Sign in to follow this  
cehnot

Back to the DeLorean: Part 2

I designed several versions since my thread "Back to the DeLorean" in 2016. I admit, I completely forgot to share the new files and images this past winter. So many incarnations have come from this iconic ride and I am sharing with you 2 versions: The Studio renders and my actual model created with custom colored parts made with a 3rd party chrome service. My original design in 2016 was based on a 7 stud wide car. I shrunk it down into a 6 stud wide car and feel that the parts introduced in 2019 gave me the opportunity to finally develop it. 
The great part about this set, the Part 1 and Part 2 rear can be swapped out pretty quickly to move from nuclear rod power to Mr Fusion. 

The car rolls just fine with the current hubcap layers. The wheels come off and easy slide down the cut hoses that fit into the bar clip/hover mode attachments. You never have to remove anything in the mudguard area, just add the hover attachments inside where I designed side wall spots it will go into. 

My new scale matches all my other vehicles and ships: approximately 1:35 scale. 
bttf_6wide_timemachine_112319_b.jpg
DMC-12: 1981 model. 
bttf_6wide_timemachine_112319flat.jpg

bttf_6wide_timemachine_112320_01_flat.jp

bttf_6wide_timemachine_112320_2_flat.jpg

bttf_6wide_timemachine_112119_6.jpg

BTTF: Part 1
bttf_6wide_timemachine_112119_5.jpg

bttf_6wide_timemachine_112119_10.jpg

bttf_6wide_timemachine_112119_8.jpg

BTTF: Part 2

bttf_6wide_timemachine_112319_b_2.jpg

bttf_6wide_timemachine_112319_b_5.jpg

BTTF: Part 3
bttf_6wide_timemachine_112319_b_3.jpg
bttf_6wide_timemachine_112319_b_4.jpg

The Interior:
bttf_6wide_timemachine_112319_b_6.jpg

bttf_6wide_timemachine_112319_b_7.jpg

Physical Custom Moc:
Consists of 3rd party non-lego parts:
Brickarm
Customized parts using LEGO parts:
1. Windscreen: Custom cut windscreen I have another model that can open the gull wings, partially built. I did build my alternative version with a functioning gull wing. I sacrifice several things to accomplish this. But, that is why i designed the windscreen parts the way i did. I cut LEGO parts to make this screen. Now the 2020 champions have a similar screen that is way too long, but if they produce one with grey or silver edges I will try it on this model. Otherwise, the train top in black works perfectly for a more slender design. I like the hard edges on my windscreen since the DeLorean doesn't have curves. 

2. Various hoses were cut to fit the model. Red hoses. Also cut down a teal bar and smoothed it off into 2 studs wide parts.

3. 4 2x2 hinge tops were smoothed down to just the flat plate part to make a neat texture for the bottom of the car. Its not totally necessary, helps hold lego cord with studs in place, but more a decoration element for my model.  

4. A hammer was shorted in my 2016/2017 model and I used it in this model. You can easily use the regular hammer as is. I just never replaced it. I lost the orange headlight seen in the render and i just placed a 1x1 black plate in there. minified fits fine with headlight in my model. 

5. White bar holder with clip. It was a perfect size for the Mr Fusion and I used it for my 2017 model. I added a sticker for it and looks fine to me. The renders above use a round brick. 

6. Custom stickers for Mr Fusion and DMC logo on the front of the car

IMG_8318_ret_web.jpg

IMG_8317_ret_web.jpg

IMG_8321_ret_web.jpg

IMG_8322_ret_web.jpg

IMG_8331_ret_web.jpg

IMG_8332_ret_web.jpg

IMG_8345_ret_web.jpg

IMG_8354_ret_web.jpg

IMG_8358_ret_web.jpg

IMG_8372_ret_web.jpg

I also introduced my Doc Brown Value Van in 2016 in the thread as well. This was a massive build, 10 studs wide and over 30 studs long. This vehicle does fit this car since the inside dimensions were 8 studs across. None of their 6stud wide panels come without the stud wide walls like older smaller panels did in the 90s. I gave up on th idea of a minified scale van would contain the car. I present to you the 8 stud wide Value van scaled down to match the car's scale. 

Doc Browns Value van is more difficult than it looks. The film used a P-50 chassis value van from the 1960s-70s, which looks way different than the replacement van P-30 and P-90 models. Finding reference was tougher than i wanted to deal with, but alas some company had an old P-50 value van converted into a food truck in Cleveland Ohio. I took a lot of photos of the engine, undercarriage and interior to get an idea what this thing looked like. The front shape was a more complex design to covert into LEGo so the SNOT techniques are a bit crazy when you take off the slopes in the engine hood. All the partial stud widths in the grill to the flipping plates and upside down parts was rattling my brain. 

bttf_van_120518_01.jpg
bttf_van_120518_02.jpg

bttf_van_120518_03.jpg

For those interested in seeing my minified scale Doc's Garage build, check it out in my other thread: Doc Brown's 1985 Garage. 

Edited by cehnot

The car doesn't fit inside the van shown above. Those wall panels are too thick to allow the car to slide into the vehicle. I did make an alternative version where the walls are made of tiles held in place with brackets. Ideally I wish they had a 6x16 tile without the studs. I did another version of vertical 1x6 tiles, but the last 8 studs do not connect to the bottom and would probably be too flimsy. Here are some photos of the model with a 6x16 modified tile. The only parts that doesn't fit inside the van are the rear view mirrors i did on the side of the car. They would need to be removed if you wanted a car that fits inside the van. You will notice I had to remove the plate rail details to make this work. Based on how I connected the tiles I know for a fact the 6x6 tiles would work as well, but they do not make any in white. 

bttf_van_051520_5.jpg

bttf_van_051520_4.jpg

bttf_van_051520_3.jpg

bttf_van_051520_2.jpg

The Libyans VW 1973 medium blue bus was developed originally in November 2019. I just modified it. This vehicle was based on another VW and then altered about 30%. 

bttf_vw1973_bus_051520_medium_blue_3.jpg

bttf_vw1973_bus_051520_medium_blue_2.jpg

I need 6 parts to complete the physical build. This was an expensive vehicle since medium blue is not as easy to obtain on several parts. 

Twin Pines Mall Fox Photo stand is probably one of the more difficult items to reference. These stands exist in the USA, but hardly any photos exist. They were purchased from Kodak in 1986 and quickly converted into their stands or demolished. I built this model without an interior hoping to return to it someday. The current stand cannot be built since it is made of yellow glass parts. I could do the entire thing in bricks, but this would be the ideal design. I may return to it with what is currently available I guess one could always use yellow paper and place it into the frames. 

bttf_van_051520_kiosk.jpg