Sign in to follow this  
Daniel-Technic

Resealable bags question

Hello all.

i have been busy with sorting out my storage to make more room for my extended collection and I have dismantled most technic sets and putting in resealable bags to store them ( I have the original boxes but in different storage at the moment ).

I am wondering if the resealable bags I bought from Amazon is ok to store parts? They are LDPE type.

I am a bit concern will it affect plastic parts from resealable bags. I had some bags that has been in long storage time ( 25 years in freezer bags ( tie type ) ) and the parts that was in it seem to be fine with no issues. Also the rubber tyres has no problem as well.

Also I have lot of Really Usefull Box with Lego in it, be alright will it?

Daniel.

Well, I've used the Really Useful Boxes to store some of my modulars, train & town vehicles, etc. in when not displaying at shows - and they've been just fine.  I tend to use the translucent or transparent kinds, though if you're storing in a sunny area you might want something opaque (if they still make them?).  Just my two cents!

LEGO itself provides (or used to provide) parts in resealable LDPE bags (not in sets, but through Bricks & Pieces and at LEGO stores), so that should indicate that it’s safe. Besides, I have been storing parts in LDPE baggies since 1993 and it keeps them as new.

For the last 20 or so years, I have also been using Really Useful Boxes within cardboard boxes or opaque plastic bags: so box/bag -> Really Useful Box -> LDPE baggy -> part. All my parts stored that way are in perfect condition.

Poly(ethylene) and poly(propylene) are fine.  The problem comes when you have materials that outgas badly, such as PVC or PMMA (aka acrylic).  These release lower molecular weight oligomers or sometimes mers, which cause problems with the ABS (generally partially dissolving it) and can ruin it.  If you are worried, you can always look up plastics suitable for high vacuum.  Those that are don't outgas much and are likely good for storage.  Those that are not suitable for high vacuum are probably not good for storage.

For storage bags, I originally used resealable sandwich bags but this seemed to affect the pieces (the Lego started going a bit sticky). So I switched to museum quality archival storage bags made from LDPE:

https://www.preservationequipment.com/Catalogue/Archival-Storage/Photographic-Storage/Polyethylene-Zipper-Bags

The high grade versions of LDPE are supposed to be completely inert and won't affect the contents. I've been using them for a while now, and the bricks seem fine. I still have issues with the bricks coming out a little sticky, but I think that may just be residual oils from my skin left on the bricks after handling. Best results seem to be had from leaving the bricks loose in a cardboard box.

For my CMFs, I use glass jars.  You have to be careful to avoid the lids with plastisol, however, as this is PVC and causes problems (same with rubber seals on mason jars).  Cardboard can invite bugs or mice over time, and is not waterproof (more of a problem for sails, string, and stickers).  I tend to use large PP or PE bins for bulk parts storage and Ziploc bags for sets that are broken down and haven't had any issues.  Depending on the manufacture of the bags and their constituents, there may be issues.