Celloguy

Neo Classic Space Delta-3 base

Delta-3 baseDelta-3 base (Underside)Delta-3 base (back)Delta-3 base (back 3/4)

Prefabricated, fully sealed outposts were one way that allowed the Federation rapid expansion onto new worlds. These surface bases provided hubs for exploratory vehicles, and often contained larger scientific instruments for analysis that would be impractical to carry on mobile laboratories. Once a planet's atmosphere had been properly measured and tested, less stringently sealed construction could occur on the surface, and these outposts could then be recycled for further use on new frontiers.

A neo classic space base I made a while back. I started this build with the idea of building something entirely studs up using large panel pieces so beloved of later classic space sets. I got quite far, but I couldn't resist when closing up the back using more modern techniques, in order to maintain certain symmetries. Still, I'm happy with how clean this build came out. I like the windows using horse hitchings! It has a full interior, which I haven't yet photographed. Hard to imagine that it's been 40 years of classic space!

Edited by Celloguy
grammar

Nice!  I'm glad you're here!  I'm a fan of your flickr feed.

This is great! Brings back some fond memories (of the classic space genre, not being in a fully sealed prefabricated outpost!) 

On 5/13/2020 at 6:28 PM, pombe said:

Nice!  I'm glad you're here!  I'm a fan of your flickr feed.

Cheers! Thanks, man.

On 5/14/2020 at 12:24 PM, JAMJAM said:

This is great! Brings back some fond memories (of the classic space genre, not being in a fully sealed prefabricated outpost!) 

haha! Cheers!

Wow. It musn't have been easy to make this a stable structure. Especially with an interior to boot.
Can't figure out what element you used to connect the 'square' part of the base to the arms.

On 5/20/2020 at 8:48 AM, GeoBrick said:

Wow. It musn't have been easy to make this a stable structure. Especially with an interior to boot.
Can't figure out what element you used to connect the 'square' part of the base to the arms.

A nightmare to build at times you are right, but the final model is very stable. If I understand you correctly Re: the arms - it's connected at the top with tiles and plates, and at the bottom with a double layer of plates.

On 5/20/2020 at 8:02 PM, RyszardBosiak said:

Wow! What a great idea! Very nice build :)

Thank you :)

On 5/23/2020 at 3:50 AM, HarrisBricks said:

This is so well detailed, I love it!

Thanks, man :)

23 hours ago, Celloguy said:

A nightmare to build at times you are right, but the final model is very stable. If I understand you correctly Re: the arms - it's connected at the top with tiles and plates, and at the bottom with a double layer of plates.

Thanks for responding.

I meant the element on the sides with and inward angle of 90° to the square part of the base.

21 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

Thanks for responding.

I meant the element on the sides with and inward angle of 90° to the square part of the base.

Might be best if you download the photo and draw a circle round the bit you mean just to be sure!

On 5/25/2020 at 6:26 AM, Umbra-Manis said:

Love all the texture! And the underside even included with lots of greebles!

Cheers! Yes I love greebling the undersides of models. Always gives me great satisfaction to be thorough, and I always do it last so the difficult structural problems have been solved!