Sign in to follow this  
Coal Fired Bricks

Boston and Albany 4-6-6t (WIP)

This is the project I've been working on.

Five locomotives of this class numbered 400-404 were built by Schenectady in 1928.  They were more powerful than most of the B&A's Pacifics.

49871640316_928e364a8c.jpgB&A D1a Wip by Coal Fired Bricks, on Flickr

49871646766_20eeb2243f.jpgCurrent Project(2) by Coal Fired Bricks, on Flickr

For more pics and for more detailed diagrams go to my Flickr Page.

For more pics on the Boston and Albany and other New England Roads go to Boston and Albany RR. 

Questions, Comments Concerns, and Complaints are welcome. 

-Coal Fired

Edited by Coal Fired Bricks

Looking good so far - I can't wait to see your progress! (I never knew there even was a 4-6-6T...it took 'Murica to show the world what a tank engine could be! :laugh:)

It is hard to see the details in the photo of the MOC, but from the silhouette it looks well proportioned.

She's gorgeous! There's so much beautiful detailing all over, yet it all still looks clean and sturdy. Good work so far, I can't wait to see her finished!

I have been considering doing one of these myself. Always liked the prototype. And the smaller wheels make it a cheaper project that many typical passenger locomotives.

4 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

She's gorgeous! There's so much beautiful detailing all over, yet it all still looks clean and sturdy. Good work so far, I can't wait to see her finished!

Thank you for that. It is a sturdy loco, that was a priority because for the last 3 years I have made 4 versions of that same loco. The first was build in six wide and the detailing was poor(there was nothing covering the back side of the battery box) but it was a good runner(mostly), the second version had better detailing and was 8-wide, but still not the best detail(not all aspects were captured correctly) and it was not a great runner.  The third version had nice detail but still not the best proportioned like the last 2 because I didn't make use for the mechanical drawings I had. And still the detail wasn't the best. But all three suffered the same fate, going around r40 the back half was two heavy and unsupported so it would fall off and be dragged along the track. And all 3 had a vertical drive motors which made it hard to support the rear end.  This is a sturdy loco I even can hang the back end unsupported off a table with no problems. 

4 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Beautiful work! :drool: Any plans to motorize her?

Thank you.  Believe it or not, the loco is motorized with a M motor. 

3 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

And the smaller wheels make it a cheaper project

Yes true $40 for 6 wheels isn't cheap.  But the LEGO wheels are a bit small, the true wheel size is between an L and XL so I rounded and went with an L. 

that many typical passenger locomotives.

Not sure what this means.

I have been considering doing one of these myself.

I would love to see one of the B&A's 2-6-6 locos as those are rarely modeled and the smaller wheels would be more to scale. Lastly, there are many differnt classes I have been thinking about modeling a D-3 or D-3a and some of the measurements are here https://sites.google.com/site/bostonalbanyrailroad/home/0-6-0/0-8-0/2-8-0/2-8-2/2-8-4/4-4-0/4-6-0/tank.

Bye Bye Everybody

Coal Fired Bricks(not my real name)

Looks great! I remember when Lionel came out with these earlier this year, but their price tag was, as always, a bit high for me. Great little engine!

Looking great! So where's the articulation on this? Do the wheels under the tank/coal bunker swing out? It would be interesting to see a picture of it in an R40 curve