For most parts Lugbulk is in quantities of 50, and for some parts that's all you need (e.g., animals). The tricky part of Lugbulk is that each LUG is limited to something like 80 different elements per year. Each LUG chooses which elements they want and each LUG probably makes the decision differently. So typically you would push for the part that is either really rare, really expensive, or simply that you need in such massive quantity.

The key rules of Lugbulk are (1) the program is to support public displays, so the parts are not for resale (violating that rule can get you shut out of any future AFOL support), and (2) you cannot discuss the parts price outside of your LUG (or probably other participating LUGs).

Most parts are cheapest via lugbulk, but some are more expensive than other outlets or only have a small savings, so be sure to check bricklink and bricks and pieces when making your short list.

Anyway, bringing this back on topic, in your case I would imagine 2x4 bricks and the 1x2 tiles would be the parts you would want to lugbulk. The flower stems have shown up on PAB walls and you can pack a lot into a cup so I would imagine those would be cheapest keeping an eye on your local lego store's wall.

On 9/14/2021 at 2:00 AM, mark6399 said:

Hi all! I finally finished Section 4! Lots of challenges in this one. Many different slopes and angles, a bridge (which I've never attempted before), and even the rock faces were tricky. 

There are currently two more sections that I originally envisioned building out to the left. The railroad will go along the cliff face and into a tunnel.
I originally didn't plan on building more to the right, but as I've built more, I think I will build a couple more sections that direction and have the railroad go into another tunnel. That way if I build it irl, it would make a loop for trains to run on. I'm currently at 17k pieces. 😬

Wonderful development. Love where this is going!

Keep ut the good work!

In complete awe of this, I'm no brick master, not even a little, but some plastic and low expanding (window and door), spray foam may work as a sub base that's quick and easy, for tight areas back tape, and double cut. 

Not sure if that helps, but I have had good luck shaping things in the past with that method. 

Absolute artness, Mona Lisa move over.......

(maybe a Picasso forsure)

@lostdriveway Thank you! I actually haven't opened the file it in about 3 months. Been busy and it requires a surprising amount of brain-power to design and conceptualize. I'm working on the last two sections simultaneously. When I left off I had substantial work on the river portion of Section 5 and had started on the mountainside of Section 6. Not sure when I'll be getting back to it, but hopefully soon.

@2ndgen Thank you for the praise! I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip! Right now I'm planning on using a technic structure to elevate and support the layout. I have a couple pics of it on my Flickr. It'll need more supports IRL, but it conveys the idea for me right now. 

2 hours ago, mark6399 said:

@lostdriveway Thank you! I actually haven't opened the file it in about 3 months. Been busy and it requires a surprising amount of brain-power to design and conceptualize. I'm working on the last two sections simultaneously. When I left off I had substantial work on the river portion of Section 5 and had started on the mountainside of Section 6. Not sure when I'll be getting back to it, but hopefully soon.

@2ndgen Thank you for the praise! I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip! Right now I'm planning on using a technic structure to elevate and support the layout. I have a couple pics of it on my Flickr. It'll need more supports IRL, but it conveys the idea for me right now. 

Ya if you want a couple pictures of hoy I do let let me know. It's the tightest fitting and fasted way I know lol. Never tried Lego, but for making forms for concrete and stuff with fine details it works pretty well. Anyway looking forward to seeing some more of this. 

I'm going to be building a layout for our upcoming show in September and was thinking of doing something similar to yours. I'll build my base, elevations and mountains out of ply and cover from there, eliminating the need for too many extra bricks. 

Look forward to seeing more as you progress!

Big update! I've finished the 6 sections of the River Canyon that I originally imagined. I'm really proud of myself for seeing this build through. It was definitely a marathon, but I'm beyond pleased with how seamless each section goes together. There's so many things I'm proud of, but one of the biggest is how I've sculpted the hillsides with the sloped plates. I don't recall seeing much of that technique used, so I thought it was fun to bring more of this method to the community. Those angles were both challenging and fun to build. The technic structure below seems pretty robust (from the initial IRL builds I've moc'd up). Oh, creating the river current was pretty fun too!  

52307850187_f0130e5340.jpg123456 Combo_1 by Mark, on Flickr

52308576676_bd32f69c06.jpg123456 Combo_3 by Mark, on Flickr

52308576391_71ef1b3818.jpg123456 Combo_4 by Mark, on Flickr

52308576231_317b583a20.jpg123456 Combo_5 by Mark, on Flickr

52307849367_e6c1f75244.jpg123456 Combo_6 by Mark, on Flickr

52307849017_bee5c7b7af.jpg123456 Combo_7 by Mark, on Flickr

52309039978_d8002e7212.jpg123456 Combo_8 by Mark, on Flickr

52309039823_4ed2d0ca3f.jpg123456 Combo_9 by Mark, on Flickr

52308575081_ba34e2d32d.jpg123456 Combo_10 by Mark, on Flickr

It's really amazing what you build there! All those little details are incredibly.

Hope to see even more sections of this awesome diorama some time later :blush:

Thank you for the compliments, everyone! 

This build was actually inspired by the Pleasant Valley Bridge on the Yosemite Valley Railroad. Below are a couple links to images that show the scene. The exact picture that really inspired the build was from one of my books, Railroads of the Yosemite Valley. I couldn't find that one online, so I just linked these instead.

353491-L.jpg (1310×420) (bridgehunter.com)

353493-L.jpg (1208×1080) (bridgehunter.com)