jus1973

New xtra road tape - thoughts...

Just been browsing the store and saw this.

https://www.lego.com/en-ch/product/road-tape-854048

initially hopeful that this might have solved the issue of placing roads between modulars, but i think its going to be too narrow and repetitive skid marks and grass verge drawn into the road kinda ruin it.  

I’m interested in thoughts to persuade me differently. 

Wow, thats straight out of left field. It says you get 15m which is more generous than expected!

But I agree, i think it's too narrow, too thin and too repetitive for serious use. Great for kids though, I would have loved that when I was little :)

Seems to be 10 studs width (8 cm). Would be at least compatible with e.g. Modulars I think.

I'd agree that the embellishments don't work for more "serious" use, but it does have a lot of play value and I'd definitely have had a ton of fun with it when I was a kid laying out a whole street grid.

That being said, it is just tape and the pattern is very simple, so cutting out the bits with skid marks or grass would be very easy, and you'd probably still end up with 13m of usable, "normal" road.

I don't really see the point of it. The floor is going to need to be very flat and it look semi-permanent. If you have a set up on boards, then painting the features is probably a better solution than this.

While I prefer baseplates now as an adult builder, this would've been something I would've definately enjoyed as a child. I remember actually having something like this and I'd roll my toy cars around on it. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

1 hour ago, JopieK said:

Seems to be 10 studs width (8 cm). Would be at least compatible with e.g. Modulars I think.

I figured with the boarder it worked out at 8 studs road width, so for the 6 wide trucks it’s going to be a bit tight.  I might buy just to see tbh.

This looks perfect for the target market of the product. I'm sure I'll be buying a roll or two for my son once he sees it.

I'm curious how the river tape will look covering a large area. It may work out as a good alternative to blue baseplates for bodies of water.

I am struggling to see how this road sticker is considered LEGO.  Would expect this to be offered by a 3rd party, not TLG.  Also it needs to stick fairly well for play and if that is true will be a real pain to remove from the floor.  Doubtful this will be attractive for parents.  

Road base plates are expensive so maybe this is the only option for some families.  49' of tape would equal a lot of road base plates.  Thinking if I were to purchase a sticker of a road wouldn't limit myself to just getting something produced by TLG.  IMO a sticker is not part of the Lego "system".  Sure opinions will vary so if you approve, go for it. I will be sticking with traditional road base plates. We change our city layout too much to have anything so permanent as a sticker...lol. 

Could maybe use a small chunk of the roadtape to create a side street, but cannot see any use for a whole 15m role myself. No curves either.

The river tape on the other hand looks more interesting. Could be used for large bodies of water instead of blue baseplates, and even rivers as you could create the banks with plates; no need to stick to a straight line.

Baseplates are for eternity, even my great grandkids could play with them in the future... for 9€ you can find much better Lego sets

I think AFOLs would lean more towards the water roll than the street. I’ve seen a number of town layouts that use something other than baseplates for water. 

I think that it's absolutely great for it's price. For kids. When I was a kid I could only dream of the road like this. Not for serious mocs obviously but it's a great offer for young fans.

I remember any pattern on the mats in a living room was a road :) 

Thanks one and all. I thought that i was being a bit cruel about it not being right for AFOL use.  Since my budget for roads in my town doesn’t stretch to brick built, or possibly even base plates, as I’d have to cut them as I don’t want the extra studs at pavement height at the sides, I had hoped this might be a suitable replacement.  Perhaps I’m going to have to go down the non Lego route.  Having no colour printer at home, means possibly some inventive solutions.

I don't care for the road tape, but I'm definitely going to get the water along with some fish stickers and decorate a wall. It's weird but in a wonderful way... :-)

Mylenium

6 hours ago, jus1973 said:

Thanks one and all. I thought that i was being a bit cruel about it not being right for AFOL use.  Since my budget for roads in my town doesn’t stretch to brick built, or possibly even base plates, as I’d have to cut them as I don’t want the extra studs at pavement height at the sides, I had hoped this might be a suitable replacement.  Perhaps I’m going to have to go down the non Lego route.  Having no colour printer at home, means possibly some inventive solutions.

If you don't have a printer, you can send your custom designs to a print shop to be printed on vinyl. If you can wait, you send the job overseas for a bigger cost savings. Our LUG had custom water, desert and green vinyl mats printed.  We laid out several images on a large sheet and cut them to size when received the printout.  It was cheaper that way.  We used them for our event displays.  Quick easy roll up into a tube at the end of the day.  :classic:

I wish Lego would put the effort the put into all these extra non-Lego products into just making the road baseplates in individual packs (instead of packing the most sought after with the least useful road patterns). I can see that the road tape might be good for kids making a city on a budget but I can see no use whatsoever for the narrow repetitive water tape.

I bet this is going to be a real pain for parents to remove from their oak solid wood flooring after a couple of months........

On 5/24/2020 at 12:15 AM, dr_spock said:

Our LUG had custom water, desert and green vinyl mats printed.  We laid out several images on a large sheet and cut them to size when received the printout. 

This sounds rad, do you have pictures?

On 5/21/2020 at 9:34 PM, Brandon Pea said:

While I prefer baseplates now as an adult builder, this would've been something I would've definately enjoyed as a child. I remember actually having something like this and I'd roll my toy cars around on it. 

I have the exact same opinion.

On 5/22/2020 at 6:23 AM, LegoDW said:

I am struggling to see how this road sticker is considered LEGO.

I second you, maybe we are sticking the ABS material too much to the LEGO brand?

I have some of those newer cardboard road plates , and I do consider them LEGO, not LEGO bricks of course, but LEGO branded.