jedisquidward

Seeking advice for building structure of MOC

Hello,

I have been building my first fully-fledged MOCs recently; most being buildings in microscale or possibly even Midi-Scale, like 7778-1 Midi-Scale Millennium Falcon. I have been having a bit of trouble recently with my latest creation; I use LDD to design and the way I use it, I really prioritize the outside look before creating the inside structure. Though this is great, the very large base of my MOC (which is similar in shape to a mountain) is a mess. I've seen official sets use a lot of technic bricks and technic pins/connectors to create a base, but in my current state, it's just all regular plates and bricks.

How can I rebuild the structure of the base after-the-fact? I'm worried about having everything look fine in LDD, but then when I purchase the parts, it turns out there were a bunch of bricks being held up by nothing. Building from upside-down is something I find difficult in this program.

Any help, advice, tips, or examples would be appreciated!

so for me technics is normally my go to if i build in digital, if i build in real life i actually use Duplo bricks as they fill in space quickly and are compatible with lego, another thing you could try is importing it into Stud.io there is a feature there that shows you if things are floating, not connected or would put stress on things  

55 minutes ago, jedisquidward said:

How can I rebuild the structure of the base after-the-fact? I'm worried about having everything look fine in LDD, but then when I purchase the parts, it turns out there were a bunch of bricks being held up by nothing. Building from upside-down is something I find difficult in this program.

Yes that is a bit of a problem. If you have patience you could use the hide-bricks and check-connections in the LDD program (hiding everything connected to show what might be floating/unconnected), but I think it would be easier with actual bricks in-hand and the ability to more easily see inside by carefully removing connected sections of pieces. The nature of LDD building makes this type of covered/hidden connections difficult along with the inability to really feel the strength of a build in your hands. However it can be done by careful scrutiny of the build/overlapping pieces/checking connected pieces. Its just a bit more tedious doing it digitally.

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

Yes that is a bit of a problem. If you have patience you could use the hide-bricks and check-connections in the LDD program (hiding everything connected to show what might be floating/unconnected), but I think it would be easier with actual bricks in-hand and the ability to more easily see inside by carefully removing connected sections of pieces. The nature of LDD building makes this type of covered/hidden connections difficult along with the inability to really feel the strength of a build in your hands. However it can be done by careful scrutiny of the build/overlapping pieces/checking connected pieces. Its just a bit more tedious doing it digitally.

Yes! I just had an idea come to me. It will be perfect.

1. Create base with basic bricks and plates in LDD while finishing the look of the model
  2. When finished, use hide tool to show only structural parts
  3. Copy this and paste it into a new file
  4. Cover this structure in one bright, uncommon color, use color selection tool to select all of that and isolate it
  5. Create a new base, drag bright color selection over it to make sure it "fits the mold".

Thank you for your help.