Hi everyone! My entry for the Music To Our Ears contest on Lego Ideas has made it to the Top 9 entries, so I figured I'd share it here. It's currently in the crowd vote phase, so I'd appreciate it if you would head over there and give it a vote. But without further ado, here is the MOC:

49787917186_b37a64f2fd_z.jpg

One of the best things about music is that there are so many different styles of it. What better way to discover them all than at a music store! Celebrate the wide variety of music genres and musical instruments and relive the heyday of music stores with this modular building!

This corner building is comprised of a music store and a record shop on the ground floor and several apartments on the upper floors. Each apartment is themed after a popular music genre to suit the style of its inhabitant. The architect of the building designed it to look like a group of giant instruments to represent the four different types of instruments: An electric guitar (stringed), a clarinet (wind), a drum set (percussion), and a turntable (electronic). The floors can be separated to play inside.

This 2589-piece set is not only a great addition to anyone's modular buildings display, but also a fun playset that can serve as a home for your CMF musicians. Comes with 2 store owners and a new Classical Musician!

Let's take a closer look!

49787376618_19a4f29216_z.jpg

The sidewalk is patterned like a piano keyboard, and between the music and record stores, there a staircase going up to the apartments with tuplet-shaped handrails leading up to the door.

49787917106_edb48b4633_z.jpg

The music store has all kinds of different instruments. At the cash register, the store owner is having a discussion with the Classical Musician about which music is better: Classic or Metal.

49787376553_336e0681ee_z.jpg

Albums of all kinds line the walls of the record store. The Disco Guy likes to come here often to disco-ver new tunes to dance to.

49787376533_2434afa94e_z.jpg

The first apartments are dedicated to the pop star, disco guy, cowgirl, and saxophone player, representing pop, R&B and soul, country, and blues/jazz respectively.

49788237417_45ef472601_z.jpg

Next to the stairs to the top floor, there is a small corner with a table for the saxophone player for when he's not on the balcony.

49788237457_5a2bd2d11a_z.jpg

The last floor features rooms for the DJ, Rockstar, and Classical Musician, as well as a terrace with graffiti for the rapper to hang out on, representing techno, rock, classical music, and hip hop.

49788244877_bdd24b6f9d_z.jpg

There is a stark contrast between the styles of the three rooms. There is also a small closet with a broom and bucket in the hallway.

49787917131_4bfbc070c1_z.jpg

The turntable-shaped roof can be accessed via a ladder going up the clarinet tower.

49787917061_7c931da74f_z.jpg

I hope you like it. If you do, again, please give it your vote here. Since it has made it to the Top 9, it will be considered as a potential future set during the next Ideas review! :sweet:

Thanks, and keep on rockin'!

Sorry, already voted for the jazz band. 

This is great though, love the sidewalk and signage 

Great shop.
Very creative and a lot of details.
the Acces to the roof trough the clarinet is funny, nice solution :classic:

On 5/1/2020 at 9:40 AM, Merlict said:

Sorry, already voted for the jazz band. 

This is great though, love the sidewalk and signage 

Did so, too, sorry :/

But there are so many stunning entries among the finalists, it was very hard to choose! I really like your modular, it features so many different kinds and ways of music! :)

Voted for it, though it was difficult to choose - being a former music educator & musician, I liked all the top nine entries for various reasons.  But I've always been a sucker for a great modular ... :classic:

Very well done, very creative! But I very much doubt they will turn any MB MOC into an Ideas set. In this case I hope to be wrong, though :-)

I gave you my vote. Altghough the building might not be realistic, it is a a great concept to showcase music instruments and other elements. The story is easily recognized, and in a way it looks like a "one-man-band", but better.

The interior is nicely built with homage to different music style. I like how you incorporated different music-associated figs, even the cowgirl (I wouldn't thought of it). The back graffiti is a nice detail as well.

All in all, well done and built.:thumbup:

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! :sweet: There is only one more day to vote, so get your votes in! Of course, I understand if you want to vote for one of the other entries - they're all very good!

On 5/4/2020 at 1:06 AM, Redhead1982 said:

I gave you my vote. Although the building might not be realistic, it is a a great concept to showcase music instruments and other elements.

Thanks! While it may not be a conventional building, I wouldn't say that it is unrealistic as it was inspired by real-life buildings such as the Hard Rock Cafe or the Piano House in China. The idea was to make it fun and playful while also making it look like something an architect might actually design.

Very lively and elaborate modular. If we were on lego ideas you would have my support.

I am a Lego builder passionate about modular constructions if you have time and pleasure you can find my proposals on

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/2fc13079-3c2b-4037-b71e-66b0904e7ca2

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/876cb3a5-1dd7-4e52-8d33-ed68fd1d0902resize:800:450

resize:800:450

Edited by Franzplus

without any doubt a beautiful building. and you've got my vote. Would love to buy this as and include it in my modular collection