ABSAddict

(MOC) Seoul Korea, South Gate (Sungnyemun)

That's a really cool MOC you built of the South Gate in Seoul! I'm actually hoping to travel to Seoul later this year.

Would you mind sharing any of your experiences visiting the real gate? Was your model pretty accurate in capturing details? Also, as someone who's been there, any other spots you'd recommend checking out in Seoul?

I'd love any local insights as I start planning my trip. Thanks for sharing your awesome build too - always love seeing representations of places I want to visit one day!

On 11/15/2023 at 2:43 PM, msk6003 said:

As a korean, I didn't expect see this on here. Very well made!

Since you're local to South Korea, I was wondering if you could recommend some lesser-known places visitors shouldn't miss? The big tourist areas are great, but I'd love to get off the beaten path a bit too. What neighborhood or part of the city really embodies the local culture and vibe? Any small cafes, parks, or nightlife spots you'd recommend checking out? Trying to plan an authentic experience beyond just the major sights.

Edited by breadandbutter

31 minutes ago, breadandbutter said:

Since you're local to South Korea, I was wondering if you could recommend some lesser-known places visitors shouldn't miss? The big tourist areas are great, but I'd love to get off the beaten path a bit too. What neighborhood or part of the city really embodies the local culture and vibe? Any small cafes, parks, or nightlife spots you'd recommend checking out? Trying to plan an authentic experience beyond just the major sights.

Although I live in Korea, I don't really like traveling, so I recommend asking someone else. All I can recommend is that you visit places other than famous places in Seoul, such as Itaewon.

If you plan to visit in korea during august, you can watch korea AFOL's exhibition. There is no exact date yet, but it will definitely be in August.

Edited by msk6003

Hey thanks for the tip about the Korea AFOL exhibition - that sounds really cool! I'll have to check dates when they're announced and see if our trip lines up.

As for recommendations on lesser known areas, I actually just booked a local guide named Lee from https://gowithguide.com/korea/seoul/guides for our Seoul trip. She seemed really knowledgeable about both the major sights but also gave some great suggestions for neighborhoods to explore beyond the usual tourist spots.

She recommended checking out the Bukchon Hanok village just north of Gyeongbokgung Palace - said it's like stepping back in time wandering the alleys there. Also mentioned Dongdaemun Design Plaza might be worth a visit for its exhibitions beyond just the architecture. I'm definitely going to ask her for some cafes or parks off the beaten path too.