Harkonen

Dream Lego Licensed Themes

I really would like to see some Garfield and Peanuts sets. Below I put two ideas from each theme that LEGO could do as sets.

Garfield:

Christmas Tree Shopping: $20: Figures: Garfield (winter), Jon (winter), and Christmas Tree Farm Owner Details: I forgot what comic strip this is from, but I remember one where they go Christmas tree shopping.

Garfield's Thanksgiving: $35-$40: Figures: Liz (Thanksgiving), Jon (suit), Garfield, and Odie: Details: A dining room area from the Garfield Thanksgiving special, complete with a table full of food.

Peanuts:

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving: $30: Figures: Snoopy (with removable chef's hat and printing for the apron), Woodstock, Charlie Brown, Peppermint Patty, Marcy, Franklin, Linus, Lucy, and Sally: Details: Kind of like a City People Pack. Has the table in chairs from the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special.

A Charlie Brown Christmas: $50-$70: Figures: Snoopy, Charlie Brown (winter), Linus (winter), Sally (winter), Snoopy (winter hat), Lucy (winter), Schroeder, Pig-Pen, Frieda, Patty, Violet, and Linus: Details: There would be several builds. The main build would be the stage n which the play takes place on, Snoopy's dog house with Christmas decorations, the Christmas Tree shop, the frozen lake/pond in which they skate on in the beginning, and Lucy's psychiatrist stand.

I was rewatching Avatar yesterday and it's still holds up. I remember that it was confirmed Avatar is entering the Disney banner like Star Wars did so I wonder...do we have chances for LEGO Avatar sets when the sequels release? I mean, the military in Avatar is formed of mercenaries and their vehicles are scifi and not realistic. Also, LEGO making sets based on the second(though it's still no. 1 for me) highest grossing movie of all time would be something truly special. 

Lego Godzilla vs Kong sets. That would be pretty cool.

Edited by Harkonen

I think I remember that Avatar was supposed to be in Dimensions year 3...so maybe avatar sets are even more likely.. 

I would absolutely love a wave of “real ghostbusters” sets. They’ve got a lot of material to work with, with more vehicles and large ghosts that could be brick built than the movies had, and the colorful jumpsuits and blue proton packs would be distinct variants from the movie minifigs. Plus they’ve already got the ghostbusters license so doing a wave based on the show instead of the movie shouldn’t be impossible, and with playmobil and hasbro both releasing products based on the toon, those designs will be back in fresh circulation. 

17 hours ago, mrfang2 said:

Plus they’ve already got the ghostbusters license so doing a wave based on the show instead of the movie shouldn’t be impossible, and with playmobil and hasbro both releasing products based on the toon, those designs will be back in fresh circulation. 

I imagine they don't want to have similar toys to Playmobil on the shelves at the same time. Given the delay in release of the new movie, there probably won't be any LEGO sets based on it until at least next year now. And I doubt they want cartoon based Real Ghostbusters sets out at the same time as Ghostbusters Afterlife, if they do sets based on the movie.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

I imagine they don't want to have similar toys to Playmobil on the shelves at the same time. Given the delay in release of the new movie, there probably won't be any LEGO sets based on it until at least next year now. And I doubt they want cartoon based Real Ghostbusters sets out at the same time as Ghostbusters Afterlife, if they do sets based on the movie.

Playmobil’s Ghostbusters toys have been shelf-warming since 2017, and the only good time for LEGO to make sets based on The Real Ghostbusters TV series would be some time after Ghostbusters: Afterlife is released.

52 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

Playmobil’s Ghostbusters toys have been shelf-warming since 2017, 

I know they have been out a while. As to shelf warming (as in not selling), I'm not so sure. From talking to a local toystore, they seem to sell quite well but Playmobil replenish stocks consistently. For sure, the number of reviews on amazon (UK) for Playmobil Ghostbusters sets is quite high compared to equivalent LEGO sets. No doubt part of that is due to LEGO's short product life of one year rather the the longer retail lifespan of other companies. Of course, there are other places to buy both, but at least it is an indicative measure that the both sell quite well.

Playmobil were quite smart in that they did a Stay Puft man - something that LEGO didn't manage to do, aside from the little one in Dimensions.

Edited by MAB

On 5/22/2020 at 5:57 PM, icm said:

Thunderbirds - either the 1965 original series or the 2015 remake.  I was so disappointed when Andrew Clark's Ideas project didn't make it through review!

Plus one.
That was a Real Disappointment.

I second all the Avatar the last Airbender recommendations! Its still really popular, even to have a sequel series  and I think Lego missed a trick with the old sets.

The smallest was ok but didn’t do the source material justice at all and the larger set was way too large and boring construction with unattractive box art so no wonder it didn’t sell well. 

I think it would be the ideal new licensed theme after the Harry Potter revamp has run its course; they have made so many useful new moulds already these past few years which look like bending attacks/weapons of all kinds, and there is a huge selection of viable sets they can do which would be really fun and fit LEGOs formulas: vehicles like the ships, airships, the drill etc, flying dragons, Appa and the swamp vine monster could all be sets and then there are lots of different looking ‘fortress’ locations in each nation, Roku’s temple etc 

It might be that it somewhat conflicts with the niche of Ninjago though thinking about it :/

Edited by Bugbot20082

On 6/23/2020 at 4:11 AM, MAB said:

Mostly agree With your points, as much as I want it to happen it’s not realistic, unless the odd amount of new merch for the show is because of plans for a new one after the movie (those “fright feature” figs for afterlife certainly do have a cartoonish art style, like halfway between real and the idw comics...)

the similar products thing I do disagree with though. although all the playmobil stuff says real ghostbusters on it and uses the cartoons as character Design inspiration, all the sets are original vehicles to playmobil, leaving stuff like the toon ecto 1, 2, 3, ichi, aquatic ecto-1, any of the large ghosts, or play sets bases on any of the locations actually from the show (power plants, labs, etc.) as fair game. 

As well as ATLA which has already been said I’d also like to see Korea sets, I know the show isn’t as beloved and there are a few things I take issue with ( Such as giving the avatar cycle a backstory) I still like the show and would love sets. 

Maybe we’ll get something avatar related when the Netflix thing comes out. 

Man I was just thinking, how dope would it be to have a World of Warcraft line in a similar vein to Harry Potter? Hopefully with Mario they begin taking look at more video game licenses.

Now that Lego and Nintendo are working together a Zelda theme isn't a far fetched idea.Cmon Lego if you aren't planning on bringing back the Castle theme anytime soon at least give us Zelda.

36 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

Now that Lego and Nintendo are working together a Zelda theme isn't a far fetched idea.Cmon Lego if you aren't planning on bringing back the Castle theme anytime soon at least give us Zelda.

Agreed! In fact, LEGO is building up their partnership with Nintendo one brick at a time.

Mainly because there’s a new LEGO Nintendo set leaked on Instagram.

Just now, MatthewRC said:

Agreed! In fact, LEGO is building up their partnership with Nintendo one brick at a time.

Mainly because there’s a new LEGO Nintendo set leaked on Instagram.

Yea,Super Mario is a brand new theme but it has already a D2C set.So Lego must have alot of confidence in this partnership.

Oh, and I have another dream idea for a new licensed LEGO product!

Courage the Cowardly Dog: The Bagge Farmhouse

4465416-courage_l03.jpg

From my perspective, this one would be a Direct-to-Consumer set (similar to the Modular Houses) and would include the following minifigures.

1. Courage (using a new-mold headpiece, standard minifigure torso & arms, and short “mini legs”
  2. Muriel Bagge (using a new-mold headpiece, torso and large minifigure arms similar to Rubeus Hagrid’s, Large minifigure arms; dual-molded standard minifigure legs with black boots pattern would be fine for Muriel)
  3. Eustace Bagge (using a new-mold headpiece and detachable hat, as well as reintroducing the extended minifigure arms and legs from Toy Story back in 2010)
  4. Di Lung (the Asian punk guy) with a flask accessory as seen in the Season 2 episode, “Courage the Fly” (could utilize a recolored Beast Boy hairpiece from the LEGO Dimensions Teen Titans Go Team Pack)
  5. The Weremole (new-mold body with removable Technic pin arms, similar to the Angry Birds Movie minifigures)

Courage’s Computer and Eustace’s Truck would also be crucial to this set.

Even though I found out the hard way that LEGO Ideas won’t allow submissions based on Courage the Cowardly Dog for absurd reasons, LEGO can still internally consider making Courage the Cowardly Dog in LEGO form! I discovered that in the LEGO Ideas guidelines.

After all, LEGO and Cartoon Network seem to have a very good licensing partnership. What do y’all think of this idea?

Phineas and Ferb could work really well as a theme. Nearly every episode has a new thing that could be a set, both the inators and the boys inventions.

11 hours ago, Surge said:

Phineas and Ferb could work really well as a theme. Nearly every episode has a new thing that could be a set, both the inators and the boys inventions.

There have been numerous Phineas and Ferb builds submitted to IDEAS, and they barely reach 100 and the better looking ones haven't got past 1000. Which suggests that there is not really a market for them.

On 5/28/2020 at 12:36 AM, jedisquidward said:

Metal Gear Solid, despite how it may seem, is actually a game series very much about pacifism and not killing, even in a war-like environment. The original MGS1 and 2 had levels modelled with Lego bricks, the creator Hideo Kojima was given an official Lego Avatar for his Twitter, and there is even a reference to the Codec system on the windshield in 70164 Hurricane Heist.

"Nowadays anyone with a computer can get combat training. The FPS games that these children love are distributed for free by these companies. Of course its all just virtual training. It's so easy for them to get absorbed by these war games. And before they know it they're in the PMCs holding real guns. These kids end up fighting in proxy wars that have nothing to do with their own lives. They think its cool to fight like this. They think that combat is life. They don't need a reason to fight. After all, for them, its only a game."

Metal gear is an awesome [pipe] dream, but even if it were made, in light of the the Kojima and Konami falling out I personally wouldn't get anything Metal Gear related unless Konami makes amends and Kojima is personally involved. And that would never happen.

3 hours ago, koalayummies said:

"Nowadays anyone with a computer can get combat training. The FPS games that these children love are distributed for free by these companies. Of course its all just virtual training. It's so easy for them to get absorbed by these war games. And before they know it they're in the PMCs holding real guns. These kids end up fighting in proxy wars that have nothing to do with their own lives. They think its cool to fight like this. They think that combat is life. They don't need a reason to fight. After all, for them, its only a game."

Metal gear is an awesome [pipe] dream, but even if it were made, in light of the the Kojima and Konami falling out I personally wouldn't get anything Metal Gear related unless Konami makes amends and Kojima is personally involved. And that would never happen.

Also, LEGO being strongly against military-related objects and the cancellation of the 42113 Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey set would nix the chances of LEGO Metal Gear ever happening. Don't forget that most Metal Gear video games are rated M for Mature.

On 5/29/2020 at 10:06 AM, Gorilla94 said:

. What does "had a good run" mean exactly? I know the Hobbit line wasn´t very successfull... In my opinion the problem was (besides the unpopular third film) that the sets were mostly really bad... especially the laketown sets and the battle of the 5 minifigures

You speak the truth. The LotR sets were in my opinion fairly good, but not kid friendly enough (drab colours, grumpy minifigs, niche source material). The first wave of Hobbit sets were actually decent, and more kid friendly. But the latter waves were shocking. I blame the failure of the Hobbit sets for the lack of a third LotR wave. And I blame the last minute decision to make a third Hobbit film for the rushed and awkward third wave of sets. Remember how they had to stick a "exclusive preview set!" Sticker on the spiders and barrel escape because they moved those scenes to a different movie?

My top 10 most wanted licenses (that have never seen a LEGO product before and that would be a suitable brand fit and aren't owned by or licensed to some other toy company) in no particular order:

1.Looney Tunes (such a vast universe to draw on)

2.The Lion King

3.Fantastic Four (we have Marvel but not Fantastic Four at all, I want a Thing bigfig to go with my Hulk bigfig)

4.Donkey Kong Country

5.The Jetsons

6.Inspector Gadget

7.Codename Kids Next Door

8.Tintin

9.Locke & Key (they did Stranger Things and there isn't anything in Locke & Key that is worse so I dont see a brand-fit problem)

10.Anything that qualifies as Cyberpunk (there must be something that's both really cool AND a suitable brand-fit for LEGO)

Honorable mention to TRON (if they did more sets to go with the light cycles I would LOVE it)

4 hours ago, Redroe said:

The LotR sets were in my opinion fairly good, but not kid friendly enough (drab colours, grumpy minifigs, niche source material). 

Niche source material? The movies are rated 7th, 10th and 15th on imdb. I don't think the source material qualifies as niche.