannel.de/post/lego-10277-das-crocodile-da-freuen-sich-die-eisenbahnfans It seems the train will be 99€. That is not a bad price I think for such a nice train!

@Zarkan, interesting that that picture was from 1974, still the 'blue era', but they already show gray track there! Of course ages before the internet, so no leaks like today.

Whoops, I think you misunderstood, lol. I was replying to the member @1974. They're correct that this prototype is actually from the 80s, when Lego was preparing to transition from 12v to 9v. There were three others in the same batch of photos:

und360x230us0tog14.jpg

und360x230us0tog11.jpg

und360x230us0tog9.jpg

(The last one is particularly notable, cause it eventually became the most legendary lego train set ever: the Euro Express/Metroliner.

Edited by Zarkan

Wow it looks like a potentially awesome set. I just hope it being an 18+ doesn't mean it's going to be a display-only model and it's going to fit onto current lego tracks and can be motorized.

2 hours ago, Zarkan said:

That's actually not even the most interesting thing about this, 1974. See, there was a rumor going around that Lego was gonna be reviving something classic this year. People assumed it was a theme of some kind. And that's understandable, because I don't think anyone would have guessed that it would turn out to be a revival of an old 12v train prototype that never was released.

TLG allready raised the Black Seas Barracuda from the dead, so the rumour was indeed true

58 minutes ago, JopieK said:

That train is very clearly from the grey era ('80-´89) and was most likely developed at the very end. It's very clean, "adult" and features a ton of parts that never made it into production

@Zarkan, interesting that that picture was from 1974, still the 'blue era', but they already show gray track there! Of course ages before the internet, so no leaks like today.

Hmm, those quotes looks messed up, but you smart folks can figure it out :thumbup:

Cheers,

Ole

#legoleaks on instagram shows a different angle on that thing. Looks sweet,

even tho all of those pictures are photographed with a toaster!

That's becuase the leaks come from TLG. Those kinda potato quality pics aren't really possible in the western world. It's a photoshop job and it's getting rather old :jollyroger:

If it is leaked by LEGO then the release date should be soon.  Otherwise, you'll be giving your competitors more lead time to come out with their version of your product.  :classic:

Dutch LEGO masters of the pre-finals ('as we type') is also on Trains ;) (like the previous US version time travel train). @Coolusername, considering the Haunted house probably August would be more realistic.

@Zarkan that makes much more sense :)

4 hours ago, Coolusername said:

#legoleaks on instagram shows a different angle on that thing. Looks sweet

Looking at the 'different angle', it's a different model - someone's moc as opposed to the Lego model.

Hi I'm not sure, what information is more interesting for me: the new set 10277 or these old pictrures of prototype sets. Is there a thread with more informations about the prototypes?

MTM

23 minutes ago, MTM said:

Hi I'm not sure, what information is more interesting for me: the new set 10277 or these old pictrures of prototype sets. Is there a thread with more informations about the prototypes?

MTM

I looked into it a little bit and it seems that the photos originated from an interview with a train designer and was posted on Lego's website some time ago. There is a bit more information provided in a reply by @Freddie in this Eurobricks thread: 

As a side note, I think these prototypes are very cool and I might try recreating some of them in the future. Though it seems someone has already recreated the UP loco and posted it on EB: 

Edited by Legownz

This has got me seriously hyped up - I’ve been hoping for a train but thought that that period was over.  What annoys me most about TLG producing trains is that it isn’t because they don’t sell well that they produce so few, but because they don’t sell as well as others.  And this thread alone shows the support for trains is out there - almost 2 pages on 1 thread in 15 hours.

Edited by Vilhelm22

5 hours ago, Paperballpark said:

Looking at the 'different angle', it's a different model - someone's moc as opposed to the Lego model.

No, look again, nobody apart from TLG would use red ball pins for the black driving rods on black wheels!

Hope iam allowed to post the link to what i mean: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAjSeoXp87M/

Wonder how the red cables up top are made? Crowbars?

Edited by Coolusername

3 hours ago, Coolusername said:

No, look again, nobody apart from TLG would use red ball pins for the black driving rods on black wheels!

Hope iam allowed to post the link to what i mean: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAjSeoXp87M/

Wonder how the red cables up top are made? Crowbars?

Look like Technic red rubber bands.

I would like to see a side-by-side comparison between this one, the one made by Holger and the one from HABricks.

Anyway, look at the wheel arrangement. Three sets of two drive axles each, while the real prototype (and most MOC's) has two sets of three drive axles. I think the only reason why LEGO would choose for that setup, is if they want it to be able to manage curves. Besides, why would you add the standard buffer beam if you're not going to drive with it? Brick-built you can get a more realistic look, maybe cheaper as well. So I won't be surprised if this will be more than just display only.

34 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Look like Technic red rubber bands.

Yeah, maybe just the same as used for the wheels...

So, wait, is this actually a real thing? I assumed it was someone’s fake custom. 

Looks cool! I’ve got enough trains for my city at present, but this thing does look cool. It’s a shame I won’t be able to get it (no budget and nowhere to put it . . :hmpf_bad: )

15 hours ago, JopieK said:

able to handle curves

Neither did 4551
I had to fill both ends with lead (bukshot) to keep it on track.

26 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Neither did 4551
I had to fill both ends with lead (bukshot) to keep it on track.

4551's ends are tiny compared to these ones.

19 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

This is a very cool locomotive! :wub:

I'm curious to see if the front is made with a reddish brown part. n. 2924b

I actually think they use this part. And that would make the locomotive 7-wide. (partially in Dutch, but you'll get the idea)