Sign in to follow this  
Elusys Ra Arwal

[MOD] Skull Island 6279

Hello all,

Yesterday, I've been playing around with Skull Island in order to transform it into something similar in concept, but different in execution. When I was little I loved it, but today I think that the big skull on the front isn't so much of a feature, so I thought to change that. I also forced myself to use exclusively only the pieces available in the set and, despite the red bricks being kind of difficult to place somewhere, I think the end result is decent enough. 

Probably I will rework it a bit further, because the access to the cave is only possible from the front and you can't really lift the top, unless you disassemble it, so I need to find a way to make it functioning while using only the parts in the set...

49880558986_f5c3d37bf7_b.jpgSkull Island_mod 01 by Guglielmo di Napoli, on Flickr

49880869487_16ee99b113_b.jpgSkull Island_mod 02 by Guglielmo di Napoli, on Flickr

49880869527_dc32982ecc_b.jpgSkull Island_mod 03 by Guglielmo di Napoli, on Flickr

49880942792_aa37903f4d_b.jpgSkull Island_mod 04 by Guglielmo di Napoli, on Flickr

49880150008_06d2cc6b48_b.jpgSkull Island_mod 05 by Guglielmo di Napoli, on Flickr

Nice, but I never liked the pier of this set. Good execution of your idea though

5 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Nice, but I never liked the pier of this set. Good execution of your idea though

I never liked the use of those yellow bricks because they don't make sense... Those are not sand banks, like one can assume for the palm area, and are not wooden beams, like the ones they have used for the elevated area, so I don't understand why would they do that... just put more brown round 2x2 bricks and make it more logical, if not "realistic", right?

Other than that I always liked that you could have a small boat pass through the cave and have the treasure hidden there.

@Mister Phes thank you very much!

17 hours ago, Elusys Ra Arwal said:

I never liked the use of those yellow bricks because they don't make sense... Those are not sand banks, like one can assume for the palm area, and are not wooden beams, like the ones they have used for the elevated area, so I don't understand why would they do that... just put more brown round 2x2 bricks and make it more logical, if not "realistic", right?

You are completely right! I had the exact same though about that. LEGO makes weird choices sometimes..

2 hours ago, Fraunces said:

You are completely right! I had the exact same though about that. LEGO makes weird choices sometimes..

From a visual perspective that yellow brick does give more color-appeal to the whole set, but from a logical standpoint, it doesn't make sense. Maybe using larger yellow bricks and creating a real large sand area would have increased the cost of the set or maybe they were supposed to use yellow bricks because they needed to get rid of them somehow?

Even the table with the red top and the yellow "legs" is kind of weird, though visually is tied in by the other red and yellow accents, but yes... sometimes they just make weird choices as you said.