thomassio

[MOC] Belle époche Modular building

49887578577_e16745f7e6_c.jpg

Belle Époche by Thomas van Urk, on Flickr

49887182991_754da653b6_c.jpg

49886588498_626e317094_c.jpg

So this isn't based on any real building. That is one reason why it was completed relatively quickly. The other reason is the current lockdown.

I was mainly inspired by the architecture in Brussels. I tried to improve on my building techniques and I'm quite happy with the result.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by thomassio

Nice! The Tan/White combination works very well, also with LBG and dark red. Nice window techniques also.
Stored in my inspiration folder :)

This is a gorgeous building!  Nice use of the shells for the corner balconies.

This reminds me of a lot of brick buildings in Oslo (mostly built in 1850-1910). Impressive, both on lego building skill and architecture understanding. I seldom manage to stay within a certain epoche on builds from my imagination. Well done! :thumbup:

This is wonderful!  I particularly like the roof and the urns at the top.  The clamshell balconies are great as well.  And while they're not new, I still love those streetlights!  Beautiful build!  :sweet:

Fantastic work, love all the small details everywhere. You managed to create a highly detailed exterior without maing it looked crammed or untidy.

Quite a feat!

How stable is the arch-work above the windows?

Lovely work! Nice use of some older pieces too. I especially like the roofwork, is that a plow piece?

This is another fantastic build from you! The details, as well as the building techniques are stunning.

Amazing! This is one of the best modular buildings I have seen.

Excellent, great job on that white and tan detail combo.

Beautiful building. It reflects nicely some of the architectural elements. Personally, I'm not a fan of "stripped" buildings. I've seen them before, and with many I felt the strips sort of overtake the overall patterns and profile. It's the same here, the strips hide the details, and a closer look reveals many gems. The tiny pillars between windows, the curved window finishes, the ornamental bowls at the roof end, the shelves for the corner balconied. I admit in monochrome it would not look as presenrable. Nice work.

Now that's a beautiful facade.
Me living near the source of inspiration has nothing to do with that statement. No Sir!

I have to remember what you used for handles/knobs on the street level doors. 

Wow! I can't describe how much I like it! The only thing I would like to change - is number of floors, I would make it 1 floor lower but again I simply love the facade! 

Btw I know that it's made different here but I always wondered do 1x1 plates inside of arches above windows/door frames are considered as illegal technique?

Really nice! Interesting shaping and colouring and a very imposing overall presence. I really like the smaller details you've put in the roof; especially the transition between the façades and the grey roof: such a commmon piece but one that I almost always avoid from using due to it being rather bulky for that purpose. I also really like the larger windows on the left. I even feel like without them the whole building could look a little crowded with all the varying window shapes and number of smaller windows. The only miss for me is the ground level. It lacks a bit of charisma and feels a little dead. Also the pointly bits are a bit awkward to me. Anyway, this oozes style and inches close to a 10 for me. A stunning building. :pir-wub:

People have said it before but the colour combination is very effective. I also find the combination of wheel arches & 1x1 plates above the windows is perfect as well. Those bulldozer shovels as lead sheeting on the roof is a great idea, too. Great build and thanks for sharing!

Those are some great details throughout the entire building. I especially like the ground floor, the half pyramid pieces are a nice touch. 

Love how you did the arches and brilliant how you incorporated the skylights. Excellent job.