Sign in to follow this  
Celloguy

Blacktron Allied Avenger Redux

BT-687 Allied Avenger

BT-687 Allied Avenger

Hello all! I somehow have only been here once before, but I want to start posting my builds here because it seems to be an active community.

My latest build is above - an update of one of my favourite early sets! People always ask me if my builds are renders, but they never are. I always build with real bricks and then photoshop (or in fact GIMP) is used to add backgrounds.

I will post some of my older builds too! One thing is that I would like to change my name to The Brick Artisan as that is my moniker now on Flickr, rather than celloguy which is what I registered as 3 years ago. I have tried contacting an administrator to change my name, but I'm not allowed to send messages for some reason.

My Flickr is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/guidomartinbrandis/

Wow, that is a slick looking Blacktron craft. Great build and excellent presentation.

Thanks for sharing it here :sweet:

Lovely! I remember finding an Allied Avenger on a back shelf somewhere over ten years after Blacktron has faded from lego catalogues, and being overjoyed about finding a treasure like that, it still is part of my elite core of space fighters :P (next to Darth Vaders Tie and Obi wans Eta-2)

This revamp really does it justice imho, and makes me wonder even more, what if Lego revived some of the classic space themes? Id love some new blacktron II stuff

It's great. I do think, however, that a lot of the natural slenderness of the original has been lost, which is a shame.

This looks like a bulkier, more resilient re-imagining where the ship's role has dramatically changed; this is a heavy fighter, and the old ship was a light scout and interceptor. 

Also, the old version had a fair amount of white. This doesn't. 

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

On 5/14/2020 at 10:33 PM, Peppermint_M said:

Wow, that is a slick looking Blacktron craft. Great build and excellent presentation.

Thanks for sharing it here :sweet:

Thanks very much! Glad you appreciate it!

On 5/15/2020 at 2:08 PM, vectormatic said:

Lovely! I remember finding an Allied Avenger on a back shelf somewhere over ten years after Blacktron has faded from lego catalogues, and being overjoyed about finding a treasure like that, it still is part of my elite core of space fighters :P (next to Darth Vaders Tie and Obi wans Eta-2)

This revamp really does it justice imho, and makes me wonder even more, what if Lego revived some of the classic space themes? Id love some new blacktron II stuff

Wow, that must have been simply magical. There's something about that era of sets which made it a true golden age - the packaging, the parts, the themes. Glad you enjoyed my version.

On 5/15/2020 at 6:03 PM, SteamSewnEmpire said:

It's great. I do think, however, that a lot of the natural slenderness of the original has been lost, which is a shame.

This looks like a bulkier, more resilient re-imagining where the ship's role has dramatically changed; this is a heavy fighter, and the old ship was a light scout and interceptor. 

Also, the old version had a fair amount of white. This doesn't. 

I know what you mean. It was all dictated by the size of the new cockpit which is much wider than the original. I tried more white, but I just couldn't make it work!

On 5/16/2020 at 2:24 AM, Jerry McGlade said:

So cool!

Cheers!

23 hours ago, nota82 said:

The best Allied Avenger ever! It shouts for an actual LEGO set.

Aww thanks!