Robert8

VIDIYO - Universal Music 2021

Went into a Henry Bear's toy store earlier. They had loads of first wave VIDIYO Beat Boxes, but rather than reduce them, they were all priced at $5 above RRP ($25). I suspect they will stay there for a while.

I wish someone will post at least concept art, or maybe even prototypes of those sets listed

It would be very interesting to see the goth witch and the goth carriage

Or the tropical corn parade. Tropical dancers and a big parade car in the form of corn? That should look cool, right?

This concept/prototype art might be related to the Monster Metal castle set. 

11 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I wish someone will post at least concept art, or maybe even prototypes of those sets listed

It would be very interesting to see the goth witch and the goth carriage

I agree. I will try to MOC the metal Castle Stage thing. We already have two of the figures on the poster. 

8 hours ago, Borex said:

Or the tropical corn parade. Tropical dancers and a big parade car in the form of corn? That should look cool, right?

Yeah! Especially that the summer city sets (farm related) will bring us a new corn piece!

Edited by Megbricks

Just scored a whole bunch of Series 1 bandmates for $3.99 Cdn ($4.99 MRSP) at Amazon.  No Series 2 ones to be found...but picked up a Carnaval Dancer minifig on BL at an elevated, but still acceptable price.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

1 minute ago, alvinofdiaspar said:

Just scored a whole bunch of Series 1 bandmates for $3.99 Cdn ($4.99 MRSP) at Amazon.

If you have a ToysRUs near you they are 2,78!!!!

1 minute ago, Megbricks said:

If you have a ToysRUs near you they are 2,78!!!! 

They're out of stock - at $3.48, and no free shipping.  I am only picking up 6 and I have Prime, so it's even.  I spent yesterday tracking down all the Beatbits and Bricklinking them :laugh:

2 hours ago, alvinofdiaspar said:

They're out of stock - at $3.48, and no free shipping.  I am only picking up 6 and I have Prime, so it's even.  I spent yesterday tracking down all the Beatbits and Bricklinking them :laugh:

Haha you found them all? Here it says 3,48 and out of stock online but i just saw the équivalent of 3-4 boxes at 2,78$ in store!!! Still 3,99$ is a good deal for minifigs that great. :)

See second  picture of my post from jan 8th. They were still there yesterday. 

7 hours ago, Megbricks said:

Haha you found them all? Here it says 3,48 and out of stock online but i just saw the équivalent of 3-4 boxes at 2,78$ in store!!! Still 3,99$ is a good deal for minifigs that great. :)

oh the blind "bags" I found in several stores in Germany for 1,5€.  Unlike music boxes though I didn't take any as there is no way to know what figs are inside..

Oh boy... that monster metal poster looks cool. Especially the shoulder armour is just awesome... It is very sad to see the lost potential. The axe guitar is by far my favourite Lego piece of the year. I wish Lego would have started with stuff like that... 

58 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

Oh boy... that monster metal poster looks cool. Especially the shoulder armour is just awesome... It is very sad to see the lost potential. The axe guitar is by far my favourite Lego piece of the year. I wish Lego would have started with stuff like that... 

I am hoping that lego eventually does a theme like this again but without the interactive part. Something this colorful and fun with mire elaborate builds. 

1 hour ago, Megbricks said:

I am hoping that lego eventually does a theme like this again but without the interactive part. Something this colorful and fun with mire elaborate builds. 

Maybe we are lucky and Lego already made some moulds that will be used in other themes... i could imagine the shoulder armour working wonderfull for an Orc or evil knight.

To me it seems that Lego is completely unable to put a fitting price tag on digital content. There are wonderfull videogames with hundreds of hours gameplay for very few bucks and free music on youtube (yeah, sure, in theory  you are paying by watching commerials, but everyone uses add blockers) ... with a well made minifigure worth 4€ Lego tried to charge 16€ for a hand full of cheap little animations and music. Lego Dimensions offered much more value for the money and failed...

I think Vidijo would have benefited from more parts usable outside of the Vidijo theme. For example the punk pirate really only works as punk pirate. He doesn't fit into a city as a generic punk nor does any of his pieces work for a regular pirate. The most popular figures seen to be mostly the ones like the vampires that are still working with classic themes.

Edited by Gorilla94

11 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

To me it seems that Lego is completely unable to put a fitting price tag on digital content. 

Yes! I think this is right and the lesson Lego seems unwilling to learn is that the price tag for in house Lego digital content that people are willing to pay is basically zero. The other day there was a survey on Lego.com about what was essentially a paid social media platform TLG must be about to launch- digital/ screens seem like this white whale that Lego can’t resist trying to hunt. 

let other platforms whose expertise is digital be digital and stay in your buildable, screen free lane. Partner with orgs who do it better if you must but most people enjoy Lego for what it already is.

I loved Vidiyo for how weird it was- I didn’t let my kids really interact with the app because that isn’t what Lego is in this house. Our Lego town smoothie shop is staffed by a Vidiyo dragon mini fig though, which is actually representative of TLG’s core mission statement.

I will pay $$$ for sets but invest zero time or cash in digital platforms out of brand loyalty.

16 hours ago, Gobias1234 said:

Yes! I think this is right and the lesson Lego seems unwilling to learn is that the price tag for in house Lego digital content that people are willing to pay is basically zero. The other day there was a survey on Lego.com about what was essentially a paid social media platform TLG must be about to launch- digital/ screens seem like this white whale that Lego can’t resist trying to hunt. 

let other platforms whose expertise is digital be digital and stay in your buildable, screen free lane. Partner with orgs who do it better if you must but most people enjoy Lego for what it already is.

I loved Vidiyo for how weird it was- I didn’t let my kids really interact with the app because that isn’t what Lego is in this house. Our Lego town smoothie shop is staffed by a Vidiyo dragon mini fig though, which is actually representative of TLG’s core mission statement.

I will pay $$$ for sets but invest zero time or cash in digital platforms out of brand loyalty.

I get really tired of these kinds of broad declarations about what Lego "is" or "isn't" that seem based more in one's own personal preferences than what actually works or doesn't.

The reality is that while some "digital" Lego experiences have failed, that's far from universal. Lego has been experimenting with digital extensions of their brand since my childhood in the 1990s, including things like their old computer games, Lego Mindstorms, various web and app games, and more. And many of those have been great successes! What has happened more recently has been experimenting with the relatively new frontier of digital/physical integration, and the results, while mixed, haven't been as uniformly negative as people make them out to be. Nexo Knights was generally about as successful as its non-app-connected predecessor Legends of Chima was, and Hidden Side actually outlasted most earlier "spooky" themes like Scooby Doo and Monster Fighters. Even the outright "failures" like Life of George, Lego Fusion, and Vidiyo give insight into what is or isn't worth pursuing in that space, so that future themes can learn from that.

Acting like integrated digital experiences are an unachievable goal isn't just inaccurate, it's a recipe for potential decline. Many kids today are more tech-savvy than ever before and if Lego treats those interests and passions as entirely counter to their brand values and mission, as you seem to, it'll merely alienate them further from Lego as a hobby. Relevance in the toy industry requires meeting kids where they are, not just where you want them to be, and that can mean stepping outside the comfort zone of what worked thirty or forty years ago. That means that there will continue to be themes that don't appeal to you personally as an AFOL and parent. That's okay! That's what the other themes are for! The point of having separate "themes" in the first place has always been offering things for varying tastes, not making everything be for everyone.

On 1/23/2022 at 8:47 PM, Megbricks said:

None where I am - in any case I am not really in the market to collect all the minifigs - I already got 2x of what I really wanted from the 6 that I ordered (Ice Cream Saxophonist).

Anyways, I think what Vidiyo would have benefitted from is using the smartphone display as a stage background for actual minifigs - instead of AR, but it would be difficult to do given the wide diversity of phones out there in differing sizes, etc.  I can't help but see the potential of having a custom LCD display for a stage though.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

Didn't we get a set list of canceled sets? I think one had a castle? I cannot find it. 

I found it, from StoneWars

According to the source, builds with the following names would have been released in 2022. These are reported to not be the only planned VIDIYO models in the future with 18 being rumoured, though these are the only ones that are named:

Monster Metal Castle
Dinosaur RandB Skate Park
Cutesy Goth Carriage
Llama’s Tropicorn Parade
Goth witch BeatBox
Rock Viking BeatBox

I think that out of all of the sets, the one that hurts the most for me is the Dinosaur Skate Park. I would have really liked to see some Dinosaur minifigs. For the monster metal castle, I wonder what they had in mind, since we had already gotten so many metal monsters in the theme. Recolors, perhaps?

On 2/5/2022 at 2:19 AM, Mr No said:

I found it, from StoneWars

According to the source, builds with the following names would have been released in 2022. These are reported to not be the only planned VIDIYO models in the future with 18 being rumoured, though these are the only ones that are named:

Monster Metal Castle
Dinosaur RandB Skate Park
Cutesy Goth Carriage
Llama’s Tropicorn Parade
Goth witch BeatBox
Rock Viking BeatBox

Perhaps one day we will have a second wave of prototype images…Lego was kind enough to post a bunch of them this year… who knows.. down in the future…

19 hours ago, BrickHat said:

I think that out of all of the sets, the one that hurts the most for me is the Dinosaur Skate Park. I would have really liked to see some Dinosaur minifigs. For the monster metal castle, I wonder what they had in mind, since we had already gotten so many metal monsters in the theme. Recolors, perhaps?

Very colorful dinos would have been great!!! Kinda like the 2 sharks they made. So sad..

Well Mr. No has been banned out of here on Eurobricks thanks to him spreading fake rumors (for Zelda and Knights of Valor).

if this post made by Mr. No is true, then that would awesome. I would grab a few minifigures rather than buying entire sets. 

I’m kinda interested in Dino Skate and Llama’s Tropicorn Parade stuff.

1 hour ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Well Mr. No has been banned out of here on Eurobricks thanks to him spreading fake rumors (for Zelda and Knights of Valor).

if this post made by Mr. No is true, then that would awesome. I would grab a few minifigures rather than buying entire sets. 

I’m kinda interested in Dino Skate and Llama’s Tropicorn Parade stuff.

The original source is reliable:

https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-vidiyo-wird-eingestellt/

Keep in mind they were cancelled, though. We won't ever see those Dino minifigs. :sceptic:

On 2/6/2022 at 12:41 PM, Natant16 said:

Is it possible to buy the second wave of bandmates anywhere, or is bricklink the only option?

I found them at Walmart just before Christmas, may still be some in stores. After Christmas they moved what was left in the stocking stuffers display onto a random spot in the LEGO aisle with no price tag. Not sure if any are still around in my store but it's certainly possible they're still available some places.