It’s different. In some ways better, in some ways not. Depending on your requirements. I will try to deliver a comprehensive review so you can all decide for yourself.

10 hours ago, Jim said:

It’s different. In some ways better,

Really? what should be better?

20 minutes ago, Micka said:

Better than the spike?

Mindstorms 51515 is the same as Spike. At least the hardware is.

48 minutes ago, Lok24 said:

A lot of things. I will elaborate on that in my review(s).

53 minutes ago, Lok24 said:

For example:

• Reduced size;
  • Multifuncional ports (can be used for either motors or sensors);
  • More visible LED matrix;
  • Integrated accelerometer/gyro.

Of course, it is worse in other ways.

3f2.jpeg

8 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Of course, it is worse in other ways.

And in which ways do you think it's worse?

25 minutes ago, Jim said:

A lot of things. I will elaborate on that in my review(s).

Thanks, that should be very useful.

As you wrote: "Depending on your requirements. "

To me there are many things with Spike I don't like:

- no way to load a second battery outside the hub, so when charging you cant use your models when they moving around

- selection of programs only by numbers, not by names (chosing the wrong one could damage your model)

- end of life when no new batteries (replcement for old ones) are provided by LEGO

- no linear motors

I'll stay tuned..... :wink:

Edited by Lok24

11 minutes ago, Jim said:

Well, for example:

• Non-expandable storage;
  • Less powerful processor;
  • Uses non-standard battery instead of AAs;
  • Less ports in total;
  • LED matrix instead of a full display.
11 minutes ago, Lok24 said:

- no way to load a second battery outside the hub, so when charging you cant use your models when they moving around

I'm pretty confident that, if TLG doesn't make a standalone charger, third-parties will take care of that.

The only thing I really don't like on Spike Prime HUB is not the less powerful processor or something else BUT,

it's the small amount of Memory :( If I create a bit more bigger python program, I ran really fast out of memory and then I need to restart the hub. This is the most annoying thing for me. 1Mb instead of 320Kb would have been much more convenient for me

On 9/23/2020 at 11:57 AM, Vinz1911 said:

If I create a bit more bigger python program, I ran really fast out of memory and then I need to restart the hub. This is the most annoying thing for me. 1Mb instead of 320Kb would have been much more convenient for me

I wasn’t aware of this limit caused by the amount of available RAM.

This makes me wonder:

Is there a way to check how much memory is used during execution of a program?

The specs for the Spike Prime hub lists 32mb of storage, 1mb of flash and 320kb of ram. Can someone explain how the different types of memory is used?

Edited by Munchkin255

If the spike prime hub had/has (who knows?) USB OTG and a firmware update we could plug usb sticks right into the spike prime and load/save programs from there.

using lower level languages effectivley to program a spike prime lego model will probably reduce the size of a program too which means you can fit more in the 32mb of storage, 1mb of flash and 320kb of RAM,

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 4:29 AM, Jim said:

Perhaps looks?

Depending on your review, I will decide whether I should get the EV3 or this one.

16 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

using lower level languages effectivley to program a spike prime lego model will probably reduce the size of a program too which means you can fit more in the 32mb of storage, 1mb of flash and 320kb of RAM

OK, I did not want to point this out - being an old fart as I am. BUT: Ever programmed low level 1MB of flash? 320 kB of RAM??? You can securely autonomously fly to Mars, take samples there, and securely make it back to Earth with this size of memory - on the low level side of programming.

And speaking of which: The ads don't suggest that: They do promote moving this and that, blinking LEDs here and there - but that is what an RCX could do as well - provided it was equipped with Dick Swans enhanced firmware (later called the RobotC firmware) and we had the motors to react swiftly to the input sensors. 

What I see is basically line followers. @Coder Shah has shown a very nice line-up recently.

Yes, there is BLE, all the modern stuff to control things.

I like to know: What is the major step forward from 1998 to now. I believe, I am missing something. Being able to plug in a sensor into a random port, so that the device figures out it is not an actor is convenient. But not the world of micro-controllers: You tell them what you what the pin should be. On a rather low level. It cost you max. 6 bytes of machine code.

Best
Thorsten

On 9/22/2020 at 11:01 PM, Jim said:

It’s different. In some ways better, in some ways not. Depending on your requirements. I will try to deliver a comprehensive review so you can all decide for yourself.

Any update Jim? I'm getting really curious!!! :laugh:

9 minutes ago, GrandiJoos said:

Any update Jim? I'm getting really curious!!! :laugh:

October 10th is the embargo date for the review.

13 hours ago, SNIPE said:

If the spike prime hub had/has (who knows?) USB OTG and a firmware update we could plug usb sticks right into the spike prime and load/save programs from there.

using lower level languages effectivley to program a spike prime lego model will probably reduce the size of a program too which means you can fit more in the 32mb of storage, 1mb of flash and 320kb of RAM,

An open source firmware would help with that but there is none. Heck there isn't even an official file browser to copy libraries to the hub.

So I checked the spike prime specs and it says M4 so I googled that and tada! it uses an atmel m4 so I looked at some models of M4 and they do indèed have USB OTG which means with a firmware updare we could connect mice, keyboards, usb sticks, webcams, etc as long as yph use one of those micro/mini to regular usb adapters if needed.

Edited by SNIPE

According to other info, its using a STM32F413 and yes that part does have USB OTG built into it (although whether the LEGO hardware is built in a way that allows you to actually use the USB OTG I don't know)

Over here the new Spike prime/robot inventor stuff is being marketed as something between wedo and ev3 with ev3 still being the most advanced product in their range. See for e.g.: Lego Marketing Material

I have seen it says so on the lego homepage as well.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/help/products/electronics-robotics/spike-prime/how-spike-prime-is-different-from-wedo-20-and-mindstorms-ev3-408100000017136

"SPIKE Prime builds on the skills developed with WeDo 2.0 and gets builders ready for the future by using LEGO bricks, Technic pieces, and a slightly more complex coding system. SPIKE Prime also prepares them for a more challenging curriculum when they’re ready to advance to MINDSTORMS EV3. "

So I guess the question is not do I upgrade for FLL but do I downgrade for FLL?

11 hours ago, sulu86 said:

So I guess the question is not do I upgrade for FLL but do I downgrade for FLL?

I believe there is no question. Just do FLL with EV3.

Best
Thorsten

The sensor on the front is Photoshopped badly :tongue:

11 hours ago, Gimmick said:

Second Mindstorms Set 2020

What? A Porsche? For a Mindstorms set? A car? At least it has electric propulsion ... :pir-skel:

Oh well. Makes it easy not to buy that one, but to wait for the Mindstorms parts on BL.

Best
Thorsten

51 minutes ago, Toastie said:

What? A Porsche? For a Mindstorms set? A car? At least it has electric propulsion ... :pir-skel:

Oh well. Makes it easy not to buy that one, but to wait for the Mindstorms parts on BL.

Best
Thorsten

It’s a fake Photoshop.