Sign in to follow this  
NickLafreniere

[MOC] Via Rail Canada - The Corridor (my other Via train)

Here is my other Via Rail train, The Corridor. To see more pictures, please see Via Rail Canada - The Corridor.

resize:1600:900

I'd love to hear any feedback, comments, questions, or criticisms. It's a big set, so let's tackle it one car at a time. :) If you like it, please support on LEGO Ideas if you believe it would make a great official set.

I know that the scale is prototypical, but the height difference between the coaches and the engine is not doing it for me ... looks off. They are faithful renditions of the originals though (seen quite a few as I used to live in Toronto).

Never been to Canada, but I have to agree with Phil B.  The engine looks way to big next to the coaches.  Otherwise I think they look very nice.

The Canadian trains look unusual. Yes, the locomotive is significantly higher than the cars, but the difference is too big for you. I would lower the locomotive slightly so that the start of the coaches roof is higher than the blue area of the locomotive.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIA_Rail_Canada#/media/Datei:VIA_Rail_Train_London_Ontario.jpg

The proportion of the coaches looks ok for me, exept the wheels.

Thomas

Take another look at the proportions:

may20177.jpg

Look at how the lines perfectly match up when you mix & match both sets:

Edited by NickLafreniere

I would agree with the others that the cars look too short, even after seeing the photo of the prototype, maybe by two plates. A two plate difference is still well within reason for a train MOC given the resolution of Lego. But in this case most people don't think about the very real height difference and so although it is realistic it still looks strange when rendered in Lego. It really catches your eye, but it is all a matter of design style.

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

I would agree with the others that the cars look too short, even after seeing the photo of the prototype, maybe by two plates. A two plate difference is still well within reason for a train MOC given the resolution of Lego. But in this case most people don't think about the very real height difference and so although it is realistic it still looks strange when rendered in Lego. It really catches your eye, but it is all a matter of design style.

I agree though I believe the engine is a bit too tall. Looking at the photos the vents seem a bit high but what can you do, lego has no other options than to go SNOT with grill plates.  Also maybe using the train base may make the loco a bit high but you could run a sticker down the side of it and lower the body by a plate.  To me, the cars look pretty darn good. If you want to get really down to scale maybe you could find some blueprints/diagrams and try to scale them to 6 wide. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=via+passenger+car+diagram&safe=strict&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiNrae8mqzpAhXYoHIEHSguAHMQ_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1476&bih=1070#imgrc=yXGW3sQVKxixoM

ex. for a diner car. 

https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&rls=en&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=f40ph+diagram&client=safari&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi7jKmJm6zpAhXDhHIEHaXZCFEQsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=1476&bih=1070#imgrc=qxQH9TDXyhFXJM 

ex. for an f40ph (I think that is the train in this model)

-Coal Fired