Robert8

VIDIYO - Universal Music 2021

56 minutes ago, Megbricks said:

That is crazy good deal

It is! Too bad the offers aren’t on themes I’m actually invested in :head_back:

1 hour ago, Lego-fire said:

I don’t know if it’s just VIDIYO though, because in Sainsbury’s (U.K. supermarket) the other day I saw new Harry Potter sets from June (Fawkes + polyjuice potion) 33% off on clearance. There were marvel sets there as well. As HP and marvel are usually super popular…:shrug_oh_well:

Good point. I remember when Sainsbury’s had like 85-90% off the smallest overwatch set *huh*

6 hours ago, Lego-fire said:

I don’t know if it’s just VIDIYO though, because in Sainsbury’s (U.K. supermarket) the other day I saw new Harry Potter sets from June (Fawkes + polyjuice potion) 33% off on clearance. There were marvel sets there as well. As HP and marvel are usually super popular…:shrug_oh_well:

That is the way lego pricing has gone recently. Many sets are so overpriced these days, the business model seems to be set prices to allow for a 33% discount.

17 minutes ago, MAB said:

That is the way lego pricing has gone recently. Many sets are so overpriced these days, the business model seems to be set prices to allow for a 33% discount.

Mmm yeah- but this was clearance meaning they’re actually get ting rid of it

On 7/15/2021 at 8:41 AM, Lyichir said:

Even for sets that are not yet "in production", cancelling an already announced product is fairly rare for Lego (though not unheard of), and especially for something like a minifigure series that relies on a decent number of new molds, the substantial pre-production costs (including designing, engineering, and fabricating molds) would have already been committed. Even if the Vidiyo series is going to be more of a flash in the pan it's still likely cheaper for Lego to release the currently revealed sets as planned.

My fear, though, is that if, say, the theme is struggling, the Series 2 Bandmates won’t get a global release and will only be released in limited quantities in the bigger markets. I still remember that Australia didn’t get the last wave of LEGO Movie 2 sets while the previous sets were in the throws of a six month clearance campaign to get them off the shelves. They were available on LEGO.com, but not for very long before they were out of stock indefinitely. While I’m not seeing clear similarities yet, I’m still wisened by the reality that we’re not guaranteed a product release here, especially if the theme isn’t doing so well across the board. 

I’d get over it, for sure, but I’d be pretty disappointed to miss out on those minifigs.

On 7/15/2021 at 6:44 PM, Lego-fire said:

Mmm yeah- but this was clearance meaning they’re actually get ting rid of it

Maybe they want to get rid of LEGO off the shelves to make way for more traditional summer toys. LEGO doesn't sell so well at this time of year and takes up a lot of shelf space, especially for a supermarket where they need high turnover of items on shelves. It happened with The Hobbit sets. Sets from wave 3 (Lonely Mountain, Battle of Five Armies) were 50% off at ASDA and some other retailers just three weeks after release.

All of the new sets are now 50% or more off in Australia from one major retailer and matched by two online only ones (well, all of the stores will do a price match if you ask them, but that's another matter). That does potentially seem like bad news for those hoping for more of this theme, and I wonder if Bandmates S2 will be exclusive to LEGO/Certified Stores.

Good news for people that want the sets but don't want to pay anywhere near full price, though.

Picked up the big boom box today (having decided that 50% off was a price I could live with even just as a parts pack). Great set and a fun build as well. Lots of nice parts (I think the axe guitar might be one of my favorite new-for-2021 LEGO pieces due to how much I love electric guitars and how much I love using big giant axes in video games)

Having bought the Boom Box today (and picked up both the axe guitar and the black guitar with the very dark grey wavy print) and already having the anchor guitar from the Pirate Beat Box, the pink and white striped guitar from the Mermaid Beat Box, the saxophone from previous sets and also the Saxophonist blind box, the Tambourine from the Genie blind box, the green keytar from the Alien blind box, the violin from the CMF violinist and the white guitar from LEGO Bricks & Pieces (as part of piecing together the Steamboat Willie set)I think I got all the musical instruments that appear in the Vidiyo line except the green maracas from the Llama beat box (which are available on LEGO Bricks & Pieces and will probably be in my next order). Anyone know of any instruments I missed or any new instruments in the Series 2 blind boxes?

5 hours ago, jonwil said:

Picked up the big boom box today (having decided that 50% off was a price I could live with even just as a parts pack). Great set and a fun build as well. Lots of nice parts (I think the axe guitar might be one of my favorite new-for-2021 LEGO pieces due to how much I love electric guitars and how much I love using big giant axes in video games)

Having bought the Boom Box today (and picked up both the axe guitar and the black guitar with the very dark grey wavy print) and already having the anchor guitar from the Pirate Beat Box, the pink and white striped guitar from the Mermaid Beat Box, the saxophone from previous sets and also the Saxophonist blind box, the Tambourine from the Genie blind box, the green keytar from the Alien blind box, the violin from the CMF violinist and the white guitar from LEGO Bricks & Pieces (as part of piecing together the Steamboat Willie set)I think I got all the musical instruments that appear in the Vidiyo line except the green maracas from the Llama beat box (which are available on LEGO Bricks & Pieces and will probably be in my next order). Anyone know of any instruments I missed or any new instruments in the Series 2 blind boxes?

Presumably you’ve got the red electric guitar and brown acoustic guitar? Pirate Punk ship has a drum set, original series 1 CMF (2010) clown has a kinda horn. series 2 Bandmates would only have a white acoustic guitar as new, and you’ve got that. There’s printed maracas in the Spanish minifigure in series 2 CMF (2011). 

So the only one from VIDIYO you’re missing is the drum set as far as I can see. :pir-huzzah1:

I don’t think I can find Axe-shaped guitar and anchor guitar on B&P at the moment. Does that mean they are not available for purchase?

Checking the instructions online it looks like I have all the parts for the drum kit on the pirate ship including the HP wands being used as drum sticks.
And checking Bricklink it looks like I own all the guitars in their database (in all the known colors including the B&P-only tan acoustic guitar). I have both colors of keytar, the violin, the violin case and even the round stickered sign piece lute from that one Elves set.

I think the only stringed instruments I am missing are the Duplo guitar (because I don't do Duplo) and some stuff from that Dreamworks movie that's kinda music themed and that I refuse to speak the name of (or own any of the parts/sets from) because of how bad it is unless there is something missing from the BL database (i.e. a stickered part that hasn't been added yet) or a part that isn't comming up under a search for "guitar" or "violin".

9 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I don’t think I can find Axe-shaped guitar and anchor guitar on B&P at the moment. Does that mean they are not available for purchase?

I think those were a phone order only situation, not listed online.

On 7/22/2021 at 3:46 PM, sunhuntin said:

@Pchan1983 The Warehouse has them all 50% off. I put everything i didn't have on layaway. Looks like a permanent price drop.

yes just saw that too, I hope they still going to release the bandmates series 2.....

Looks like this is the end of the road for VIDIYO: https://www-promobricks-de.translate.goog/lego-vidiyo-wird-eingestellt/127968/?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=ajax,sc,elem (Google Translate link of Promobricks)

I am all for experimental themes, despite disliking sets whose main play function revolves around the use of a smartphone / an app (RIP Power Functions :cry_sad:). I'd love to see an experiment to bring back one of the classic themes like Castle, Pirates, Space, just to see how they would perform and to judge whether profits lie in outlandish themes or in more archetypal settings.

8 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

RIP Vidyio for 2022 and probably series 2 of band mates 

What do you mean?

About S2 I mean

Just now, Robert8 said:

What do you mean? About S2 I mean

Most retailers seem to have cancelled their orders, so it will be difficult to even get it. Likely this may only be available at official LEGO stores even.

Mylenium

Oh really

Dude... this is the worst a LEGO theme has bombed in a long time

With stores canceling orders now i'm sure Series 2 of bandmates is already in production. Sets are packaged 1-2 months ahead of release and that's not including the lead time to produce the parts Distribution may be more limited, S@H and LEGO Stores for example but i'm sure they'll still show up. I really hope they do, they're the only Vidiyo products I had any interest in purchasing.

It isn't surprising, but it is a shame. The app is fundamentally flawed though, with terrible performance. And the fact that it was an integral part of using anything released in the first wave was foolish, as there was nothing else to do with the first wave products. I don't understand why they didn't release some/all of the second wave sets initially. That gives you something to build and play with, so it's not quite such a terrible disappointment when you try and use the app.

I really like some of the figures. And most of the sets are tremendous. Maybe they can drop the app and music licenses and make this a Friends/Fabuland mix at a lower price point.

28 minutes ago, GlacierPhoenix said:

With stores canceling orders now i'm sure Series 2 of bandmates is already in production. Sets are packaged 1-2 months ahead of release and that's not including the lead time to produce the parts Distribution may be more limited, S@H and LEGO Stores for example but i'm sure they'll still show up. I really hope they do, they're the only Vidiyo products I had any interest in purchasing.

It depends on when lego offered the cancelation. It might have been to see if band mates was worth producing. Odds bandmates 2 series will show up are 50/50 at this point 

13 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

It depends on when lego offered the cancelation. It might have been to see if band mates was worth producing.

The writing was probably on the wall already with retailers not ordering restocks of series 1 and the sets, so it doesn't really take much mind-reading that Bandmates series 2 would be a tough sell. I'm hoping it will still come out in some form, but chasing it to get a complete line-up might become tricky.

Mylenium

Can’t say I’m all that surprised, but I hope S2 of the bandmates will still be available at some places at least *huh* The minifigs this theme had to offer were amazing!

Although, the first thought that went through my mind after reading the news was, how long it would take until the first comment would show up along the lines of “AnD NoW BrInG BaCk [nostalgic theme only AFOLs care about]”. I think time distances this short have yet to be named by physicists  :tongue:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

Imma be real upset if Series 2 doesn’t happen! Please someone get a lifeboat! Save the Vampire and Dragon! Maybe the Gummy Bear. Everyone else, fend for yourself. :grin:

But seriously, the worst thing about S2 being potentially canceled is that we’ve already seen it and can never un-see it. :sadnew: