Paperinik77pk

[MOC] Full Lego Technic locomotive - in 1:22,5 scale

Hi all,

these days I'm working a lot with Lego Technic, since I've bought some parts to experiment a bit this new world.

I'm used to build old Lego Technic from the 80's and 90's...but these new sets are very very complex, and require a lot of time to figure out where and how to put a certain part.

So , back to the Stud.io I started designing again...and came out with this thing:

Lego Technic Locomotive in 1:22,5 Scale

It's similar to old steam trams, to the GE 2/2 and HGE 2/2 locomotives, to some service railway cars...to the alternate 7720 model. Oh, well...it's a box and it's similar to all those boxy things! :laugh:

Dimensions are 13/14 stu...holes, units? :wink: for width and 25 for body lenght. Both buffers add an additional 6 studs to overall lenght. I'd say it is a small 1:22,5 locomotive, like my old  yellow shunter with PuP.

Since I'm still not so much able to recreate details such as doors and ladders...I simply avoided them.  :blush:

Pantograph is designed to use a rubber band for the moment - it could be nice to make it foldable with some gears!

At least the body is self-consistent and can easily be removed. The battery is fixed on the central upper part of the body, right in the middle to increase weight on all 4 traction wheels.

Rods are somewhat triangular and quite strange, but they're strong!  Other kinds of rod arrangements can be done. Using a normal gear transmission could also avoid rods at all.

The boxy body gives me the internal space to experiment for transmissions and motors. This chassis probably will change a zillion of times like the one of my XXL locomotives.

In the picture above, you can see the possibility to have the double gauge solution (left axle is L-Gauge and right axle is configured for 45mm G-Gauge track).  The gear you can see in the middle of left axle shows the possibility to implement a cog railway system using Lego flexible track. I sincerely do not know if the 45mm cog tracks could work with a Lego gear - so let's limit the cog solution to original Lego track :classic:

Steam Technic Tramway locomotive

It can become also a fancy Tram locomotive, like the "Gamba De Legn" ("Wooden Leg") used in Milan for many, many years. But for this one - I'm still struggling to create a proper, working engine.:damn:

I've seen few full Technic locomotives, but it's really fun to build them!

I hope you like it!!!

Ciao,

Davide

You did it - you actually made Technic interesting! :laugh: That's a really nice locomotive and I like how it's driven by the rods. The second variant in the grey and black livery is beautiful.

Great work. I like the adaptability from L gauge to Garden with the additional function of a cog option.

On 5/13/2020 at 12:20 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

I am intrigued by this ... Well done indeed

Thank you!!! :wink:

On 5/13/2020 at 12:56 AM, Pdaitabird said:

You did it - you actually made Technic interesting! :laugh: That's a really nice locomotive and I like how it's driven by the rods. The second variant in the grey and black livery is beautiful.

Thanks!!! I feel that Technic will become more and more part of the train world in the future - we already have axles, gears...different solution for motorizing our MOCs or simply parts of them (like opening doors / tilting mechanisms and so on) :laugh:  - invasion is imminent! :iamded_lol:

On 5/13/2020 at 10:47 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Superb! Great MOC, beautiful design and red livery! :wub:

Thanks Emanuele!!! It is a bit "Swiss" due to that dark gray and that strong red! It remembers me the Bernina Bahn and Furka Oberalp  colour scheme :wub:

3 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Great work. I like the adaptability from L gauge to Garden with the additional function of a cog option.

Thanks! It is one thing I am experimenting since the introduction of the flex track - it works fine with  BBB medium wheels . I think it'll work also with XL ones. I do not have that specific central gear, but I ordered it to make some tests. I could think also to reduce the wheels diameter for the cog version. :sweet:

4 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

It is a bit "Swiss" due to that dark gray and that strong red! It remembers me the Bernina Bahn and Furka Oberalp  colour scheme :wub:

Correct, the "Swiss" feeling is strong and I LOVE IT! :thumbup:

It is so elegant, so beautiful!

I tried to build the exterior by technic parts but it always looks weird because the building style of technic is abstract.

This model is not an ordinary technic abstract style, more like stud style. By showing wide panels and sides of liftarms, there is a similar effect of stud building.  

This is the only place not copied with the style of flank. Thin liftarms covered by tiles may be better:classic:.

image.png.01a0a24ec114fd5b802050fe52c754d3.png

On 5/19/2020 at 7:09 AM, Nashnet said:

It is so elegant, so beautiful!

I tried to build the exterior by technic parts but it always looks weird because the building style of technic is abstract.

This model is not an ordinary technic abstract style, more like stud style. By showing wide panels and sides of liftarms, there is a similar effect of stud building.  

This is the only place not copied with the style of flank. Thin liftarms covered by tiles may be better:classic:.

image.png.01a0a24ec114fd5b802050fe52c754d3.png

Thank you! I've to say that your big locomotive was a true inspiration for this one!  The panels are literally copied from a lot of Technic cars I saw around on YT and internet. Plus, the boxy shape makes everything easier :classic:

The full-Technic locomotive is something I've in mind from a lot of time, but I really am a newbie with new Technic style. :wink:

I agree with you - Liftarms are still assembled in stud mode, since it was easier to cover long parts of the locomotive, and give a bit of rigidity to the chassis and body. There's a reeeeeal wide margin for improvement, even with contamination between different Lego worlds.

Ciao!

Davide