Sign in to follow this  
cehnot

Doc Brown's 1985 Garage

What started out as a wall display for my new 2020 six-stud wide Time Machine, ended up being a whole parking lot with Burger King currently in production. This project keeps getting bigger each time I return to the file. For now, I present to you the finished Doc Brown's minified scale garage complete with opening garage doors. I may need to update the file since I last worked on it to modify the front gate, but overall the model looks fantastic with all the play features from the first film. In order to design this doc I used deleted scenes, screen stills, replayed and paused scenes, researched production stills and gathered as much info as I could from BTTF fans and collectors in order to properly scale this and get the final dimensions to work in LEGO. In order to recreate the parking lot I used google maps to properly promotion the Burger king and lot. I had a friend go and measure the actual garage in California, found blu prints with pre production nots on how the final set was changed to fit and match the actual garage. Hint: you never see the rear of the exterior so Doc Brown added on a bathroom in the back sometime in 1955. 

This model features a removable roof for access to the interior. The elements from 1985 in their proper location, a hinge in the shelves to blast Marty into the boxes and shelves and recreate the falling over effect. Anyways, onto the renders.

The Exterior:

I realized I may have selected the fence and accidentally slid it down too far on the left when placing it upside down. It should not be crashing into the bottom fence. 

doc_garage_062919a_2.jpg

doc_garage_062919a_3.jpg

doc_garage_062919a_4.jpg

As I keep expanding the location set I am reminded how difficult it will be doing the interior of the 1980s Burger King when there are no photos of it. So many similar design photos so I may just build the roof and call it done. Ideally I want to make it as accurate as possible and I'm sure I could try to find the franchise owner and ask if they could get the original blueprints for that era or photos and I am sure Burger King keeps all that. But, for this project, I wanted to make sure the movie favorite location was handled with proper care. 

doc_garage_062919a.jpg

The Beautiful interior:
doc_garage_062919a_5.jpg

That shelf seems sturdy for now.

doc_garage_062919a_6.jpg

Einstein.. where is he? That is Marty's bed.

doc_garage_062919a_7.jpg

Rock and Roll baby!

doc_garage_062919a_8.jpg

That model of Hill Valley looks quite familiar.

doc_garage_062919a_9.jpg

The most difficult are to find reference photos. Doc Brown's bedroom from 1985. When his housee burnt down he began living in his garage. In the first 2 films we see the garage in 1955. This is part of his laboratory and we see plenty of photo and screen time with them playing with models and such from various camera angles. But 1985, we get one blurry out of focus background when Marty goes to the Jukebox while talking on the phone with Doc. BTW, The Juke box is at the bottom in brown with 2 brick arches. They don't make them in transparent colors...oh well. That bed was shown in a deleted scene and 1 production still of behind the scenes. 

doc_garage_062919a_10.jpg

The bathroom is partially visible in the film during the 1955 hill valley model scene when they discuss going back to the future. The door is open and the light is on. We see part of the sink and all the toilet. 1 production photo shows a tub out of focus on the left. 

doc_garage_062919a_11.jpg

A nice aerial shot showing how large this thing is. The trees and shrubs in the background are based on the actual garage. 

doc_garage_062919a_12.jpg

This took most my winter developing. I am quite proud of the garage and how much detail i was able to pull off inside and the subtle textures on the exterior as well. 

One last note: The model is based on a 1:35 scale like all my models. 

Edited by cehnot

Wow, good job! Living all the small details and i cannot wait to see some pics with actual figs in it to relive the scenes

I am slowly buying parts. This is over 2000 bricks for just the garage. 

Looks amazing! Great attention to detail! 

will you release instructions for the Doc Brown Van? Absolutely love the design 

“Damn, I’m late for school!” *Power of Love intensifies.*

This is a great MOC and a great representation of Doc’s garage!

On 4/11/2021 at 6:11 PM, bricklio said:

Looks amazing! Great attention to detail! 

will you release instructions for the Doc Brown Van? Absolutely love the design 

I do not have the time to do instructions. As with all my models, I gladly will give away the files. If somebody wanted to do instructions and sell them for me, I have no issue with that, but I would rather spent that time building new models. I have the van, delorean, and VW van models available for anybody willing to build them from the models. I generally try to group sections in the model to make it easier to build. I have built the delorean and have Studio renders as well as real photos in the bricksafe account. I also built the VW van and plan to take photos of it as well. 

IMG_8318_ret_web.jpg

Part of the reason I have not built the van is because the 6x16 stud tile is not available. I would love a tile without studs. I also noticed a few new parts in 2020 as well as 2021 that may help with the walls, such as the new bracket parts recently made. I do not know how strong the walls and roof are so I would like to get these parts in the next few months and build the model and modify it as needed. As for now, it looks great on the renders. The 2x6 tiles and 6x6 tiles could work, but I need to try these first. 

bttf_van_051520_5.jpg

bttf_van_051520_2.jpg

bttf_van_051520_4.jpg

For those who want to see the other models:
Bricksafe Back to the Future Collection

On 5/15/2020 at 2:07 AM, Borex said:

Wow, good job! Living all the small details and i cannot wait to see some pics with actual figs in it to relive the scenes

I have been focused on purchasing all the parts for my 14,000 piece ghostbuster firehouse, custom galleon Barracuda ship, and a few smaller models I designed in studio. The garage will likely be my next large purchase. 

Edited by cehnot

On 4/18/2021 at 8:19 PM, BrickHat said:

Really like your DeLorean model! Thanks for sharing!

check my Flikr account for final model. I used aluminum colored custom parts by chrome block city for the car. Van parts are ordered.

1 hour ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Fantastic! Looking forward to seeing the final result.

thanks. It will be a while. I am tackling several smaller builds first. Doc Brown van and blue vw van parts are ordered. The garage will be my next large project to order while I begin building my large 14,000 piece gb firehouse. 

My son is a Back to The Future fanatic. Would it be possible to get the stud.io files for your Back to the Future collection?

Thanks!

On 12/5/2023 at 9:05 PM, clb5150 said:

My son is a Back to The Future fanatic. Would it be possible to get the stud.io files for your Back to the Future collection?

Thanks!

Yes. PM an email to me and I'll get those to you.