Harkonen

Dream Lego Licensed Themes

4 hours ago, Karalora said:

We don't have to worry about kids learning that it's okay/funny/admirable to blow up the moon with an ultra-laser or steal the Tower of London. We do potentially have to worry about kids learning that it's okay/funny/admirable to smash windows with a crowbar and hot-wire cars, which is the sort of thing you get from Bender.

Ehhh... Gru also kicks street performers trash cans, throws park playing guys Frisbee down a sewer grate, budges in line and steals coffee, destroys pier carnival game, trespasses into the Mexican restaurant, abuses animals...

7 hours ago, NathanR said:

We are getting a young Gru in one of the "Rise of the Minions" sets, but the focus of the series is very much on the Minions themselves - as comedic clowns, they are probably more acceptable than the Gru himself

Actually the title is The rise of Gru, which implies his role should be significant. And it's the Gru before he adopted the girls, which is full on... despicable

4 hours ago, Karalora said:

It's a bit complicated. The concern is almost never "Does this audience-identification character do bad things?" but rather "Does this audience-identification character do bad things that kids can imitate?" Spoofy supervillain stuff is almost always fine in that regard, because it's too outlandish to bear on anyone's real-life behavior. We don't have to worry about kids learning that it's okay/funny/admirable to blow up the moon with an ultra-laser or steal the Tower of London. We do potentially have to worry about kids learning that it's okay/funny/admirable to smash windows with a crowbar and hot-wire cars, which is the sort of thing you get from Bender.

That is a fair point. But Futurama set/theme doesn't have to (and shouldn't) be targeted at kids. None of the sitcom based sets were. But also none of them were full themes, Simpsons hardly counts with just two D2Cs and CMF series. We are yet to see an entire theme of few sets per wave that aren't kid oriented playsets. Although it could change seeing how Lego seems to be experimenting with those 18+ products like helmets and the newest Bespin Duel. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking, which is the main purpose of this topic :innocent2:

I guess I should be honest: I have never seen any of the Despicable Me/Minions movies, so I don't know all the details of Gru's behavior. I'm just pointing out why wholesome toy manufacturers might be fine with depicting one "evil" character and balk at another.

It's the same reason TV review boards tend to be more okay with a cartoon where characters fight with energy blasts from a distance of ten feet than one where they fight with punching, even if the former depicts more death and injury. If kids stand ten feet apart and pretend to throw energy blasts, no one will actually get hurt. It's the same reason, in fact, that LEGO pirates and cowboys can have guns but modern City police can't--the historical setting puts some distance between the guns and the kids playing, it makes the weapons less immediate...and thus the kids less likely to try to "play for real" with their parent's gun or something.

On 8/3/2020 at 6:03 AM, Karalora said:

Fortunately, there is more to his character than that. Pretty much the only thing Moe and Barney have going for them is tending bar and crippling alcoholism, respectively, but as @MatthewRC points out, Bender is also a wanton criminal. The question then becomes whether TLG would be okay with a licensed theme where one of the main characters is a criminal and this is played for laughs.

We did get Jack Sparrow, a rum drinking pirate. Definitely played for laughs with him. Those movies are PG-13 & Futurama is TV-14, so similar ratings. A bottle of “booze” even comes with the sets, although he’s not depicted on the box art with it. 

13 hours ago, BenderBrau said:

That is a fair point. But Futurama set/theme doesn't have to (and shouldn't) be targeted at kids.

Futurama DVDs are typically rated 12/13/14 depending on location. If LEGO did Futurama, they should aim it partly at kids to include that demographic. However, that doesn't necessarily mean they couldn't be of interest to adults. Like what they did with The Simpsons, with 12+ sets, but adult price range, plus the CMF series.

14 hours ago, BenderBrau said:

Actually the title is The rise of Gru, which implies his role should be significant.

Oops - I must confess I haven't been following the movies that closely. The first was fun, but the later ones didn't really grab me.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Futurama DVDs are typically rated 12/13/14 depending on location. If LEGO did Futurama, they should aim it partly at kids to include that demographic. However, that doesn't necessarily mean they couldn't be of interest to adults.

Lego did just introduce 18+ sets to specifically target adults. Sounds like this would be a perfect way of getting some Futurama sets.

2 hours ago, NathanR said:

Lego did just introduce 18+ sets to specifically target adults. Sounds like this would be a perfect way of getting some Futurama sets.

Definitely this! In fact, it’d pretty much be the only way to get LEGO Futurama sets.

21 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

Definitely this! In fact, it’d pretty much be the only way to get LEGO Futurama sets.

The 18+ doesn't mean that they are doing riskier material suitable for adults only. It seems to be more for (i) making the same set that would normally be a 12+ or maybe 16+ more appealling to adults, (ii) nostalgia based sets not likely to be of interest to younger kids, (iii) boring repetitive tasks that are for stress-relief and not interesting for kids.

On 8/5/2020 at 12:18 PM, ArneNielsen said:

No, I agree, I dont think any of my dream-licenses would ever materialise.

They stay just that - a dream...

I thought the same thing about Nintendo, Stranger Things and 007, and look where we are now :laugh: Never say never! ...unless the IP in question is in obvious violation of TLG‘s policies of course

5 minutes ago, MAB said:

The 18+ doesn't mean that they are doing riskier material suitable for adults only.

Exactly. The 18+ label does not have the same meaning as it does for video games or films :laugh: They won‘t betray their core values like that

Edited by Lego-Freak

On 7/22/2020 at 6:18 PM, MatthewRC said:

Oh, and I have another dream idea for a new licensed LEGO product!

Courage the Cowardly Dog: The Bagge Farmhouse

4465416-courage_l03.jpg

From my perspective, this one would be a Direct-to-Consumer set (similar to the Modular Houses) and would include the following minifigures.

1. Courage (using a new-mold headpiece, standard minifigure torso & arms, and short “mini legs”
  2. Muriel Bagge (using a new-mold headpiece, torso and large minifigure arms similar to Rubeus Hagrid’s, Large minifigure arms; dual-molded standard minifigure legs with black boots pattern would be fine for Muriel)
  3. Eustace Bagge (using a new-mold headpiece and detachable hat, as well as reintroducing the extended minifigure arms and legs from Toy Story back in 2010)
  4. Di Lung (the Asian punk guy) with a flask accessory as seen in the Season 2 episode, “Courage the Fly” (could utilize a recolored Beast Boy hairpiece from the LEGO Dimensions Teen Titans Go Team Pack)
  5. The Weremole (new-mold body with removable Technic pin arms, similar to the Angry Birds Movie minifigures)

Courage’s Computer and Eustace’s Truck would also be crucial to this set.

Even though I found out the hard way that LEGO Ideas won’t allow submissions based on Courage the Cowardly Dog for absurd reasons, LEGO can still internally consider making Courage the Cowardly Dog in LEGO form! I discovered that in the LEGO Ideas guidelines.

After all, LEGO and Cartoon Network seem to have a very good licensing partnership. What do y’all think of this idea?

If there’s one nostalgic Cartoon Network intellectual property that I want in LEGO form, that would be Courage the Cowardly Dog.

I’m quoting this post because the Bagge Farmhouse would make a great 18+ D2C set, and Cartoon Network seems to have a very nice relationship with LEGO.

BTW, I’ve heard rumors of a direct-to-DVD Scooby-Doo/Courage the Cowardly Dog movie coming in 2021!

https://scoobysnax1.weebly.com/blog/two-new-scooby-doo-films-announced-for-2020-and-2021

What do you guys think?

For those questioning whether LEGO would do Bender because he is a crook, remember that they put Snake in the Kwik-E-Mart set (without a weapon though)

Next year is the 35th anniversary of Zelda.Based on this tweet  there is going to be alot of merch including toys.

And it makes you think,since this year is the 35th anniversary for Mario we ended up with Lego sets.Now what if we get Zelda sets next year?

4 hours ago, jonwil said:

For those questioning whether LEGO would do Bender because he is a crook, remember that they put Snake in the Kwik-E-Mart set (without a weapon though)

It's not quite parallel because Bender is a main character in the series while Snake is a side character.

3 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

Next year is the 35th anniversary of Zelda.Based on this tweet  there is going to be alot of merch including toys.

And it makes you think,since this year is the 35th anniversary for Mario we ended up with Lego sets.Now what if we get Zelda sets next year?

:pir-love:

Whenever Mega Construx's Pokémon license expires and LEGO picks it up, I've found a useful part from 71369 Bowser's Castle Boss Battle Expansion Set that could come in handy for Blastoise!

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=67929

This part was used for Bowser's shell, so I thought it would be useful for making Blastoise and other Pokémon.

3 hours ago, Franken said:

I want Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles back. Sets based on the upcoming Dune movie adaptation would've been nice too. 

Yeah, and I heard that Mega Construx is having distribution issues resulting in some product cancellations.

9 hours ago, Franken said:

I don't think Mega Construx still has the license, they stopped making sets. 

Really? Or is that just an assumption? And which license are you referring to?

Edited by MatthewRC

1 hour ago, Franken said:

More of an assumption since they stopped making sets for some time now. 

Were you referring to Pokémon or something else? I just like clarification because I tend to get confused.

25 minutes ago, Franken said:

I clearly said that it's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, that's what I was talking about. Here:

Oh, okay. I forgot, my bad. Thank you.

Believe it or not, Mega Construx still makes TMNT products only within their Heroes line.

Edited by MatthewRC

54 minutes ago, Franken said:

No problem. I think Mega Construx stopped after they released one turtle in heroes(I think heroes is also canceled, not sure). 

I just checked the Mega Construx website, and it appears Raphael is the only one released in 2020. I wonder how much longer Mega Construx will continue to exist?

6 hours ago, Franken said:

I hope it will continue to exist, I like Mega Construx though I wish the license was at lego because MCX distribution is awful. 

I personally don’t care for Mega Construx at all, although I used to buy some Mega Bloks toys as a kid. Since then, I’ve decided to become 100% loyal to LEGO.

My dream lego theme is Avatar (the film of James Cameron). The first film has been a great success and I think it would be cool that Lego make sets for the Avatar 2 film in 2022.

37 minutes ago, dimitri_bricks said:

My dream lego theme is Avatar (the film of James Cameron). The first film has been a great success and I think it would be cool that Lego make sets for the Avatar 2 film in 2022.

Some of the ships and animals and the minifigures would be nice. I really like the AMP suit in the movie, but I'm not sure I want LEGO to make yet another mech!

Still hoping for either a James Bond or Warcraft minifigure theme.

LEGO had made a James Bond car before, and Overwatch/Blizzard already had sets as well. 

Mega has made World of Warcraft sets in the past but that's already quite some years ago.

Edited by TeriXeri