Sign in to follow this  
Keymonus

The Scamandre, Sixth Rate Ship of the Line

New Haven Sea, May 620

The Warship Scamandre, a Sixth Rate Ship of the Line, has just arrived in the New Haven Sea region. Built in the Royal Shipyards of Breshaun, this ship was sent to secure the interests of Oleon in this remote area of the world. A few months ago, this ship reached El Oleonda itself, one of the hottest areas of the New World: in a semi-clandestine operation, avoiding all the main routes, a small contingent of soldiers founded a little outpost on the island, Fort Arltrees. 

IMG_3739 edited

This ship takes her name from a minor fluvial deity, represented by the figurehead: an intimidating warrior god, flanked by two even more intimidating 12-pounders.

IMG_3737 edited

This ship carries a total of 26 "good arguments" to enforce Oleander diplomacy: even if the Scamandre is not a large battleship, her firepower is more than enough for the small naval battles typical of the New World.

IMG_3762 edited

As usual for ships stationed in the colonies, however, patrolling the naval routes and hunting enemy vessels represent only two of the many tasks: exploring, safely transporting soldiers and colonists, delivering supplies and even providing additional space in trade convoys are by far the most common activities!

Today, for example, the Scamadre is mapping the coasts of El Oleonda. Two sailors calculate longitude, comparing the height of the sun over the horizon with the time in Granoleon: curiously, according to that clock, it should still be late night! 

IMG_3743 edited

Other sailors are evaluating the depth of the water using a rope and a lead weight, a simple but effective way to know if a bay is a suitable port for large ships.

IMG_3741 edited

The Scamandre also carries a scientific officer, members of the Oleander Royal Society of Science (far less famed than its Corrish counterpart) and a chaplain, usually a priest of Poseidon… who probably are thinking completely different things about the wonders of the nature!

IMG_3746 edited

A flag code allows communication with distant ships or, in this case, with Fort Arltrees Lighthouse: orders, warnings, news or simple greeting can be exchanged easily using a few dozens of coloured flags.

IMG_3740 edited

Since exploration missions may last several months, a ship like the Scamandre always carries large amount of supplies: fresh meat and vegetables for the first week, then more durable stuff, like hardtack, salted beef, pork or cod, cheese, potatoes and onions. A few recent innovations, such as barrels of apples, sauerkrauts and bottles of lemon juice, further improved mariners' diet and prevent, in most cases, the insurgence of scurvy.

IMG_3756 edited

There is a little of disappointment, however, about the canned food of a well known Corrish trade company: the horse stew contained is almost inedible, with pieces of bone, cartilage and, concerningly, small drops of lead. However, it may represent a fundamental emergency ration, resistant to water infiltrations and even to the most stubborn worms!

IMG_3750 edited

With the tropical weather and serious troubles in food preservation, the ship doctor has always several things to do. Well, it seems that those inviting red berries growing in the jungle are actually a little poisonous, too bad!

IMG_3759 edited

On the lower gun-deck, a soldier is cleaning his musket. He's quite far from home, but it's not unusual seeing soldiers from Guelph Peninsula in Oleander Army. Despite their weird clothes, they are usually very good soldiers, brave and disciplined.

IMG_3755 edited

Additional pics of the ship:

A trap door, connecting upper deck and gundeck

IMG_3754 edited

An additional view of the gundeck

IMG_3760 edited

A bird's eye view

IMG_3761 edited

The helm wheel and some of the sailors

IMG_3744 edited

The bow...

IMG_3748 edited

...and the stern.

IMG_3747 edited

A complete view. Very bad angle, by the way… it seems a lot shorter!

IMG_3738 edited

You have just visited the Scamandre, a Sixth Rate Ship of the Line (that is, a small frigate, considered strong enough to fight in a battle line even if as a minor unit). I will license it as a class 6. As usual, C&C are welcome!

Edited by Keymonus
Text missing

amazing ship!

What I like:

> the custom made hull

> the smaller canons to fit many in the ship

> the elaborated crew

> the realistic activities the crew undertake

> the colours of the ship

> the trouble you put in the sails and rigging

What could've been better:

> The stern, I don't really feel it: too blocky for my taste.

4 hours ago, Fraunces said:

amazing ship!

What I like:

> the custom made hull

> the smaller canons to fit many in the ship

> the elaborated crew

> the realistic activities the crew undertake

> the colours of the ship

> the trouble you put in the sails and rigging

What could've been better:

> The stern, I don't really feel it: too blocky for my taste.

3 hours ago, Sir Kingston said:

I agree with Fraunces, the ship is very nice, it has a finished, streamlined appearance.

Thank you guys! Basically it is a larger and improved version of my first ship, Le Phénix. I’m particularly proud of the bow and the riggings, but the stern was a real pain! Still I don’t know how to incorporate the hull, the windows and the upper parapet, I’ve to try something different!

20 hours ago, Paradosis said:

Nice!

It's been shown on the Classic Pirates facebook page as well

Wow! Thank you and, BTW, very nice page!

20 hours ago, Beleg the Ranger said:

A compact and imposing Man O' War! Oleon will be proud! (Eslandola will be jealous:pir-sceptic:) And Kingdom of the Lotus beware!

Thank you! Going to open big holes in the hull of our enemies... :grin:

Finally posted! The brick built bow looks really good, slope bricks worked well here,nice interior too, the introducing text is very well written too, and good work with the sails and rigging, and those flags.:pir-huzzah2:

On 5/13/2020 at 2:04 AM, Bodi said:

Finally posted! The brick built bow looks really good, slope bricks worked well here,nice interior too, the introducing text is very well written too, and good work with the sails and rigging, and those flags.:pir-huzzah2:

Thanks! :classic: