astral brick

Officially not a toy anymore

On 5/14/2020 at 10:57 PM, Mylenium said:

it merely panders to a certain kind of fans indulging in their childhood memories.

*Shakes fist full of money* I will allow it! Now pander to me with some Classic Space, baby!

On 5/14/2020 at 10:57 PM, Mylenium said:

I mean the fan design was awesome, but they completely ruined it by forcing it into their corporate formula.

As much as I like having a recreation of the Barracuda, I do kind of agree with this. The final set completely lacks the ramshackle, weather-worn quality of the original.

On 5/15/2020 at 4:39 PM, Aanchir said:

Overall, the standard of realism ends up as high or higher than the original project, and it's puzzling that people are STILL acting like having any bright color is somehow a travesty. Even the Temple of Airjitzu and Ninjago City were both way more brightly colored than Barracuda Bay, and they got heaps of praise from AFOLs, even those who'd never previously had any interest in Ninjago as a theme. It turns out that dull, low-contrast color schemes aren't somehow objectively superior to brighter, high-contrast ones.

I think you're just straw-manning hard here to invalidate opinions you don't agree with. Nobody is arguing all sets must be in dull colors. Just that this set's original design had a more muted, weather-worn color scheme, and final set didn't. Totally valid complaint.

On 5/15/2020 at 4:39 PM, Aanchir said:

They made these changes with the enthusiastic approval of the project creator, who vocally prefers the final design over his own original concept model. Turns out, not every artist or designer who disagrees with your creative tastes is secretly just sacrificing or denying their own creative integrity in the name of profit.

You do realize that the original designer has to sign an agreement saying he can't disparage the final design, right?

3 hours ago, danth said:

Shakes fist full of money* I will allow it! Now pander to me with some Classic Space, baby!

No! Pander to me with a grocery store set for City this summer. 

shakes fists of money 

Edited by Brandon Pea

33 minutes ago, danth said:

You do realize that the original designer has to sign an agreement saying he can't disparage the final design, right?

Not disparaging the final design is certainly the polite thing to do, but I haven't heard about it being an NDA-like signed requirement before ... citation, please?

3 hours ago, danth said:

I think you're just straw-manning hard here to invalidate opinions you don't agree with. Nobody is arguing all sets must be in dull colors. Just that this set's original design had a more muted, weather-worn color scheme, and final set didn't. Totally valid complaint.

Yeah, sorry, that paragraph was kind of unfair, and you're right to call me out on it. :sad: It's definitely OK for people to dislike color choices like this, and I shouldn't have generalized its detractors that way. I guess I was just riled up about the complaints that were outright untrue like the claim about "no advanced techniques". But that's not an excuse or justification for lumping those together with subjective opinions about the colors, and I didn't mean to make people feel invalid because of their personal opinions. I'm not very active here anymore but I'll try and do better in future posts.

2 hours ago, icm said:

Not disparaging the final design is certainly the polite thing to do, but I haven't heard about it being an NDA-like signed requirement before ... citation, please?

I've never heard of such a clause. But even if there is one, there's a big difference between "not disparaging the final set" and "exuberantly praising it as a huge improvement on your own version, and telling people that the designers sought out your approval before making changes". And a lot of @paokus's comments have been in the latter category.

I'm not at all comfortable assuming so many of our community's best builders would just lie like that about their own creations in exchange for 1% in royalties on the finished set. Maybe I'm an idealist, but I'd like to believe most of us would have more integrity than that.

And LEGO couldn't force ANYBODY, particularly a non-employee, to sign a contract that requires to lie about their true feelings indefinitely. Even designers actually employed by LEGO, like Mark Stafford and Jamie Berard, are allowed to speak with fans about regrets or misgivings about sets and themes they worked on, such as intended features that ended up getting cut or altered in the final designs.

So how are they supposed to keep a more conscientious builder from telling everybody about how close their project was to getting approved, and about the terms that their conscience couldn't abide by? It seems like it would be far too fragile a charade to maintain for this long… :sceptic:

Edited by Aanchir

6 hours ago, Aanchir said:

But even if there is one, there's a big difference between "not disparaging the final set" and "exuberantly praising it as a huge improvement on your own version, and telling people that the designers sought out your approval before making changes". And a lot of @paokus's comments have been in the latter category.

That's a fair point.