Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

Which "bird species" could be introduced to the Pirate Theme

Select your species  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which "bird species" could be introduced to the Pirate Theme?

• Sea Gull
    • Toucan
    • Pelican
    • Flamingo
    • Chicken

banner-poll2.gif

Click Here to vote in more Polls!!!

Which "bird species" could be introduced to the Pirate Theme?

We all know and love the Macaw which has appeared in many Pirate LEGO sets, but if the LEGO Group were ever to release new Pirate sets, which bird species could make an interesting addition?

Sea Gulls

180px-Gull_is_eating_a_crayfish_2.jpg

Sea gulls are found almost everywhere, they're like a quintessential element of the sea - you can't have nautical adventures without them!

Toucans

250px-Pteroglossus-torquatus-001.jpg

Tucans are a brightly marked avid from the Americas so they'd

definitely make an interesting addition to jungle habitats.

Pelicans

180px-Strange_pelican_behaviour.jpg

Their beaks can hold more than their bellies can! Pelicans would make for another fine seafaring bird species.

Flamingoes

180px-Flamingo_National_Zoo.jpg

Flamingos represent grace and elegance, not to mention the subject of many campy Art Nouveau designs! Their pink feathers would certainly bring a splash of colour to the Pirate LEGO World.

Chickens

180px-Red_junglefowl_hm.jpg

Not really an exotic or seafaring bird species, but they find their place in colonial settlements and farmsteads. Governor Broadside does like eggs in his cooking after all!

Vote and tell us what you think!!!

How did you miss the opportunity to suggest a PHESant [sic]? :pir-tongue:

I am voting for the noble chicken. Good for pirates, castle, city, wild west, and almost any other theme out there. The kind of part LEGO could make a mold for and reuse over and over, which is the key to making it worth their effort and expense.

Chickens, most definately. That could lead to System farm sets, and Castle peasant sets! Woo! :grin:

~Peace

seagulls would be a nice addition to the pirate theme...still, i voted toucans. fruit loops are great! seriously though, toucans would be great for any jungle theme MOCs and would probably look quite nice sitting next to a few parrots

Any of them would make a great adition (or all of them).

But I think chickens would be most usefull.

I voted chicken! Fowl are great, they can be used in almost any theme, definately including pirates. (Ah, how I remember the school video on pirates where the guy's voice suddenly went really high when he said chickens... :pir-grin: ) I think for the flamingo option, you could probably make a brick-built flamingo. For the seagull, simply a recoloured parrot!

:skull:

Edited by Shoc

William Dampier immediately springs to mind as one pirate who visited the southern seas, but there's no need to travel far south as albatrosses can be found in the norther hemisphere too, although it seems they don't like the tropics.

I did consider adding albatrosses but I thought they looked too similar to gulls.

200px-Short_tailed_albatross.jpeg

A dodo might be a nice adition too, there really should be a lot more lego animals (turtles!, fish, jaguars etc. etc. anyone?, but that should be in a different topic)

Dodos were a consideration but I thought I'd limit the poll to 5 choices and they didn't seem suited to a Caribbean setting.

250px-Dodo_1.JPG

A dodo might be a nice adition too, there really should be a lot more lego animals (turtles!, fish, jaguars etc. etc. anyone?, but that should be in a different topic)

Yes, it probably sould be in a different topic. We do, nowadays, have a lot of Lego animals, but not enough!

I was planning on saving non bird species for a future poll, so stay tuned!

For now, let's focus on the birdies!!!

I voted chickens as well, they were plenty aboard ships and could also be used for a wide variety of themes! :thumbup:

The others would be nice too, especially the Toucan!

I'm leaning towards toucans because they're nice and colourful, but not too "loud" like flamingos.

toucan.jpg

Though I'd insist the colour be printed upon them and not stickers!

I voted seagulls, although a flamingo would be perfect for a trailer park MOC. :pir-laugh:

I'm leaning towards toucans because they're nice and colourful, but not too "loud" like flamingos.

You'll take the chicken and be happy with it. :pir-tongue:

Multi-purpose, no potential for stickers, commonly identified. I mean, seriously, who ever called the current birds 'macaws' except for you? They're parrots by all accounts, even if they aren't. I would have just been happy getting a yellow printed one, a green printed one, etc.

I'd even take the same bird with the tail snapped off, so it would look more like the Maltese Falcon.

Speaking of which, I collect the birds, whatever they are. I still need one of those medium green ones and then I'm finally done. :pir-classic:

I Voted for Pelicans because I'd be nice to see how well TLC hands its large beak compared to the rest of it's body.

I collect the birds, whatever they are. I still need one of those medium green ones and then I'm finally done. :pir-classic:

Yesss, I have probably every type of Lego bird, except the Fabuland ones. I don't use them much though :pir-tongue: I have one or two of those 'medium green' ones, they look good. My favourite current Lego bird would be the Phoenix though, I love Firebirds. :pir-classic:

Edited by Shoc

I voted for chickens, they are always useful in any theme. I remember reading books about the 16-17th century in which all kind of life-stock was brought along on ships sailing all over the world, especially chickens.

Of course we already have drumsticks, but they do not count in being a bird species, do they? :pir-sweet:

How did you miss the opportunity to suggest a PHESant [sic]? :pir-tongue:

That really cracked me up, thanks! :pir-laugh:

What's this? Birds? Can I pick more than one? :pir-wub:

My vote gets a seagull. I think they have a lot of charisma to them, and TLC could definetely make a wonderful LEGO Seagull.

I mean, seriously, who ever called the current birds 'macaws' except for you?

I call it a macaw. :pir-cry_sad:

Well, gentlemen, I voted for chiken, since it can be used in many other themes, but I guess penguins will be even better! ) :pir-tongue:

Speaking of which, I collect the birds, whatever they are. I still need one of those medium green ones and then I'm finally done. :pir-classic:

I feel sorry for the M-F that has to clean up after them. :pir-tongue:

Well i don't know why anyone hasn't voted for the flamingo. :pir-cry_sad:

Poor guys.

I mean talk about multi-theme diversity.

Going from new mars-mission aliens to lawn ornaments!

Fantastic! :thumbup:

Oops nevermind,

i also think that chickens would be the best choice. :pir-wink:

I've just checked my collection against Bricklink and found I have all of them :pir-grin: Must've been from my conservation period, eight 'macaws' too.

As for the poll - toucan for me; I think Lego chickens would be a bit dull - little brown moulds, easily lost I reckon.

I was planning on saving non bird species for a future poll, so stay tuned!

I was hoping so :classic: , maybe an ambasador can "persuade" lego to create them

I've just checked my collection against Bricklink and found I have all of them :pir-grin: Must've been from my conservation period, eight 'macaws' too.

As for the poll - toucan for me; I think Lego chickens would be a bit dull - little brown moulds, easily lost I reckon.

There's lot's more chickens than just brown ones (some chickens are pretty big as well), like white, grey, black or even multicoloured chickens :pir-wink: and you would also have roosters.

Edited by Fluyt