I had actually built these over a year ago, but it just hit me today that I never posted them online. I was aiming to find a balance between something that's close to minifig scale, albeit without sacrificing detail and functionality. It was the advent of part 26047 Plate, Modified 1 x 1 Rounded with Handle that enabled me to build these so that the front legs can rotate inward when switching to the rolling mode. I have six completed droidekas that I decided to pose at different angles alongside a B1 and B2 battle droid for reference. I will provide a parts list and breakdown if requested.

Droidekas

Droidekas

Droideka rolling mode

Droideka

Droideka

Edited by Aaron

This Droideka is very good! It is to scale, and looks better than most Lego Droidekas. The abundance of greebles also gives it that sort of hi-tech appearance with all the different wires and such that it gets in the movies.

19 minutes ago, Beleg the Ranger said:

This Droideka is very good! It is to scale, and looks better than most Lego Droidekas. The abundance of greebles also gives it that sort of hi-tech appearance with all the different wires and such that it gets in the movies.

How is this in scale:/

1 minute ago, muhkuh said:

Minifig scale, I mean. In the movies, if I remember correctly, they are a bit bigger than a tall human (Qui Gon), thus making this about minifig scale. If I am wrong, correct me.

44 minutes ago, muhkuh said:

I could try shortening/repositioning it if it looks too tall. Photographs make them look slightly larger when in person they're actually not much taller than a minifig. I'll look into replacing the headlight brick tomorrow since it's a remnant of my previous design where I had it attached to the back curved slope, and feels a bit underdeveloped and out of place now. I could probably go a stud shorter and curve the head down/forward slightly more.

I like it. I'd like to build a couple when I get around to a clone wars MOC, so a parts list etc would be great :classic:

From memory, in SWBF2, they're about 2m tall, so would be larger than a minifig and a person of average height. Happy to be corrected.

I came up with a shorter version that may or may not look better and be closer to minifig scale. It's a tough call.

Side view:

Droideka - short vs tall version

5883f97e3ecbec16cf1525040be67089c1b1685f

Front view:

Droideka - short vs tall version

340?cb=20141107002926

Better repositioning with the front bent downward and the arms forward also shaves some height off the bigger version and makes it look more movie accurate:

Droideka

Droideka

Droideka

Edited by Aaron

On wiki, its hight is 1,83 

no offense, i love the droidikas, but in this scale all ones ive seen dont represent its beauty... it doenst work in lego in this scale, but thats just my opinion:))

Edited by muhkuh

4 hours ago, muhkuh said:

On wiki, its hight is 1,83 

no offense, i love the droidikas, but in this scale all ones ive seen dont represent its beauty... it doenst work in lego in this scale, but thats just my opinion:))

My droideka is about 20% taller than a super battle droid figure, when they should be roughly the same height (1.83 and 1.91 meters) if it were perfectly to scale. I did the best I could to come up what I felt was a fair compromise between scale and detail while I acknowledging that my designs aren't for everyone, and that some will be disappointed by the end result. I thank you for your feedback and accept any criticism with an open mind.

5 hours ago, Aaron said:

My droideka is about 20% taller than a super battle droid figure, when they should be roughly the same height (1.83 and 1.91 meters) if it were perfectly to scale. I did the best I could to come up what I felt was a fair compromise between scale and detail while I acknowledging that my designs aren't for everyone, and that some will be disappointed by the end result. I thank you for your feedback and accept any criticism with an open mind.

Honestly it's such a small different that I think it's fine. Like the guy says, droidikas are tough at this scale. Personally i think this is by far the best anyone's done yet.