Random speculation:

- the programmable brick will be the same as the one used in the SPIKE Prime set
- will have an infrared sensor and remote instead of an ultrasonic sensor
- will be programmable using Scratch and Micropython

My guess:

Name: Lego Mindstorms EV5

Battery: 2110 mAh

Brick: another one then spike (why?: only 6 connections, another battery capacity)

Sensors: same as spike + others maybe

Motors: same as spike + others

Edited by Alitai

Is the brick in the Spike set as powerful (in terms of internal hardware) as the EV3 is?

22 minutes ago, jonwil said:

Is the brick in the Spike set as powerful (in terms of internal hardware) as the EV3 is?

It's not as far as I can tell. And there are fewer ports. But gyro and accelerometer are now built in.

On 5/11/2020 at 10:20 AM, Alitai said:

Spike has no WLAN. It would be a disaster.

I guess you mean WiFi? It could have of course, like the Arduino BLE Nano 33 IoT which uses a SoC that supports both BLE and WiFi, but I don't think so. Hope they build it on a Raspberry Pi like system with a powerful processor to also do easy object detection etc.

Well, the first pictures of 51515 "LEGO Mindstorms Robot Inventor" leaked this morning courtesy of a Chinese catalog, and, well, it's basically SPIKE Prime.

The Hub is the same (SPIKE Prime/Technic Large Hub) - 6 I/O ports, 5x5 LED display, Bluetooth and micro USB connectivity. Its teal green now instead of yellow.

The motors and sensors are the same too, but the motors are also now grey instead of green.

From what I can tell from the limited imagery, there is a new Lego Mindstorms app. Not entirely sure but the "coding" seems like its similar to SPIKE Prime's Scratch interface. Obviously the Hub supports MicroPython too.

I must admit, while I like SPIKE Prime, I'd hoped for a true successor to EV3.

Edited by Mr Hobbles

3 hours ago, Mr Hobbles said:

Wow. where can I see image? can send link to PM?

Edited by msk6003

5 hours ago, Mr Hobbles said:

I'd hoped for a true successor to EV3.

As I say in another place, I hope in a Intelligent Brick with colours LCD, WiFi and BLE support, 8 I/O port, SD slot...

Somehow it hurts my eyes, but it might be the colors and layout used for the Chinese market...

Only benefits I see so far are smaller hub en slightly smaller motors, as well as the battery pack.

Looking forward to more details...

16 hours ago, Coder Shah said:

Which this definitely is not. BrickPi may be more to your taste, though.

Yes, but it's not LEGO.

For me, if it's confirmed that the EV3 is replaced by the Spike Hub, is a step backward.
I love Spike Prime, but the EV3 is another type of product.

6 hours ago, GrandiJoos said:

Somehow it hurts my eyes, but it might be the colors and layout used for the Chinese market...

Only benefits I see so far are smaller hub en slightly smaller motors, as well as the battery pack.

Looking forward to more details...

it's the same programmable brick used in the SPIKE Prime set.

https://education.lego.com/en-us/products/lego-education-spike-prime-set/45678#product

1 hour ago, Coder Shah said:

it's the same programmable brick used in the SPIKE Prime set.

https://education.lego.com/en-us/products/lego-education-spike-prime-set/45678#product

Yes, but I think the point is it’s a much less capable hub than the EV3.

1. 5x5 LED matrix vs full monochrome display.

2. Much less powerful CPU and less RAM.

3. No SD card slot.

4. No USB port and as a result no WLAN capabilities.

5. Less ports

6. Fixed MicroPython based OS vs the fully capable EV3 OS and and Linux based alternatives (ie. ev3dev).

It’s quite a big step down from EV3. I hope this isn’t the future of Mindstorms.

I feel as mindstorms is becoming more the home version of the education sets, with the same target group.

It would be really nice if there would also be an AFOL mindstorms line with more advanced features.

One upside is the compatibility between all the new motors (I like the control+ motors from the Liebherr better than the spike prime 'sideways' motors. It also seems that the micropython pybricks interface will be consistent between the new mindstorms, control+ hub, powered up hub, and even the ev3 hub.

39 minutes ago, Alitai said:

why the color change then?

I think only for marketing reasons...

47 minutes ago, GianCann said:

I think only for marketing reasons...

What a bad reason :D They made the SPIKE hub yellow because the RCX was yellow but that was a mindstorms set. Now the new mindstorms isn't yellow but bluegreen.

2 hours ago, Tcm0 said:

As I said, bluegreen :P

The german translation for teal (and I'm from germany) is blaugrün, which translates directly to bluegreen

The color kind of makes me think of these sets.

Cybermaster - https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=8482-1&name=CyberMaster&category=[Technic][Competition]#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

Robotics Discovery set - https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=9735-1&name=Robotics Discovery Set&category=[Mindstorms][RCX]#T=S&O={"iconly":0}