An alternate model for 42108 Mobile Crane:

640x360.jpg

Inspired by DAF CF trucks:

640x360.jpg

But first, what is a roll-off?

Roll-off truck at first glance looks like a hook loader or dump truck. The difference is how the whole loading/unloading of container works: the roll-off truck raises its hydraulically operated bed, the roll-off container rolls off the bed. A cable is used to slowly lower the container. After the waste container is loaded, the roll-off truck pulls the filled container onto the roll-off truck with the cable and winch system.

Comes with three manual functions, which are HoG steering, bed elevation and winch.

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

Model usues almost all parts from the set, which allowed to make detailed interior and exterior, with working steering wheel, openable doors, dashboard, air filter on the roof etc:

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

Let’s start with the container:

It almost does not have any gaps, so it can hold almost anything, starting from 1×1 plates, up to large chunks of “scrap” (here made from remaining parts):

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

Rear door of the container can be locked:

640x360.jpg

Underside of the container have added self-guiding rails, making loading of the container easier, if it’s not perfeclty aligned. Presented here by Rudolf:

640x360.jpg

This model can work as a regular dump truck:

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

Or as a roll-off system truck:

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

Both functions are operated by knobs located on either sides of the frame. Basically, whole middle section of the chassis is built around the XL actuator.

Here’s the video showing how it works:

Model comes with instructions, available at Sellfy and Rebrickable:

https://sellfy.com/p/7elaug/

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-41384/M_longer/42108-roll-off-truck/?inventory=1

Here are few sample pages:

800x565.jpg

800x565.jpg

800x565.jpg

Few comparison shots with test model (yellow door on the container looks better, don’t you think?)

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

Available in European and Australian specification:

640x360.jpg

And with my MAN TGS:

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

More pictures can be found here:

https://bricksafe.com/pages/M_longer/42108-alt/roll-off

This model could be also built (after few colour swaps) in Red:

640x360.jpg

Edited by M_longer

1 hour ago, suffocation said:

Mind-blowing C model

B one, this set is one of those with no official alternate one :(

Great model (as usual, I suppose you may get hard times once keeping raising the bar every time :wink:) and the perfect use of the super-long Linear actuator. Sometimes I just wanted the previously-long (the "middle one") actuator to be 1-stud longer, just a bit, to match the desired purpose. And now I see its perfectness alive, well done!

Just now, brickless_kiwi said:

Your Australian spec needs a bit of work. It's not quite been rolled, bowled and assholed...

Did you mean something like that "ʞɔnɹʇ ɟɟo-lloɹ"? I would add two more 4-axle trailers with the same dump container :blush:

Honestly, I like the model in both directions :thumbup:

Edited by Void_S

1 hour ago, Void_S said:

Great model (as usual, I suppose you may get hard times once keeping raising the bar every time :wink:) and the perfect use of the super-long Linear actuator. Sometimes I just wanted the previously-long (the "middle one") actuator to be 1-stud longer, just a bit, to match the desired purpose. And now I see its perfectness alive, well done!

Did you mean something like that "ʞɔnɹʇ ɟɟo-lloɹ"? I would add two more 4-axle trailers with the same dump container :blush:

Honestly, I like the model in both directions :thumbup:

There have been in the last couple of weeks in Australia some quite nasty truck accidents.

I would certainly go and buy a second 42108 to build this through I really do like the red.

We use a endless chain with a skate version. Safer for the driver quicker and you can have a much higher rated chain link than cable. 

Just now, valenciaeric said:

Better than the A model and better than all the 2020 official sets revealed so far, in my opinion.

Well, I wouldn't compare it with a crane, as they are quite different models (despite this crane is definitely not 10/10 for me anyways) but I really looking forward to compare it with upcoming Cement Mixer truck that should have also 8x4x4 configuration with twin-steering front axles and the same 49.5 wheels.

Again, lmao at all these B-models better than the A-model. Thank the gods I already have the pieces to build this.

Very impressive! I like how you thought of including different functions. The icing on the cake is the use of the rear bumper! *oh2* Brilliant idea. Unfortunately I find the A model so weak and disappointing that I will not buy it, although your B-Model is tempting ...

This is so good, thank You for sharing! I would prefer the australian one, but I am afraid it would not roll smooth, here in Hungary... :laugh: