I'm looking forward to this set, and I plan to build some GBC modules using the hub, motors, and sensors. Hopefully the software to program this brick is well done, I'm not too keen on how they did the boost/pup/control+ programming.  The lack of documentation, and in-house tutorials, was disappointing.

I imagine that the programming will be similar to that of SPIKE Prime, you can install the IDE and try it out yourself.

1 minute ago, AVCampos said:

I imagine that the programming will be similar to that of SPIKE Prime,

I agree.

With the Spike App you have

- kind of Scratch, no documentation, i didn't find all options yet (i.e. Stop Motor coast/brake/hold)

- python, with a complete documentation (english only)

There was told, that the new Mindstorms will be programmable by Scratch and Python.

At the EV3 there are documented the used Opcodes that can also be stored in programs on the Brick.

How is this handled at the new Mindstorm / Spike ?

Reuse of same Opcodes and also some Virtual-Machine running to interpret Opcodes of a Program ?

2 hours ago, Lok24 said:

I agree.

With the Spike App you have

- kind of Scratch, no documentation, i didn't find all options yet (i.e. Stop Motor coast/brake/hold)

- python, with a complete documentation (english only)

You can find the scratch documentation in the settings at "Help". The "simple" python commands are documented. It's very limited. There is a lower level python library that isn't documented but required to access unsupported sensors (boost color and distance sensor) and BLE.

12 hours ago, Tcm0 said:

You can find the scratch documentation in the settings at "Help".

unfortunately I do  not find:

spikehelp.jpg

12 hours ago, Tcm0 said:

The "simple" python commands are documented. It's very limited.

It's for the hardware in the set, for me this is acceptable.

13 minutes ago, Lok24 said:

Hi Lok24, I found this post/list rather useful:

https://racingbrick.com/powered-up-code-block-guide-full/

13 hours ago, Tcm0 said:

You can find the scratch documentation in the settings at "Help". The "simple" python commands are documented. It's very limited. There is a lower level python library that isn't documented but required to access unsupported sensors (boost color and distance sensor) and BLE.

Hi Tcm0, What documentation are you referring to? The pyBricks one? I would be interested in the lower level Python documentation.

11 hours ago, Lok24 said:

JVGjv9M.jpg

10 hours ago, GrandiJoos said:

Hi Tcm0, What documentation are you referring to? The pyBricks one? I would be interested in the lower level Python documentation.

Pybricks is pretty well documented from what I know. The SPIKE Prime Hub however lacks much documentation. There is much you can't do with the documented python stuff and don't even think about doing it with scratch. However it's possible with undocumented stuff

Other Powered Up Sensors: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SPIKEcommunity/permalink/1124008337977397/?__cft__[0]=AZXinCrJiQv1iDOyp-gnOIxMZR-tyyyTT35fS1vd0w35ycX5h3HBMJ95Hb9aG6htKnw9MNHnqV1TzCrn1PMbgN65F5DbVKie-X48fTtEa37-UzLJ2GO1DBR2O4Ro-goCDP4DGThIE1NtKlJLjNSVodMA&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R
Delete all programs: https://www.facebook.com/groups/191742648593746/permalink/204992223935455/
Conenct to other hubs via BLE: https://github.com/nutki/spike-tools/blob/master/hub/lwp.py
Load stuff from another file: https://www.facebook.com/groups/191742648593746/permalink/207030797064931/?hc_location=ufi
And much more

Hello,

There is written, that Spike contain a ARM Cortex M4 processor at 100MHz with 1M Flash & 320K RAM

Any idea what processor is really used here ?

Maybe a STM32L4P5RG in LQFP64 ?

But how is then done BLE/BTC ?
what Coprocessor ?
a successor of the CC2640 or nrF52840 ?

On 6/25/2020 at 8:04 PM, BrickTronic said:

Hello,

There is written, that Spike contain a ARM Cortex M4 processor at 100MHz with 1M Flash & 320K RAM

Any idea what processor is really used here ?

Maybe a STM32L4P5RG in LQFP64 ?

But how is then done BLE/BTC ?
what Coprocessor ?
a successor of the CC2640 or nrF52840 ?

Hello, 

According to Spike istelf :)

MicroPython v1.10-1527-g865e961de on 2020-01-23; LEGO Technic Large Hub with STM32F413xx

BR,

Teodor

17 hours ago, tvendov said:

Hello, 

According to Spike istelf :)

MicroPython v1.10-1527-g865e961de on 2020-01-23; LEGO Technic Large Hub with STM32F413xx

BR,

Teodor

I tried to find something in the Python Code at Github but failed
Sorry, but I've no deep knowledge in Software

There might be used the QFP64 pin version STM32F413RG

So BLE/BTC must me done by anouter chip (coprocessor)

Are there pictures of an opened Spike available to can check this ?

2 hours ago, BrickTronic said:

So BLE/BTC must me done by anouter chip (coprocessor)

Usually, LEGO use a CC2640 (sure in City and Technic Hub)

On 7/10/2020 at 5:16 PM, GianCann said:

Usually, LEGO use a CC2640 (sure in City and Technic Hub)

I've found a reverse-engineering Blog that found out that the Spike is using a UART to Bluetooth Bridge CC2564 from Texas.

More Details here : https://bricks.stackexchange.com/questions/15057/what-internal-electronics-do-spike-prime-and-mindstorms-v4-use

I'm really waiting for this set to be released. As they said early Q4 in my mind this means October 1, but I guess I would need to wait a bit longer. Do you guys have any idea when the set will be available to order in the Lego shop???

In Germany I saw several Shops has listed the set. I saw two release dates, one said the 01.10.2020 and one other said the 15.10.2020. I think it won't be long now, then we will se the set in the lego store for pre ordering :)

I will be doing a review of that set. Hope to receive it this week.

That's very positive news from both of you!!!

I'll be keeping a close eye on the lego.com website, and please post here when you review is online @Jim! :D 

BTW: I just saw this video which shows and discussed a 'leaked' official video of the 51515. Looks good!!! Especially the fact that the motors are not in teal is reassuring for me, seems to have more of a white/grey/black emphasis than I got from the first pictures. 

48 minutes ago, Ragana9289 said:

I wonder how many years it will be produced ?

Why? You can it use it longer.....

2 hours ago, Ragana9289 said:

I wonder how many years it will be produced ?

I guess 5 to 7 years as previously with the EV3. The thing is, unlike Technic models which sometimes are only produced for one or two years, the mindstorms set is the theme itself. And as they want this theme (in an education and home version usually) it'll always be produced until a new version comes out.

1 minute ago, JintaiZ said:

Apparently, the new one is better and offers better value of money as well :)

Earlier in this topic there was a lively discussion on whether the new mindstorms kit is actually better than the EV3 so it's not an absolute fact.

13 minutes ago, GrandiJoos said:

Earlier in this topic there was a lively discussion on whether the new mindstorms kit is actually better than the EV3 so it's not an absolute fact.

Though much more advanced