Harkonen

Dream Lego Licensed Themes

Was there ever a explanation on why there was only one PotC set during the 5th film? Did the line sell that poorly? 

It makes me curious if Lego will even bother to make sets for another PotC film if Disney do the 6th or the female spin off. 

Edited by Mr No

On 2/3/2022 at 10:54 AM, Mr No said:

Was there ever a explanation on why there was only one PotC set during the 5th film? Did the line sell that poorly? 

It makes me curious if Lego will even bother to make sets for another PotC film if Disney do the 6th or the female spin off. 

I hope Lego will bring back the PotC theme if Disney do more films! Perhaps a Jungle Cruise theme if the sequel proves a hit. 

It does make me wonder, during tha 2010s Lego made lots of Disney themes, why didn't they do one for John Carter? I feel bad for that film, I think the change of management killed it intentionally so Iger could have an excuse to buy Lucasfilm, after that they stopped doing those kind of "next star wars or our star wars" kind of projects. 

Dune 2 sets would be awesome too! 

All 3 shows are rated MA15+ here in Australia which means they are probably not appropriate for a LEGO set.

15 hours ago, TurinTheGreat said:

I feel bad for that film, I think the change of management killed it intentionally so Iger could have an excuse to buy Lucasfilm, after that they stopped doing those kind of "next star wars or our star wars" kind of projects. 

That makes absolutely no sense. Not only do companies not operate like that, why would they need a silly excuse like that to buy another company :head_back: They just do

On 2/21/2022 at 2:34 PM, BrickBob Studpants said:

That makes absolutely no sense. Not only do companies not operate like that, why would they need a silly excuse like that to buy another company :head_back: They just do

Perhaps, I read it on reddit. 

Anyway, list of licenses I predict for next year:

TMNT movie, Shrek 5 (if it releases), Dune, Dungeons and Dragons (if Optimus leak is real). 

I'll repeat an earlier idea here:

If the Optimus Prime set is real, then I really, really want a Power Rangers set/theme.

The Command Center, with Zordon, Alpha, White Ranger and the civilian Rangers, Megazord with the core 5 + Goldar, Dragonzord with Green Ranger and Rita Repulsa. Maybe a CMF series to go alongside a bigger set (Megazord).

Supremely unlikely, I would also love a GI Joe set/theme. Even if it was just a VAMP or HISS Tank. Give me Snake Eyes, Scarlett, Duke, and CC!

On 6/12/2020 at 3:18 PM, xxix5 said:

I really would like to see some Garfield and Peanuts sets. 

Peanuts:

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving: $30: Figures: Snoopy (with removable chef's hat and printing for the apron), Woodstock, Charlie Brown, Peppermint Patty, Marcy, Franklin, Linus, Lucy, and Sally: Details: Kind of like a City People Pack. Has the table in chairs from the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special.

A Charlie Brown Christmas: $50-$70: Figures: Snoopy, Charlie Brown (winter), Linus (winter), Sally (winter), Snoopy (winter hat), Lucy (winter), Schroeder, Pig-Pen, Frieda, Patty, Violet, and Linus: Details: There would be several builds. The main build would be the stage n which the play takes place on, Snoopy's dog house with Christmas decorations, the Christmas Tree shop, the frozen lake/pond in which they skate on in the beginning, and Lucy's psychiatrist stand.

I just bought this Peanuts set on Friday. It's Lego compatible         https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsnpyonly.com%2Fcollections%2Ftoys%2Fproducts%2Flinoos-peanuts-snoopy-candy-shop-block-set-ln8012&psig=AOvVaw2URvmHdurH5Rq0Ja3B3FI-&ust=1648556074467000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAsQjRxqFwoTCJCcspDk6PYCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

On 2/23/2022 at 12:21 PM, ARC2149Nova said:

I'll repeat an earlier idea here:

If the Optimus Prime set is real, then I really, really want a Power Rangers set/theme.

The Command Center, with Zordon, Alpha, White Ranger and the civilian Rangers, Megazord with the core 5 + Goldar, Dragonzord with Green Ranger and Rita Repulsa. Maybe a CMF series to go alongside a bigger set (Megazord).

Supremely unlikely, I would also love a GI Joe set/theme. Even if it was just a VAMP or HISS Tank. Give me Snake Eyes, Scarlett, Duke, and CC!

Great idea! I loved the Series 19 Ranger and really want Lego to release more unlicensed colored Rangers, but an actual Licensed Power Rangers set would be just as if not more exciting! Would absolutely pick up several sets should they come with Dynamic figures and builds (which would be natural for a Power Rangers theme).

That said Transformers sets would be cool to see as well. Unsure how to get them minifig compatible but if we could get Lego versions of those 2008 Transformers toys with both vehicles and small figures to place inside before they transform, that’d be so cool, also both Transformers and Power Rangers have Dino sub themes and would love to see that represented somehow for both. Very exciting licenses I didn’t think I’d see Lego pick up.

Also occasionally miss the Spongebob theme is this crazy or does anyone else low key feel like that was a gem they slept on?

6 hours ago, cosmic said:

Great idea! I loved the Series 19 Ranger and really want Lego to release more unlicensed colored Rangers, but an actual Licensed Power Rangers set would be just as if not more exciting! Would absolutely pick up several sets should they come with Dynamic figures and builds (which would be natural for a Power Rangers theme).

That said Transformers sets would be cool to see as well. Unsure how to get them minifig compatible but if we could get Lego versions of those 2008 Transformers toys with both vehicles and small figures to place inside before they transform, that’d be so cool, also both Transformers and Power Rangers have Dino sub themes and would love to see that represented somehow for both. Very exciting licenses I didn’t think I’d see Lego pick up.

Also occasionally miss the Spongebob theme is this crazy or does anyone else low key feel like that was a gem they slept on?

Bandai isn't likely ever to work with Lego. There are a few interesting parts that can be found in the sets made by Mega Brands, but the fact that they did like some of their doll sets in mixing age range size scales (think Friends or Marvel sets having Duplo parts) make the look of the sets ridiculous.

Kre-O isn't worth anything. I've handled a few of the parts from one of those Transformers sets, and the plastic is worse than any I've encountered with Mega Brands. IIRC, the plates seemed to have a different thickness to Lego.

I liked a number of the parts designs, and wished Lego could have reused some of them. The Spongebob body part would have been great as shaped bushes, and Patrick's head piece is good for some swamp plant life (don't know what the plant I'm thinking of is called). It's interesting, but I recall building the Chum Bucket set, and the Fire Nation ship from Avatar: The Last Airbender on the same day. Pity that the blue parts in the Chum Bucket set were the earlier formula that discolored easily.

I saw the new Sonic movie today and a tie-in set would have been awesome and probably sold like crazy

Spoiler

The giant eggman mech would have made a perfect set IMO.

I'm hoping for Percy Jackson sets to tie into the series coming out around next year. If the series is based off the books as much as they claim it to be, there are some really cool things they could adapt.

On 4/3/2022 at 5:36 PM, Nearlyheadlessbrick said:

I'm hoping for Percy Jackson sets to tie into the series coming out around next year. If the series is based off the books as much as they claim it to be, there are some really cool things they could adapt.

I sure hope they will happen too! I think it may be likely to happen since Percy Jackson TV show is developed by Disney folks and will be released on Disney+. Lego is partnered with Disney, let’s cross fingers. 

According to the first reviews, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is almost as good as Shrek 2 and heavily hints towards Shrek 5

I'd be really surprised if Shrek 5 doesnt get us LEGO sets. They can even go back and release stuff from Shrek 1 and Shrek 2! (and maybe the other 2...)

Previous sets based on animated movies that aren't owned by Disney don't appear to have done so well (e.g. Trolls or Minions) so I don't see a Shrek theme working.

On 12/8/2022 at 4:15 AM, Robert8 said:

I'd be really surprised if Shrek 5 doesnt get us LEGO sets. They can even go back and release stuff from Shrek 1 and Shrek 2! (and maybe the other 2...)

Shrek was supposed to be featured in the cancelled third year of Dimensions and TLG have a good working relation with Dreamwork’s parent company Universal, so this is definitely a possibilty!

Sets based on the previous movies would be great too, even though I have no love whatsoever for Shrek the Third :tongue: 

2 hours ago, jonwil said:

Previous sets based on animated movies that aren't owned by Disney don't appear to have done so well (e.g. Trolls or Minions) so I don't see a Shrek theme working.

No idea how those two themes performed, but in these cases, less than stellar sales could easily be attributed to the pandemic. Trolls World Tour was banished to streaming and Minions got delayed by two years, neither of which was helpful. A Shrek theme wouldn’t have to deal with that

Given that we have just seen Brian's R34 in the Speed Champions theme, I think there is room under the theme for a Fast and Furious side hustle for them. This line of F&F models are mostly based off of the old school F&F movies where the focus was based solely on the import scene in Los Angeles. Vehicles like the green Eclipse, orange Supra, purple Maxima, etc. 

On 12/9/2022 at 10:22 AM, jonwil said:

Shrek has a major advantage: nostalgia. It's over twenty years since the first film, and many people who grew up with the films (especially the first two...) are now adults with disposable income.

Given that Universal will no doubt want to capitalise on said nostalgia to help drive box office with Puss in Boots and any future Shrek projects, and a large Shrek D2C such as Shrek's swamp home makes a lot of sense.

On 1/29/2022 at 5:10 PM, Childe_Roland said:

Percy Jackson sets would fill a mythology niche thst's been missing from Lego for awhile. If the series does reasonable at all I'd bet there's be sets. Would make me a happy, I'm a big fan of Riordan, too!

I just want Lego Unicorns. We already have the horn piece

I could see Shrek sets selling very well. Things like his swamp of Fiona's castle would probably do well. 

I hope we see some more Bond sets in general as well.

I hope that in 2024 LEGO releases Planet Of The Apes Sets since that year will yield the new film “The Kingdom Of The Planet Of The Apes”. I would love to see at least one set for each of the 2010s films, “Rise”, “Dawn”, and “War”, and maybe even a D2C for the original 1968 film.

What I think makes the chance of it happening somewhat high, is that LEGO did sets for Avatar and its sequel; the theme is of a science fiction property that got a new film release and was originally a part of Fox and can now be considered a part of Disney since Disney bought Fox; this applies to Planet Of The Apes and “Apes” is far more renowned than Avatar, and boasts two distinct, very iconic (at least the late 60s, early 70s films (the 10s ones are not obscure but I don’t think they have the iconicity of the earlier releases)) eras or generations of films. Plus, seeing the effort they put into the Avatar sets (a property for sets less certain of success than “Apes”) makes me hopeful that they wouldn’t shortchange the theme.

This is slightly off topic, but they even already have good pieces for the torsos and limbs of the 2010s films’ chimpanzees; just use the longer arms from the Avatar Navi figures, the medium legs, and the standard torsos, plus a new head mold; that covers Caesar, Koba, Rocket, and some potential others whose names I can’t recall currently.

1 hour ago, SuperSquidman said:

Plus, seeing the effort they put into the Avatar sets (a property for sets less certain of success than “Apes”) makes me hopeful that they wouldn’t shortchange the theme.

The PotA franchise does not seem like a merchandise juggernaut to me. What makes you think its merch would outperform Avatar‘s? :laugh: Avatar has mechs, helicopters, submarines, and all sorts of imaginative creatures. PotA has armed apes on horseback :tongue:

Don’t get me wrong, the recent trilogy was excellent, but there‘s nowhere near as much set potential as with other franchises

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The PotA franchise does not seem like a merchandise juggernaut to me. What makes you think its merch would outperform Avatar‘s? :laugh: Avatar has mechs, helicopters, submarines, and all sorts of imaginative creatures. PotA has armed apes on horseback :tongue:

Don’t get me wrong, the recent trilogy was excellent, but there‘s nowhere near as much set potential as with other franchises

I think “Apes” is more renowned than Avatar, boasting two generations of loved films, so it’d get a big push from that alone. 

While “Apes” may not have as many general kinds of builds (i.e., even if one’s not familiar with Avatar, helicopters and mechs are generally recognizable and marketable on their own), LEGO could make a wave or two of very unique sets that with the “Apes” reputation could sell fairly well or at least stand out; the apes’ own environments from the original films and films like “Dawn” and “War” from the 10s’ outings, helicopters and other (I guess more war-type vehicles?) from films such as “Rise”, ruined cities/post-apocalyptic environments (the ones with vibrant plant life from the “Kingdom” concept art/teaser looks compelling), Will’s attic from “Rise” (and “Dawn” though dirty, abandoned, and featured less) in which Caesar stayed/lived, the San Francisco bridge “battle”(?) from the end of “Rise” (there’s also the primate habitat from which all the primates escape earlier in the same film), the already mentioned apes on horses, underground mutant gathering areas (perhaps with a nuclear bomb), etc.(?)

If they’re willing to really dig deep into the property, take it to the extreme, and not undermine it via budget cuts, I think at the very least they could make a great collection of sets that with uniqueness and iconicity/recognition could probably sell pretty well (at the very least, though this doesn’t necessarily mean they’d sell plentifully and thus may be a bit off topic, LEGO would probably end up making its most unique science fiction theme in a rather long time (it’s not in-house but compared to licensed science fiction themes and even in-house, it’d be “a breath of fresh air”.))

I guess a test that could be done is to see how many of the Avatar sales are due to the theme itself or the general, unrelated appeal of the builds. If it’s more so the latter then “Apes” may not fair as well in that regard, but the uniqueness and iconicity could make up for it.

(At some points in this reply I may’ve repeated myself or brought up unrelated things; that’s due to my general enthusiasm and excitement for the possibility of “Apes” sets.)

Edited by SuperSquidman
First edit: adding the parentheses sentence at the end of the post. Second edit: adding “Will’s attic” to the potential sets. Third edit: adding “San Francisco Bridge battle from ‘Rise’” to potential sets. Fourth edit: added “primate escape”.