Sign in to follow this  
P13c30fch33s3

[MOC] Eta-2 Actis Interceptor

Hello there!

The Eta-2 is my favourite ship in Star Wars. As it is extremely small in-universe (only 5.47m long), using a scale of 1.8m ~ 5 studs, all of Lego's official sets are way oversized. As such, I sought to create my own, (roughly) minifig-scale model. With the given scale, the design goal length was 15 studs long.

49839917041_d208a71801.jpgEta-2 Front by admiral_ackbar47, on Flickr

The end result is a model 17 studs long, necessary to include the all the detail I wanted. I'm quite happy with how it's turned out, it's close to scale, has all the functionality I wanted, looks cool and is still swooshable.

49839917406_e80d66bcaa.jpgEta-2 Wings Open Front Profile by admiral_ackbar47, on Flickr

One of the main flaws is height of the wingtips. One of the features I consider essential is properly articulated S-foils. To accomodate this particular design, the wingtips have to be much taller than they should be.

49840219732_8a888d1458.jpgEta-2 Side Profile by admiral_ackbar47, on Flickr

Another key flaw is the cockpit shape. The Eta-2's cockpit is not easy to recreate in Lego, especially at this scale. The piece that Lego uses for their Eta-2 models are much too large for this scale, and I don't think there is any piece that is particularly accurate here.

49839379238_8920a06626.jpgEta-2 next to modified 75038 by admiral_ackbar47, on Flickr

Finally, here is my MOC (left) next to a heavily modified version of Lego's 75038 (right), which retains that set's approximate dimensions.

Link to the full album.

Link to the .lxf on my Google Drive.

Edited by P13c30fch33s3
Added .lxf file link.

This looks great! even with the lack of a good canopy being available at that scale, it's still instantly recognizable and even though it's smaller than the actual set, it still looks better in some places IMO. With some prints on the canopy, that could easily be a $10-15 set put out by lego.

Looks great! Never seen one at that size but you certainly captured the shape well.

Never realized how oversized the official one actually is until I saw your comparison and the profile shot of your MOC which looks exactly the size it should be