RedbeardsCove

[WIP] 6255 Golden Medallion Comic - Colorization and DTP

Arrr Pirates! First of all, nice to meet you all! It's my first post. Just to introduce myself. I'm admin of Redbeard's Cove FB page and Redbeard's Cove Shipmates group.

I wanted to share and keep you updated with the most recent project: ?????? ?? ???? - (6255 sequel) - colourization and DTP prepress. I have already set a proper format (the same as 6255 comic book). I have optimized scans and cleared JPEG artefacts etc.

Recently I have posted an article about @Sadie Meowsalot

Now I'm in the process of colourization. It will take some time but, in my opinion, it's important to revive this legacy:

Current status preview [WIP] Additional translations will be included. English by @Runamuck , Danish (English proofing) by @Piraten and German by  Mike Weißflog

49901317122_2bd872c738_b.jpg

@RedbeardsCove   Wonderful news! Yesterday, I just posted in the topic The Golden Medallion - looking for a Photoshop expert the complete translation by @Runamuck and his brother – discovered a few years ago thanks to @TalonCard which had published it on rru –, partially reread and corrected, but especially formatted by myself. I'll finish my proofreading, even if I'm probably far from being the most proficient in English here, but above all, I could deal with the French translation if you're interested?

Far be it from me to belittle @Piraten's work, but the original black and white version I have (shared by @Sadie Meowsalot) is already in Danish, isn't it?

?
40 minutes ago, CyregO said:

@RedbeardsCove   Wonderful news! Yesterday, I just posted in the topic The Golden Medallion - looking for a Photoshop expert the complete translation by @Runamuck and his brother – discovered a few years ago thanks to @TalonCard which had published it on rru –, partially reread and corrected, but especially formatted by myself. I'll finish my proofreading, even if I'm probably far from being the most proficient in English here, but above all, I could deal with the French translation if you're interested?

Far be it from me to belittle @Piraten's work, but the original black and white version I have (shared by @Sadie Meowsalot) is already in Danish, isn't it?

Sure! French version would be a superb addition. @Piraten was about to proof the English one. I have to check out your post :) 

Hello and welcome aboard matey ! :pir-huzzah2:

Nice to see those comics gathering some new interest.

Just a little remark : your topic title here in the forum should mention your talking about the comics, for now it's not really easy, by reading your title, to guess what you're talking about.

I can add this mention for you if you want.

Good job so far. Don't hesitate to share with us news of your progress.

37 minutes ago, Faladrin said:

Hello and welcome aboard matey ! :pir-huzzah2:

Nice to see those comics gathering some new interest.

Just a little remark : your topic title here in the forum should mention your talking about the comics, for now it's not really easy, by reading your title, to guess what you're talking about.

I can add this mention for you if you want.

Good job so far. Don't hesitate to share with us news of your progress.

Of course! I wasn't aware. Thank you!

On 5/16/2020 at 10:24 PM, RedbeardsCove said:

Arrr Pirates! First of all, nice to meet you all! It's my first post. Just to introduce myself. I'm admin of Redbeard's Cove FB page and Redbeard's Cove Shipmates group.

Welcome to our forums!

The Classic Pirates follows Redbeard's Cove on Facebook and Instagram - so if anyone wants more great LEGO Pirates Content here is how to connect:

Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/redbeards.cove/

Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/redbeardscove/

Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/542535226602398/ 

On 5/16/2020 at 10:24 PM, RedbeardsCove said:

I wanted to share and keep you updated with the most recent project: ?????? ?? ???? - (6255 sequel) - colourization and DTP prepress.

Thank you - this appears to be coming along very nicely!

1 hour ago, RedbeardsCove said:

Of course! I wasn't aware. Thank you!

No problem ! And it's done ! :pir-laugh:

This is an absolutely fantastic project @RedbeardsCove!! I'm so glad you've taken it on.

I've been a member of the FB group and followed your page for a while and love what you do. Just followed the Instagram account too! 

Very much looking forward to seeing the results! 

2 hours ago, RedbeardsCove said:

Sure! French version would be a superb addition. @Piraten was about to proof the English one. I have to check out your post :) 

@RedbeardsCove Oh, okay, I get it. You can refer him to "my" version if you want. And yes, you can go check it out too, I finished the proofreading.

Do you know if anyone transcribed the original script? I don't speak a word of Danish, and I'll rely on Runamuck's English version to do my French translation anyway, but it would still be nice to be able to pass the source text through an automatic translator and make sure I don't stray too far from it?
Maybe Runamuck hand-typed it when he was doing his own translation?

Speaking of which, is it possible to tag members from a laptop? I tried by prefixing them with a @ like you did, but as you can see, it didn't work (I copy-pasted from the post just above to tag you)... Do you select the name as a link?

5 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Welcome to our forums! The Classic Pirates follows Redbeard's Cove on Facebook and Instagram 

Thank you Classic Pirates! Arrr!

[WIP] At first I used green tones for the main Pirate character in the bottom left corner. However, I noticed this Pirate in 6255 (yellow bandana). It was a very small scene. He wears a red striped shirt. Now colours are set to "Pirate Red/Black Stripes Shirt".

49902850842_d7c72dc696_h.jpg

3 hours ago, CyregO said:

Do you know if anyone transcribed the original script?

Unfortunately, I don't know. I think there was no transcription but I can OCR sans to extract original text :)

4 hours ago, PxChris said:

This is an absolutely fantastic project @RedbeardsCove!! I'm so glad you've taken it on.

I've been a member of the FB group and followed your page for a while and love what you do. Just followed the Instagram account too! 

Very much looking forward to seeing the results! 

Arrr! Thank you, Pirate! It will take some time but I want to be precise with the original 6255. 

19 minutes ago, RedbeardsCove said:

Unfortunately, I don't know. I think there was no transcription but I can OCR sans to extract original text :)

Since I don't know how to do this myself, it would be a great help, yes. Thank you.

From the little we've seen so far, I really appreciate the care and references you bring to your coloring.

I don't know if this will help the other translators of the comics, but I've updated and completed the list of all the characters, ships and named places in the LEGO Classic Pirates universe, as well as their different representations, in as many languages as possible. (Originally, it's also a work that had been started and largely advanced by Runamuck and TalonCard, among others, precisely on this forum.)

13 hours ago, CyregO said:

Since I don't know how to do this myself, it would be a great help, yes. Thank you.

From the little we've seen so far, I really appreciate the care and references you bring to your coloring.

I don't know if this will help the other translators of the comics, but I've updated and completed the list of all the characters, ships and named places in the LEGO Classic Pirates universe, as well as their different representations, in as many languages as possible. (Originally, it's also a work that had been started and largely advanced by Runamuck and TalonCard, among others, precisely on this forum.)

Arrr fantastic reference! Unfortunately, OCR didn't return any good results :(  There is always a problem with comic books. Although the text fields were correctly recognised, the exported text got corrupted.  

Yes, in the meantime, I also searched what it was, and I tested a free one online, with a page from the comic book. Indeed, it didn't really do much good...

Never mind, I trust the translation of Runamuck, who had already done a remarkable job of transcribing and translating the 8 Pirates audio dramas and some from other themes. I hope Piraten will be able to validate (or invalidate) the few alterations I made to Runamuck's version, since it's the one I'm working from...

It's going well. At this rate, maybe I'll be done by tonight? An honor to serve Captain Redbeard himself! ^^

(I hope you'll get my answer, but again, if you or someone else can tell me how to notify another user on laptop...)

If anyone is curious, I can offer a little information on the original version I worked on, even if it was a bit of hush hush work when I originally got it.

Make sure to mention that the comic is property of LEGO.

The version I was provided years ago is in Danish, so no need to translate it back into that.

Although the comic was never published elements of it were reused in other LEGO Pirates things. Some of the art was traced for the Ladybird books. Elements of the story were reused for the later German audio dramas that feature the islanders. I assume that some of the islander names originate from this comic as well.

Somewhat off topic, but since we have a few people here who speak French, have any of you ever taken a look at the scans on Brickfactory? There are a few French magazines and comics, even a couple of pirates themed ones.

https://www.brickfactory.info/specials/index.html

4 hours ago, Runamuck said:

If anyone is curious, I can offer a little information on the original version I worked on, even if it was a bit of hush hush work when I originally got it.

Yes, of course! It would be great. If there is any other reference that can be shared it would be very helpful.

Make sure to mention that the comic is property of LEGO.

Yes, it was mentioned in the post. 

Some of the art was traced for the Ladybird books

I have all four. I will take a look. As of now, I didn't notice any specific comic panel in books.

have any of you ever taken a look at the scans on Brickfactory?

Aye! I did. It was mentioned by @Sadie Meowsalot 

A bit off-topic from what we were just discussing earlier, but given this topic is intended for the general discussion of this sort of stuff I thought I'd share anyway. Recently I contacted Michèle Lecreux, one of the developers for the old obscure French Pirates comic LEGO LES PIRATES et la malle au trésor developed and published in conjunction with the French monthly P'tit Loup magazine by Disney, and posed some questions to her about its development. (For reference, you can find scans of the comic on this page, and it should look like this) Nothing too groundbreaking, but I figured it was worth sharing anyway:

"I am glad to send you my answers. Let me know if you need other informations.
Best regards,
Michèle

1) Were there more mini comics like this that you or anyone else at P'tit Loup developed, or only the one?
P’tit Loup magazine published within each issue a mini booklet about a playful theme. The booklet was sometimes sponsored. That was the case with LEGO.

2) How did development of this comic begin - that is, how did it originate and from where?
In collaboration with the advertising department, we would rather whenever possible publish games or contests than simple advertising pages. I was then responsible for all the Disney-licensed products for French magazines when LEGO launched its “pirates” product line. We proposed to LEGO, as we often did with advertisers, to sponsor a mini booklet. LEGO accepted the idea, and we chose the option one fotonovela + one practical work section “create your own board game using LEGO bricks”. 
3) Were there any other LEGO comics planned that didn't make it to release, or any story elements, such as scripts, concepts, models, illustrations that were cut or unfinished?
No other projects of any kind were designed in collaboration with LEGO.

4) How much involvement did LEGO have in the development process, and how?
We did all the design work (script, storyboard, game designing, photo shooting and editing). We then asked LEGO, of course, for their approval of the issue before publication but they were not involved in the process."- Michèle Lecreux

@CyregO another challenge Arrr :)

001.jpg

9 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

If you click the link, it gets you to Facebook not Instagram.

Thank for spotting that - it's now fixed.

But also annoying how the forum's text editor can allow that to happen so easily. 

This is absolutely fantastic! Thank you so much for doing this! I can't wait to read this to my son.

If you'd like to do some work on The Golden Medallion, I can send you my original scans. And you probably already saw this, but one of our fellow members also posted the work he did in this thread: 

Does anyone have the front cover to this sequel?

43 minutes ago, jodawill said:

If you'd like to do some work on The Golden Medallion, I can send you my original scans. And you probably already saw this, but one of our fellow members also posted the work he did in this thread: 

Yes, I saw that. You can email me files to redbeardscoveshipmates@gmail.com I have a few projects going on right now. Probably it will take some time before I have some free time but here is an example of  1989 cover restoration plus colour grading and text replacement I did last year (full resolution image is linked). Basically this is what I do (and more :) for a living. 

49913967392_1ed66aeb70_k.jpg

47 minutes ago, jodawill said:

Does anyone have the front cover to this sequel?

I haven't seen a cover. So my plan is to draw one :) Still I need some time Arrr :) 

18 hours ago, RedbeardsCove said:

Yes, I saw that. You can email me files to redbeardscoveshipmates@gmail.com I have a few projects going on right now. Probably it will take some time before I have some free time but here is an example of  1989 cover restoration plus colour grading and text replacement I did last year (full resolution image is linked). Basically this is what I do (and more :) for a living. 

49913967392_1ed66aeb70_k.jpg

I haven't seen a cover. So my plan is to draw one :) Still I need some time Arrr :) 

That image restoration is absolutely amazing. For some reason, I've just never seen anyone touch up old Lego images before. Most of the scans online are pretty crappy. I'm so excited to see this stuff brought back to life! I have a four year old soon who loves old Lego stories, and he's going to be ecstatic when he sees this. I'll have to find a place that will print it properly, like a real comic book! :pir-classic:

18 hours ago, jodawill said:

I've just never seen anyone touch up old Lego images before

You will love this one

UHD (6K) artwork from Dimitri Nicomanis.

A recreation of a classic 1989 LEGO Pirates promotional shot. This was part of a shoot for issue 10 of the Brick Fanatics Magazine.

Canon EOS 750D
EF35mm f/2 IS USM

2 hours ago, RedbeardsCove said:

A recreation of a classic 1989 LEGO Pirates promotional shot.

So Dimitri Nicomanis created new dioramas to photograph?  In other words, he didn't touch up archived photos or outtakes from 1989?