Robert8

VIDIYO - Universal Music 2021

12 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Damn I was expecting a more positive response to this theme.

I really like it, preordered the whole set of figs and bought three beatboxes. The app is pretty fun as well. The one problem is the price for the beatboxes, as has been discussed many many times. 

The beatbox parts themselves (casing parts, display stands, hinged tiles, handle parts), and most of the parts from other themes, are available on B&P. A handful of the Bandmates parts as well.

So far, I have all the Series 1 Bandmates and the Alien DJ and Candy Mermaid Beatboxes. I might get more beatboxes in the future, but I also believe they are a bit expensive for what they provide, and will likely wait until they are on sale.

I will admit that while collecting the Bandmates over multiple shopping trips, I pulled out the tabs on the blind boxes and used my phone’s flashlight to peer inside the corner opening to identify the contents, all while trying not to rip the box or break the side seal. I don’t intend to get multiples of these, and it doesn’t matter if LEGO changes the blind packaging. I just can’t justify getting more than I need. And every display I came across was already searched through, so I couldn’t rely on grabbing full rows...

Overall, the draw for me is the minifigures, and surprisingly, the beatbits. It’s really cool to get so many interesting tile prints that look like album covers. I have no interest in the app, and others’ experiences with it has sealed the deal.

Regarding the figures, they’re all pretty great. The standout for me is the Ice Cream Saxophonist. There are a few bland ones, like the Samurai Rapper or Discowboy, but they almost seem... necessary? I’m ambivalent about the molded animal heads: I appreciate them doing anthropomorphic animals, but I don’t like the wacky hair on them at all... Otherwise, the whole series is delightfully varied and provides something different from traditional CMFs. 

For the next series of Bandmates, I seriously hope there are little to no rehashes. Some ideas come to mind, mainly ones for anthropomorphic animals, like a chicken, a lizard, or a dinosaur. Following the Ice Cream Saxophonist, it would be neat to see other foods as foods as minifigures, like a hot dog. Would also love to see a musical spaceman and maybe a faun or another mythical creature? It seems like anything is possible as long as you give it some musical accessory!

Edited by telaruhn

Do some more instruments we haven't seen before.

We got a violin in Series 21 and that was great but there are so many instruments they could make.

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

Do some more instruments we haven't seen before.

We got a violin in Series 21 and that was great but there are so many instruments they could make.

Yeah!! I would love a harp, a proper drum set, a cello and some more electric guitars. 

How about an electric bass guitar?

Or how about some brass instruments like a Trombone?

One of the new Harry Potter sets contains a moulded anthropomorphic cat headpiece (for cat-Hermione), so I wonder if we will see a reuse of the mould in the VIDIYO 2HY wave. 

76386-1.jpg?202010160807

All weights are in unopened boxes.  Standard deviation is calculated for any boxes where I had 3.

Alien rocker is 26.10g
Ice Cream Guy 26.21g
Samurai DJ 26.64g
Cheetah 26.80g
Werewolf 27.14g
Cheerleader 27.93g
Shark guy is 28.28 ± 0.11g

Edited by Grover

Anyone else been unable to find the VIDYO blind boxes AT ALL? I don't think I've found a single UK store that's stocking them.

Are the second wave of these sets supposed to come out at the end of Summer or is it a next year release? Seems like they would probably be placing the second bandmates series between the Loony Tuens and Marvel CMFs but no leaks or information on them or the second wave so far

1 hour ago, Brick Cucumber said:

Are the second wave of these sets supposed to come out at the end of Summer or is it a next year release? 

October of this year, IIRC. 

3 hours ago, Brick Cucumber said:

Anyone else been unable to find the VIDYO blind boxes AT ALL? I don't think I've found a single UK store that's stocking them.

Are the second wave of these sets supposed to come out at the end of Summer or is it a next year release? Seems like they would probably be placing the second bandmates series between the Loony Tuens and Marvel CMFs but no leaks or information on them or the second wave so far

My wife found them in Tesco. My daughter wanted the mermaid beatbox and a band mate, which turned out to be the ice cream guy, which she was really stoked about.

4 hours ago, jonwil said:

The blind boxes are everywhere here in Australia...

Yeah these are the most widely available and easily obtainable LEGO item I've ever seen since moving to Oz!

7 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

My wife found them in Tesco. My daughter wanted the mermaid beatbox and a band mate, which turned out to be the ice cream guy, which she was really stoked about.

B&M also had them, they were £2.49 each on release.

I wonder whats stopping people from buying them. Walmart is overworked with them. Could it be he price, the fact that the bandmates are in boxes instead of bags, or just lack of appeal to a bigger audience? Though the price still gets me, I don't mind that the bandmates are in boxes anymore, I actually prefer it now over blind bags, I know it sounds strange :wink:.

Edited by BrickFit26

If the blind figs weren't in boxes I would probably have bought a few (I bought one only because I needed something to hit free shipping on Shop @ Home).

The larger boxes are just too expensive for what you get (even with the discounts I have seen)

New bandmates, stages and beatboxes are over on Insta.

Stages are a little different to how I thought they would be but seem to be interesting. Looks like some might fold up.

Bandmates are a bit disappointing, a lot of them are opposites of their Series 1 counterparts, but there’s a couple of unique ones in there.

Edited by ChrisW

Okay, we finally got pictures of the sets.

They're... Not terrible, I kinda like the robot limousine 

Im really curious about the sucess of these.

I just think its way too weird and without any existing connection to tap into the market so expensive.

People know Disney princesses or Marvel or whatever. But will they buy something even more expensive that may be a cool design but that has no backstory, no connection in existing culture?

Designs are really cool! But at least the former Lego original stuff  (ninjago, TLM, TLBM etc.) was cheaper than the norm. This is waaay more expensive.

Okay, wow. Is it just me or are these new ‘stage’ sets kind of awesome? I love them! The pirate ship is really cute, I like the ice cream parlour, and the hip hop limousine, and the alicorn stage and - okay the beatbox is meh but the other four are amazing! And there’s a dragon DJ? Yes, I’ve been wanting more anthropomorphic dragon figures for ages! Where was all this awesomeness in the first wave? 
Side note; it amuses me that there’s a Bandmate whose head is a tiny version of the Vidiyo boxes. Maybe we’ll see that part reused in City or the next Modular or something for a Vidiyo fan kid?

In more seriousness than my previous comment, a few thoughts.

1. I cannot fathom the business decision to launch this theme WITHOUT something like this second wave. Yes these are just as colourful, weird and out of left-field, but there's actually something LEGO about them. Why would they start the theme off without actual sets?

2. The release structure makes me feel like this theme has always been engineered for short tik tok attention spans (oh no the kids are bored of the first round - give them more immediatly or they'll drop the app!) - which also makes me wonder how long this has planned for? They can't keep up the barrage of new material to this degree for long. On the other hand maybe it's almost like a two-stage rollout and then they'll wait and see how these have done.

3. Do those bears remind anyone else of Gummibär? That was my instant thought.

Wait the stage folds into a beatbox?!?!?! That is the awesomest thing. I love the pirate ship too. Great wave, even if there are a lot of recoloured moles. Glad to see the first series of beatbits is still being used so it’s possible to get them all. 

The sets look neat - might get the limo car.

And one of the figs in the K-pawp set has a new wings piece, which would work very well for a Angel X-man in white...

EDIT: The slime guy in the blindbags S2 would make a great clayface fig!

Edited by admiral_typhoon