Kai NRG

[MOC] Abandoned Gas Station

I pass several abandoned gas stations on my normal route to the grocery store.  Granted, the don't have quite as much lying around. :laugh:  But that's the fun part!

49871881271_fd77223437.jpg

First time I've tried drawing a background for a MOC.  Fairly happy with how it turned out!

Abandoned%20Gas%20Station%20%287%29.jpg

The graffiti on the side here was probably the hardest part.  Tough to decide on how best to build letters into the wall.  In the end, I wanted a curved style with few sharp edges, so I decided to use tiles and let it stick out from the wall.

Abandoned%20Gas%20Station%20%285%29.jpg

First time I use the pink heart tile. :tongue:

Abandoned%20Gas%20Station%20%282%29.jpg

More pictures on my blog, including a WIP shot. Comments and critique welcome!

Love it!  It's got a post-apocalyptic or perhaps just urban blight feel to it.  I like the level of detail with all the junk you threw in there, like the tires and the trash, and the off-kilter ice cream sign.  The grasses between the concrete and the boarded up windows are a nice touch, too.  Of course, if this is a really rough area of town and you want to go for realism, some syringes and bottles may be in order, too, plus maybe one of those new shopping cart pieces with a wheel removed!  I really like this and I think it will help inspire me to do some rundown buildings myself!

On 5/10/2020 at 2:15 PM, Grover said:

Love it!  It's got a post-apocalyptic or perhaps just urban blight feel to it.  I like the level of detail with all the junk you threw in there, like the tires and the trash, and the off-kilter ice cream sign.  The grasses between the concrete and the boarded up windows are a nice touch, too.  Of course, if this is a really rough area of town and you want to go for realism, some syringes and bottles may be in order, too, plus maybe one of those new shopping cart pieces with a wheel removed!  I really like this and I think it will help inspire me to do some rundown buildings myself!

Thanks Grover!  I didn't think about syringes, but I thought about bottles and decided that'd be too dark for what I was going for.  This was a really fun genera to build in though, great opportunity to use a wide variety of accessories! 

It'd be great if this inspires you! :wink:

Really nice one (I especially love the color scheme :wink: )

The floor is well thought with different technic used.

PS : the abandonned Buzz lightyear wing ! :thumbup:

Great moc, much diffrent too :classic: and a lot of details

I think the use of bottles and stuff might be a good idea indeed. Mostly there are people hang out on such places. the only thing I was thinking of. the building itself looks a bit too 'new'. Maybe it's an idea to use a few other colored parts and / or add some bricks of the building on the groud?
Depends of course of how much abandoned you wanted too be. Looking too the vegatations it's already out of use for a while, nice detail. 

On 5/19/2020 at 1:50 AM, Professor Thaum said:

Really nice one (I especially love the color scheme :wink: )

The floor is well thought with different technic used.

PS : the abandonned Buzz lightyear wing ! :thumbup:

Thanks Professor!  

On 5/19/2020 at 3:37 AM, neonic said:

Great moc, much diffrent too :classic: and a lot of details

I think the use of bottles and stuff might be a good idea indeed. Mostly there are people hang out on such places. the only thing I was thinking of. the building itself looks a bit too 'new'. Maybe it's an idea to use a few other colored parts and / or add some bricks of the building on the groud?
Depends of course of how much abandoned you wanted too be. Looking too the vegatations it's already out of use for a while, nice detail. 

Thanks!  Yes, next time I do something abandoned I will consider that!  It's kind of hard to add different colors to white to make it look run down without the colors looking too glaring, but with a different color building it might be easier.

On 5/20/2020 at 1:28 PM, Brandon Pea said:

Great Job! Nice work using the broken Buzz Lightyear wing as a prop there. 

Thanks!  That was a fun piece to use!

On 5/20/2020 at 2:41 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wonderful ...I like the choice of the octan brand for the disused station :devil::laugh:

Great MOC

Thank you!  I was an Octan member back in the Andromeda's Gate day... :grin:  It was fun designing a new way to build the symbol for it.

On 5/23/2020 at 7:54 PM, Kai NRG said:

It's kind of hard to add different colors to white to make it look run down without the colors looking too glaring, but with a different color building it might be easier.

For me it's no problem. I've white Lego pieces wich are a little bit colored by the sun in the past 15a 20 years :laugh: Even the 'white' piece wich I thought they're pretty white were nog so white comparing with the one I've ordered a while ago.

16 hours ago, neonic said:

For me it's no problem. I've white Lego pieces wich are a little bit colored by the sun in the past 15a 20 years :laugh: Even the 'white' piece wich I thought they're pretty white were nog so white comparing with the one I've ordered a while ago.

:laugh:  I do have some discolored whites, not quite enough to use them purposefully yet. :tongue:

30 minutes ago, Jerry McGlade said:

Really cool build! Great job!

Thank you!

Great work, I like how it feels very lively yet abandoned... all the colorfull details are nice especially the graffiti. The floor technic is well thought.

On 6/15/2020 at 8:32 PM, Jerry McGlade said:

I also really like the gas station symbol!

Oh yeah, that is definitely one of my favorite parts!

18 hours ago, Brixtof said:

Great work, I like how it feels very lively yet abandoned... all the colorfull details are nice especially the graffiti. The floor technic is well thought.

Thank you!  I spent several days on the floor, actually. :grin:

Edited by Kai NRG

8 hours ago, RosehipDeity said:

Awesome build! This looks like it was fun to build, especially when placing debris around the station :D

You've got that right! :laugh:  Thanks!