Hello!

Originally I wasn't going to enter this contest - but it was just too tempting - so I am going to give it a go.

I have decided to build a Lancia Fulvia Rally car - such as the one you can see below:

1970-lancia-fulvia-rally-car-ebay.jpg

I have already been working on this for a few days - so the majority of the chassis and some of the bodywork have already been completed.

The chassis consists of:

• Front wheel drive
  • A 2-speed gearbox located over the rear axle - which is also linked to a moving gear stick inside the cabin
  • A functional V4 engine
  • Rear 'leaf spring' suspension
  • Steering - which will hopefully be HOG

So far I have attempted to recreate the rear and front bodywork of the car - what do you think?

49866297692_d3fafd90a1_c.jpgFront by All.About.Lego, on Flickr

49865986416_43f091b839_c.jpgRear by All.About.Lego, on Flickr

49865986711_ccd32f85a7_c.jpgChassis by All.About.Lego, on Flickr

I have tried to use as many Technic elements as possible so far - as I understand that model team-style building is not permitted, but there was a limit to where these could be used - for example I had to make the bonnet out of tiles because of the limited space below! - I hope this is OK?! 

More updates will come soon!

(oh, and if your'e wondering, once its complete it wont be made out of 1000 different colours!:iamded_lol:)

Looks cool! I just had to LOL when I realized the sausages at the rear end. :laugh: FWD is an interesting alternative not seen here very often IIC.

5 minutes ago, johnnym said:

Looks cool! I just had to LOL when I realized the sausages at the rear end. :laugh: FWD is an interesting alternative not seen here very often IIC.

Thank you!! - Haha, yeah - the sausages just seemed like the perfect solution:laugh_hard:. And I'm not surprised it's not seen very often - It took quite a while to figure out how to squeeze both steering and drive between 15 studs!:oh3:

So, since the last post, I have had some time to work on the roof and doors of my Fulvia.

I usually work with a mixture of Technic and System parts - and although this build does feature both, I have attempted to include as many Technic parts as possible to ensure that I comply with this competitions rules! (Hopefully!:wink:)

Because of this, I'm not extremely happy with how these parts have turned out - so I think this project will definitely be one which I will improve after the contest has ended (probably by using a few more system parts) - for now I'm just going to start to gather the pieces in the correct colours, and If I have any extra time left over I may use this to improve my design.

But anyway - what do you think so far?:thumbup: :thumbdown:

49870878023_7ac17cfd0c_c.jpgDoors and Roof by All.About.Lego, on Flickr

49870878718_0ddab543b5_c.jpgDoors and Roof by All.About.Lego, on Flickr

49870879283_f1d365ca1a_c.jpgDoors and Roof by All.About.Lego, on Flickr

49871408641_c51107ffbf_c.jpgDoors and Roof by All.About.Lego, on Flickr

Shapes are recognizable and I really hope to see them in right colors very soon.

Since one my friend had Flavia, I'm interested in end result.

The reason asking for front axle is that I struggle with width on one my earlier project - Unimog U423...and now I want to redesign it with new tires from batmobile (sorry for off topic) ... I have one solution with new differential from 42109 set and using universal joints directly with axle 2 on each side...I'll post images in axle collection tread when I buy another differential and test new axles + chassis.

Kind regards

Just now, I_Igor said:

Shapes are recognizable and I really hope to see them in right colors very soon.

Since one my friend had Flavia, I'm interested in end result.

The reason asking for front axle is that I struggle with width on one my earlier project - Unimog U423...and now I want to redesign it with new tires from batmobile (sorry for off topic) ... I have one solution with new differential from 42109 set and using universal joints directly with axle 2 on each side...I'll post images in axle collection tread when I buy another differential and test new axles + chassis.

Kind regards

Thanks!

It sounds like my solution is quite similar to yours - I have just replied to your earlier post with some pictures - but the general idea is that the universal joints are connected directly to the differential as you said, and I used some thinner pieces at the end of each axle which fit inside of the small wheels - allowing the width of the car to be shorter:grin:

The width is  biggest enemy on my MOCs (and using to much parts - optimisation is my favorite but bitter work)

Just now, All_About_Lego said:

Thanks!

It sounds like my solution is quite similar to yours - I have just replied to your earlier post with some pictures - but the general idea is that the universal joints are connected directly to the differential as you said, and I used some thinner pieces at the end of each axle which fit inside of the small wheels - allowing the width of the car to be shorter:grin:

I was puzzled - are joints connected directly to the differential? How wonky is it?

Just now, jaxxreal said:

I was puzzled - are joints connected directly to the differential? How wonky is it?

Yup - the joints are connected directly to the differential.

Its not actually too bad - the differential is held in place between two gears to stop it from moving backwards and forwards, and there are pins either side of the universal joints to stop them from moving too - if this makes sense? The photos of it can probably do a better job at explaining than I can. :wink: :head_back:

Just now, jaxxreal said:

From my experience it is acceptable for light and small manual models.

Just now, I_Igor said:

The width is  biggest enemy on my MOCs (and using to much parts - optimisation is my favorite but bitter work)

I know the feeling! :tongue:

15 hours ago, All_About_Lego said:

Yup - the joints are connected directly to the differential.

Its not actually too bad - the differential is held in place between two gears to stop it from moving backwards and forwards, and there are pins either side of the universal joints to stop them from moving too - if this makes sense? The photos of it can probably do a better job at explaining than I can. :wink: :head_back:

No judgement here, just curiousity! Yeah, photos explain good enough, wanted to double check. Thanks!

Great build, though, looking forward to see its completed ✌️

7 hours ago, jaxxreal said:

No judgement here, just curiousity! Yeah, photos explain good enough, wanted to double check. Thanks!

Great build, though, looking forward to see its completed ✌️

Great! - glad they helped - and thank you very much!:wink:

7 hours ago, Surffikoira said:

I really like the profile so far! :thumbup:

Thank you! - glad you do!

IMO too many system parts to be consider as a mainly Technic MOC, but maybe be the only one who think it, awesome car anyway.

Edited by jorgeopesi

23 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

IMO too many system parts to be consider as a mainly Technic MOC, but maybe be the only one who think it, awesome car anyway.

Thank you! - I was wondering that myself to be honest, although when compared to some of the other cars in the competition mine actually uses a similar amount of system pieces - only the bonnet and boot are made completely out of system pieces:wink: and there are a few more here and there.

I guess there's only one way to find out:classic:

9 minutes ago, All_About_Lego said:

Thank you! - I was wondering that myself to be honest, although when compared to some of the other cars in the competition mine actually uses a similar amount of system pieces - only the bonnet and boot are made completely out of system pieces:wink: and there are a few more here and there.

I guess there's only one way to find out:classic:

I have seen others too the only thing I can do is not to vote for them, all of them are great but I thought this challenge was mainly Technic... but what is Technic nowadays...?, the Veyron not for example, for me.

Edited by jorgeopesi

13 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

I have seen others too the only thing I can do is not to vote for them, all of them are great but I thought this challenge was mainly Technic... but what is Technic nowadays...?, the Veyron not for example, for me.

You have a good point there! - I guess we all have our own ideas on what Technic should and should not be, which are both fine:blush:

Amazing progress! I think, everything is good with system parts. Mack anthem set is also have some system parts