Robert8

VIDIYO - Universal Music 2021

Wow that was quick... The second wave launched directly at 50% discount at the largest online toyshop in Norway so it wasn't exactly a surprise that it was doing bad, but still... There are a few of the series 2 bandmates I want, so hopefully it will be possible to get a hold of them.

Remember this next time an unofficial Lego PR person says "Lego can't afford to do X" when we complain about them cheaping out, or "I think Lego knows what sells better than you do" when we complain about not getting sets/themes we want.

Lego CAN afford to throw away tons of money on a theme that nobody asked for or understood. If they can afford that, they can do a lot of things we ask for, like print more pieces or bring back popular molds.

Lego DOESN'T know what themes will sell better than AFOLs do. Or they just don't care.

Well, it’s not a shocking news for me to hear that the Lego Group is preparing a funereal for VIDIYO… 

BUT I will need anchor guitar and axe-shaped guitar! And I will grab a few animal minifigures before they could disappear from stores. 

My question: with VIDIYO’s death, I wonder this will increase CMF from 12 to 16 minifiugres? I dunno…

1 hour ago, danth said:

Lego DOESN'T know what themes will sell better than AFOLs do. Or they just don't care.

But then again all too often my impression is that AFOLs and other LEGO fan circles just don't know what they really want, either... :D

Mylenium

Have we seen pics of the series 2 Bandmates? I still hope they will happen, as I love the figs from this range.

I still don't think the idea was that bad. There were two killer issues for me, the implementation of the app and the pricing. 

If they’re going to reboot it in 2023 hopefully they lose the blind boxes, ditch the unlego-boxes and drop the prices. 
If series 2 will be released in just a few stores in a few places it will be hard to get that green mud-man and vampirella

Thank you. I need that pink gummy bear, for sure. They all look great, just hope they won't be too limited in their release. Either release them fully, or not at all.

LEGO statement: 'We're not cancelling it. We're just pausing production, then reworking some of the elements, and ultimately completely changing the concept to start again. But we're keeping the name. Probably. And it's definitely not cancelled.'

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-releases-statement-regarding-lego-vidiyo-cancellation-rumors/

Its seems their pride really took a hit with this non-cancellation

3 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

LEGO statement: 'We're not cancelling it. We're just pausing production, then reworking some of the elements, and ultimately completely changing the concept to start again. But we're keeping the name. Probably. And it's definitely not cancelled.'

...and according to the Oxford Dictionary of Corporate Gobbledygook it's still just BS. This product is deader than a zombie and re-using the name would be stupid. Any brand consultant would tell you that and advise against even trying. It's burnt.

Mylenium

I predict  a completely new range called Moosic, headed up by a singing cow.

I have received an update from TLG.

We wanted to provide you with an update regarding LEGO VIDIYO.

As you know, we launched LEGO VIDIYO in January to connect with children in a completely new way, blending music, digital play and LEGO building in a fun and unique way. The product tested extremely well during development and has received really positive feedback from those children and families who have played with it.

We’ve seen a positive response to the launch, but we’ve also received feedback from people that we could make the play experience across the app, BeatBits, music and minifigures even simpler. So, we’re taking that onboard and together with Universal Music Group are going to pilot some new ideas in 2022, then release new play experiences in 2023 and beyond. 

LEGO VIDIYO is very much still available, the current products will continue to be sold in stores and marketed globally, and we’re continuing to support this fantastic play experience, including new updates and fun challenges to the app to inspire children's creative music video making.

Thank you for your continued support of the LEGO brand, we hope for your understanding behind this decision.

13 hours ago, danth said:

Remember this next time an unofficial Lego PR person says "Lego can't afford to do X" when we complain about them cheaping out, or "I think Lego knows what sells better than you do" when we complain about not getting sets/themes we want.

Lego CAN afford to throw away tons of money on a theme that nobody asked for or understood. If they can afford that, they can do a lot of things we ask for, like print more pieces or bring back popular molds.

I think it's a bit too easy to think like this. If you ever worked in a company - there probably were different departements. Maybe there's one (with a certain budget) for new, weird and original themes. Ironically many people criticize TLG for not doing original themes. Maybe this is also a way of them trying to prevent licenced themes to become too powerful and popular. Would be bad for Marvel fans but then again it's Lego and of course they'd want to strengthen their own ideas and projects. Can also be that you are right I'm just saying we don't know because none of us work there. We don't have the right to make up conspiracies all the time. Yes we can do it anyway but morally it's something bad to do.

I'm also very critical of this theme. And I have no intention to be the "I told you so-person". But yeah, there seems to be a divergence between a departement, maybe filled with very artistic employees which is great - but not enough sense for consumer reality. And I hope these themes are just Lego playing and trying around. I really hope because in the early 2000's such experiments nearly broke the company. In capitalism it's a thin line between "biggest" and "broke" toy company.

So I don't make any survesy but I'd say it's ludacrys if you go into any toy store. You find some plastic toys and they go for a fraction of what Lego gives you. You can buy 2 cool cars with functions but with Lego you get one figure in a box. And as there is no licence related there's also little recognisability. With Harry Potter, as long as the new things are good, fans will pass by and say "hmm I have 10 of them but this one is cooler". There's nothing to relate with this theme though. And the price of a figure makes it look like they are made out of gold.

How discounted has this theme got in other countries? Beatboxes are currently 62% off and the second wave is 50% off here in Australia. (Still not worth it IMO).

Here the sets were between 50-60% off, beatboxes 55%. That isn't as good as it sounds though since the sets are marked up for Norway. 

At 50% or more off, I think the sets and figs are worth picking up.

• I love the amount of printed tiles, I am sure these will be useful for a bit of flair in mocs.
  • Some of the figs are really good, wish the colors had been dialed a tad back though since that would have made them a bit more versatile
  • The Candy Castle Stage was my favourite for parts since there was a bit more tan and reddish brown there

Disclaimer: I have never tried the app (and probably never will), have not built the sets, just bought them for figs & parts. Maybe I will build the boombox eventually.

3 hours ago, User5346 said:

How discounted has this theme got in other countries? Beatboxes are currently 62% off and the second wave is 50% off here in Australia. (Still not worth it IMO).

Overhere you can buy the big boxes for 50% in certain stores (kruidvat), but the little blind boxes remain the same. Still too expensive for me really. I won’t spend 9€ for a minifig with some printed tiles and a big box that takes up space in my house for no reason. 

6 hours ago, User5346 said:

Here in the States, Walmart will be where we see the biggest discounts. Fall reset is right around the corner, and if they don't go on major discount then, they will in the post-holiday clearance. I suspect $4-$5 BeatBoxes will not be uncommon, with some stores slashing them even deeper. Bandmates are harder to gauge, as CMFs rarely go on clearance even when they warm pegs. They tend to just "disappear" one day. Polybags do go on clearance on occasion, and if we go by past examples, anywhere from $1-$3 might be possible. It's a waiting game at this point.

Target will probably start it all off at 30%, then follow their standard deduction protocol until it's all sold, or they get tired of printing new tags and just send the rest off to the shredder.

Edited by K_Tiger

I've seen beat boxes go down as much as 50%, regular sets about 33% .

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, K_Tiger said:

Here in the States, Walmart will be where we see the biggest discounts. Fall reset is right around the corner, and if they don't go on major discount then, they will in the post-holiday clearance. I suspect $4-$5 BeatBoxes will not be uncommon, with some stores slashing them even deeper. Bandmates are harder to gauge, as CMFs rarely go on clearance even when they warm pegs. They tend to just "disappear" one day. Polybags do go on clearance on occasion, and if we go by past examples, anywhere from $1-$3 might be possible. It's a waiting game at this point.

Target will probably start it all off at 30%, then follow their standard deduction protocol until it's all sold, or they get tired of printing new tags and just send the rest off to the shredder.

Where do y’all Americans buy your Lego? I’m coming to New York and wanted to pick up some cheap Vidiyo

1 hour ago, Lego-fire said:

Where do y’all Americans buy your Lego? I’m coming to New York and wanted to pick up some cheap Vidiyo

The only place that is finally just starting to discount some Vidiyo is Walmart.  We haven't gotten any of the Second Wave released here yet and now it seems likely that it will be very hard to find anywhere outside of directly from Lego.  I don't think you will be able to pick up much if any here cheaply.

1 hour ago, Lego-fire said:

That largely depends on region. All Walmarts and Targets carry them, then you'll have various regional retail/grocery chains that carry LEGO. Usually the only place you'll see deeply discounted LEGO is Walmart and Target, and generally only at certain times a year.