Parts count: 3066

2x L motor

2x servo motor

1x sbrick

Power supply: 1x8881 BB/1x8878 BB/1xBuwizz

Features:

Driving - 2x L motor

Steering - servo motor

4-speed gearbox - I (1:2,08) II (1,67:1) III (1,25:1) IV (0,8:1)

Changing gears - servo motor

Front independent suspension

Rear floating suspensionWorking inline 4 cylinders engine

Working steering wheel

Adjustable front seats

Openable doors (front with lock)

Openable bonnet from inside

Openable trunk

Removable bodywork

Front and rear LED lights

800x573.jpg

I came up with the idea of building Fiat 125p at the beginning of this year. I started the build in the March, and after two months the model is ready.

For driving I used two L motors, which powers the fourspeed gearbox. I wanted to make it as low as possible to have enough space for interior. Apart from the gears it is 2 studs high, thanks to use the Chiron’s orange brick. The gears are changed using servo motor and a simple stepper. Gear shifting is reliable in 80% cases while driving and 100% while it's stoped. This is probably due to friction while driving. Most often second gear does not want to shift to third. This gears are on both sides of the gearbox, it probably results from that. I changed axles and lubricated the driving rings, but the effort was the same.

Gearbox ratio:

I 2,08:1

II 1,67:1

III 1,25:1

IV 0,8:1

The car drives quite smoothly. In the fourth gear it reaches 4 kph, while powering by buwizz in ludicrous mode.

For steering there is servo, which also moves the steering wheel.

800x573.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x325.jpg

800x533.jpg

What I chose as one of my goals was removable bodywork. It required a slighty different build of the chassis and completely different build of the bodywork. The most important was to route the wires correctly from the front of car (2x L motor, servo and lights) to the rear, where there is sbrick. It required using two extension wires 20cm and 50cm.

800x533.jpg

Time for manual functions. Fiat has got front doors with lock. It has similar construction as in my previous MOCs, it works thanks to a rubber. The front seats are adjustable in probably the easiest way. There are no any worms or gear racks, the adjustment works thanks to a lever, which moves the seat. It works similar to wishbones in suspension. On the passagner’s site there is a lever to open the bonnet. Unfortunately on the driver’s side there wasn’t enough space, due to the steering wheel and wires. Bonnet and trunk has got hinges to prevent it from falling down.

800x533.jpg

While building the bodywork the most important was to provide it with adequate rigidity, because it is another part. The roof gives the stiffness, which (first time in my MOC) performs the function of strengthening the body work, just like in a real car. Most of the work was with the body line. Looking from upside on Fiat, it is a bit rounded: narrows at the front and rear of the car, and widens in the middle. I solved it through not entirely legal connection: liftarm 15 at slight angle. The door frames also required a little bit of effort. I tried to use as few as possible this, because of it’s terrible price in red.

800x533.jpg

Curiosities:

1. The pistons are moving in the same order as in the real engine.

2. The air filter also bolts the body to the chassis. After turning it the lock in the front is released, and after removing axles in the middle and in the rear, you can remove the whole bodwork.

800x600.jpg

This is the first model to which I made instructions. It required some patience with stud.io and LDcad. They are available at rebickable:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-42230/Porsche96/fiat-125p

Few sample pages:

800x565.jpg

800x565.jpg

800x565.jpg

Some additional photos

800x533.jpg

800x339.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

Gallery

Fiat 125p is ready. Time to implement new ideas :)

5 minutes ago, MinusAndy said:

Fantastic! Is this the same as the polski fiat?

Yes, the polski fiat is Fiat 125p. There is also Fiat 125, which looks a little different (square front lights instead of round ones).

I really like how you’ve taken a very mundane vehicle and with really good technic functions and an eye for lines and detail, made this. I think it’s brilliant. 

Beautiful model. I especially like the scale and the wheels you used. These wheels are almost the only larger LEGO wheels with near-correct proportions (tyre width vs height). Great to see they can very well be used for medium scale cars!

Very good replication. Once upon a time when I was a kid this was luxury car where I live...

Thanks for all the nice words ?

6 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

These wheels are almost the only larger LEGO wheels with near-correct proportions (tyre width vs height). 

You are right, they are the only one for a normal, non-supercar vehicle. There are also 94.3x38, but they fit to a much larger scale. 

12 minutes ago, Porsche96 said:

There are also 94.3x38, but they fit to a much larger scale. 

Yes, but I even find those to be a little too wide for their height actually. The only other true option would be the super rare wheels of the Model Team Giant Truck 'Black Cat' (just slightly larger than the ones you used).

Fantastic replica, the blueprint overlay match is amazing. Bravo :thumbup:

Amazing! 

Have you noticed that it must have been designed originaly based on the american muscle cars from the 60-70s?

Love the "duży Fiat" 

Thanks!

On 5/16/2020 at 9:37 PM, Ivorrr said:

Have you noticed that it must have been designed originaly based on the american muscle cars from the 60-70s?

No, I haven't, but they are quite similar :D

Wow I love it, it is really as cute in lego than in real. The best is how the proportions perfectly fit the real model, nice job ! Maybe some blue pins on the body could be replaced by grey friction less pins for better color matching ?

Edited by alfredboyer
typo

Congratulation for this beautiful model! I would add some brown axles or pieces to get authentic corrosion spots :laugh:

Thanks! 

6 hours ago, alfredboyer said:

Maybe some blue pins on the body could be replaced by grey friction less pins for better color matching ?

That's a good idea. 

6 hours ago, Go-Kart said:

I would add some brown axles or pieces to get authentic corrosion spots :laugh:

Haha ? It is brand new, straight from the factory, just spent some time on the parking lot... ?

Awesome execution of 125p! I love this one :pir-love:

Great job, well done.