MKJoshA

May the 4th, 2020: Star Wars Economy Contest

May the 4th be with you! The galaxy is a big place. Beings and cultures of every shape, size, and flavor exist everywhere you go! And while we've seen either too much of the politics of Star Wars (Ep. 2) or too little (Ep. 7), we've barely scratched the surface of seeing the ways various cultures manage to survive from day-to-day.

May the 4th EB Contest

We've seen moisture farmers, Cantina bar-tenders, blue krill farmers, Klatooinian grog makers, Kessel miners, coaxium refiners and many others. But there are so many other ways an economy thrives in the Star Wars universe! Show something we've already seen or come up with something new that fits within the Star Wars universe.

There is only 1 category this year. But there will be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners. We had some challenges getting Lego to sponsor prizes this year so they are a little smaller. There is a chance that the prize pool could increase so check back for updates!

To enter you must build a MOC that shows economy happening within the Star Wars universe. Your build should showcase something that helps a group of people survive from day-to-day. This needs to involve more than just an average citizen at his 9-5 office job. Beyond that it's up to you! As always, if you have questions feel free to ask.

Rules

• Only one entry is allowed per person.
  • There is no maximum or minimum size limit.
  • The contest will run from 4th May to 15th June, 2020. As long as it's still June 15th somewhere in the world, you can still enter.
  • Entries posted after the deadline will be disqualified.
  • This contest is open to all EB members, even if they joined EB after the contest has begun, with the exception of the Star Wars staff, who are not eligible to win prizes.
  • All entries must be new creations, not posted anywhere else prior to being entered in the contest. You may be asked by a staff member to change your entry if it is too similar to an earlier creation.
  • All entries must be built from real LEGO. No clone brands, no third-party custom parts. Digital entries will be allowed. All digital entries must use only existing pieces in existing colors.
  • All entries must be posted as a new topic in the Watto’s Junkyard forum, the title prefixed by, "[Economy] - entry name". (For example, "[Economy] – Blue Milk Processing Plant".) Please place a link in this thread to your entry. That will ensure your entry is counted.
  • You may do a 'full-blown photo edit' with all the text, effects, background compositing, support erasing, and other effects on one picture. All your other pictures may have no editing other than color adjustment or background removal for a solid-color background. For obvious reasons, any photo editing that changes the shape, functionality, or color (not tint or adjustment, but actual color) of a LEGO piece is prohibited. It is also prohibited to use the Lego logo in any picture.
  • All entries are considered WIPs (Works In Progress) until the deadline passes. Until the deadline has passed, you are allowed to change and improve your MOC.
  • The winners will be decided by EB members voting. Only EB members who were members before May 4th, 2020 will be allowed to vote.

Prizes

• First place will win their pick of 75272 Sith TIE Fighter 75272-1.png

• 75278 D-075278-1.original.png

• 75269 Duel on Mustafar 75269-1.png
  • 2nd place picks from one of the remaining sets. And then 3rd place. The remaining set will be saved for a future contest.

• There will also be a raffle for 75267 Mandalorian Battle Pack. Anyone who doesn't win one of the top 3 places will be entered into the raffle:75267-1.png

I’m assuming that the LEGO logo on the studs of bricks is ok? And what about printed elements with the LEGO logo? Or were you just meaning that we can’t add the logo in post-processing?

5 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

I’m assuming that the LEGO logo on the studs of bricks is ok? And what about printed elements with the LEGO logo? Or were you just meaning that we can’t add the logo in post-processing?

That particular rule is an EB standard from long before I started running contests, but I'll do my best to answer! Obviously you can have the LEGO logo that is stamped, printed, or stickered onto bricks visible. I believe you just aren't allowed to photoshop it into your photos as it would be a copyright infringement.

BTW, this isn't the rules channel on the Style It Up! Discord group :laugh:

6 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Just cover up all the studs... done. 

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

BTW, this isn't the rules channel on the Style It Up! Discord group :laugh:

Whoops, my bad! It was something I was wondering, though, so thanks for answering!

I'll try not to ask too many inane questions...

9 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Whoops, my bad! It was something I was wondering, though, so thanks for answering!

I'll try not to ask too many inane questions...

Inane questions are allowed of course. You will just get docked questing points for each one :vader:

Just a few days left everyone, don't forget to post your entries here!

Contest has been updated with new prizes! Check out the first post. Also, the deadline has been extended to June 15th. So you still have time to enter!

Appreciate the new prizes! I still kinda just want the Mandos, though... Anyway, here's my entry:

I'll post it over on Factions soon. 

3 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Appreciate the new prizes! I still kinda just want the Mandos, though... Anyway, here's my entry:

I'll post it over on Factions soon. 

We're going to have some Mando prizes for Factions, so you'll have your chance!

Just now, MKJoshA said:

We're going to have some Mando prizes for Factions, so you'll have your chance!

Seriously? :yoda:

So, does this have to be a location vignette? Or can I enter a MOC spaceship with a detailed interior? (Or is it acceptable to just use part of the interior of the ship as a location vignette?)

8 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

So, does this have to be a location vignette? Or can I enter a MOC spaceship with a detailed interior? (Or is it acceptable to just use part of the interior of the ship as a location vignette?)

You can build pretty much anything. Location vignette, spaceship, or interior are all fine. What will really sell it is how you incorporate the Economy theme. That's probably easiest with a location MOC, but it's not necessary.

Is it possible to post an entry here and reuse it for Factions?

18 hours ago, dvogon said:

Is it possible to post an entry here and reuse it for Factions?

That's what I did. Posted here first.

11 hours ago, _ttharon_ said:

Can we cut flextubes/pneumatic tubes?

Yes, you can.