Sign in to follow this  
Elderon Eldar

[MOC] Voyage of the Fyrdraca

He rested his hand on the top bowstrake. It felt good to sail again. The creaking of the wood and the oars as his ship the Fyrdraca flew over the waters of the Mirrorsea. The sea breeze blowing through his hair gave him happiness.
A small island slid by a small tree waving in the same breeze, almost as if it were wishing them farewell on their voyage. A spray of sea water splashed in his face as the bow pierced a wave. Rán was merciful this day.
“So? What do you think of the offer?” the fool said.

Hroar sighed and turned to him.
“Why do you think this offer would end any other way than our last?”
“Yes, but this time it is different. The Jarl is wounded. He is old and will not endure much longer.”
“He endured me. Do not underestimate Jarl Rygnar.”
The fool smiled.
“But you will take up the challenge Hroar? If the Jarl sees fit to die?”
Hroar contemplated his words. The challenge against the Jarl had left him defeated. And though he was able to wound his old friend, it did not seem enough. The Jarl had not only defeated him, but he had also refused him Valhalla. Rygnar had exiled him. Humiliated him.
But it was the words he said before he exiled him that had hurt the most.
“You are wrong, Hroar. They deceive you.”
There was a look of disappointment in Rygnar’s eyes when he uttered those words. And it caused a doubt in Hroar that he had not felt before. Ever. Hroar’s gaze fell upon Thorfinn. Was this one of ‘They’ that Rygnar warned him about? It had been Thorfinn who came to him and planted the idea in his head to pursue the challenge. And now he wanted him to do something that went against the honor and tradition that had made their people so strong, feared and even revered along the continent.
“Hroar?”
The shrewd eyes on this fool’s head looked at him trying to read Hroar’s face.
“I will. But first I need to see an old friend.”

49892124691_5299051502_c.jpg

49891611828_a182a5173f_c.jpg

I had wanted to build a brickbuilt longship for quite some time and I now finally had a good reason. If you go to my Flickr I linked to the build I based the ship on. It has the ability to clip on shields, but the Norsemen hardly did that when they were not going Viking. Viking is not a person, but an act of taking to sees and do some raiding and piracy. The shields were there to impress and instill fear in their enemies, once they would just go travelling the shields would be stored in the bilge or under the steering platform. They were much to valuable to just hang over the edge of the side, potentially losing them in some rough weather. The same goes with the beasthead on the prow. They were there to frighten spirits (and enemies) of foreign lands and would be removed once they reached friendly lands as to not frighten friendly spirits. That concludes my little history lesson for today:innocent:

Edited by Elderon Eldar

Like I said on the LowLUG forum: another beautiful boat and a nice story to go with it:thumbup:

I also love the use of the little shell on the beach and the crow(or raven? :wink:) in the tree to add a little life to the island!

Very nice ship! I especially like the shaping of the draconic figurehead. 

I don’t care for fleshies, but appreciate that not everyone is a yellowist.

If I may make a small suggestion, perhaps a mid-blue background instead of a green one. Also, shouldn’t the rowers be facing backwards?

Edited by AmperZand

55 minutes ago, AmperZand said:

Very nice ship! I especially like the shaping of the draconic figurehead. 

I don’t care for fleshies, but appreciate that not everyone is a yellowist.

If I may make a small suggestion, perhaps a mid-blue background instead of a green one. Also, shouldn’t the rowers be facing backwards?

I was a yellowist myself for a long time as well. But when I started op playing D&D with the figures I wanted a more diverse skin tone for my players. And if you use medium dark flesh, reddish brown and flesh yellow doesn't really add up and stands out as rather unnatural in my opinion. So I made the switch to flesh 

And the rowers should indeed be facing the other way round, but I liked this better for the picture so you could see their faces.

Very nice longboat.  I like the dragon head.  The wrapped up sail is a nice feature.  I do agree that when using different flesh tones with minifigs the yellow does stand out but so does the flesh tones when you use them with a predominately yellow group of figures.  I don't mind either but certain tones look better with certain torso's.  You do have a very nice group of figs.  

10 hours ago, Elderon Eldar said:

I was a yellowist myself for a long time as well. But when I started op playing D&D with the figures I wanted a more diverse skin tone for my players. And if you use medium dark flesh, reddish brown and flesh yellow doesn't really add up and stands out as rather unnatural in my opinion. So I made the switch to flesh 

And the rowers should indeed be facing the other way round, but I liked this better for the picture so you could see their faces.

On 5/13/2020 at 2:34 PM, Elderon Eldar said:

If you like this boat, I think you're gonna love my next build.

Yeah... :pir-oh:
Wonderful ship, indeed!

edit: and the story unfolds nicely, too!

Edited by Aine