Robert8

VIDIYO - Universal Music 2021

To be fair it wasn’t just those sets, but yeah, obviously not looking promising after just 3 weeks on the shelves!

The sets are quite good on their own, I just think the concept is not great, and looking at the boxes, unclear for a general purchaser to understand what it does I think.

In Germany - the few times I saw stores (online as well) still have the minifig packs - its all 50% off, including the new ones.

Sets I only saw on one site and they're one sale 20-50%.

It feels like this was a bad experiment..

The whole premise was supposed to be kid created Lego character music video content. The licensing costs is about the music library, and then there's the cost of moderators for the content. That is if the app will work with your phone. That makes the sets themselves overpriced for the parts value. Higher than average costs plus difficulty in use equals weak theme.

The whole augmented reality system doesn't really mesh with building play in any event. That's one of the reasons why Lego Super Mario is doing so much better with young kids (though that recent video was ridiculous).

The stage sets figs and sets don't seem bad to me, just a bit expensive in terms of volume.

I'm not a fan of Blind bags , or the beat boxes, if there were Vidyo themed "People Packs" I'd be way more interested in those figs.

If there ends up big dicount, I'll seriously consider the larger Stage sets for parts/figs,  just not at their full €70 / €100.

Boom Box actually has a lot of regular bricks/plates in black, and all the stages generally have lots of tiles as well.

Still hoping for a Castle Stage to fit those Dragon type figs, or for the Zombies/Werewolfs.

Edited by TeriXeri

What is left to release? Only the Bandmates s2?

I wonder if how bad are the sales of this theme. I hope Bandmates s2 wont be cancelled or something

On 6/23/2021 at 7:21 PM, Robert8 said:

What is left to release? Only the Bandmates s2?

I wonder if how bad are the sales of this theme. I hope Bandmates s2 wont be cancelled or something

they’ve already made them all surely they won’t cancel it 

On 6/23/2021 at 3:35 AM, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

In Germany - the few times I saw stores (online as well) still have the minifig packs - its all 50% off, including the new ones.

Sets I only saw on one site and they're one sale 20-50%.

It feels like this was a bad experiment..

Man, I would love to see a 50% sale...I hate myself for paying full price for the Hip Hop Robot Beatbox. I bought him in anticipation for the car which I plan on buying sooner than later. Those Beatboxes are ridiculously overpriced. And it sucks because there’s some great minifigs there. 

Local retail store here in Australia has put the first wave of the clear boxes and the first wave of blind boxes on clearance (~60% off on the clear boxes and 50% off on the blind boxes). Grabbed the Pirate and Mermaid beat boxes (at that price its worth it just for parts) and then grabbed what looked to be a full row of the blind boxes. Ended up with 2 extra cowboys and 1 extra rabbit instead of the cheerleader, ninja guy and ghost. Wouldn't mind the cheerleader and maybe the ninja guy but its not worth continuing to spend money (no matter how cheap they get) on the random chance that I end up with the ones I don't have (and the asking price on BL for those figs is too high for the parts I want from them)

8 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

So, has there been any word on the release of Bandmates Series 2? I really want a couple of them. 

October 1st

Hey folks!

I am just curious to hear your opinion - what do you think of these anthropomorphic minifigures (Shark Singer, DJ Cheetah, Bunny Dancer, Red Panama Dancer, Party Llama, and more)? 

Are they looking weird to you or what? Or do you like them more than Animal Costumes form CMF? 

Just curious to hear. :) 

7 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Hey folks!

I am just curious to hear your opinion - what do you think of these anthropomorphic minifigures (Shark Singer, DJ Cheetah, Bunny Dancer, Red Panama Dancer, Party Llama, and more)? 

Are they looking weird to you or what? Or do you like them more than Animal Costumes form CMF? 

I think they are better then Costumes, especially the Shark and Octopus figs actually would fit in fantasy Pirates / Aquasharks type of themes.

The Candy/Teddy Bear figures and bright colored animals fit more in an "alice of wonderland" type setting, and the werewolf/demon/dragon more in a castlevania/dark woods fantasy setting.

Overall, very wide selection of figures for sure, but I'll stick to the way that I prefer regular sets instead of the CMF/Boombox type of distrubution.

I still do hope more Stage sets in 2022, and that they sell well enough to continue them with like a Frankenstein Castle stage, a Faerie/Genie Stage, and maybe a South American type of stage based on figures.

Edited by TeriXeri

22 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I think they are better then Costumes, especially the Shark and Octopus figs actually would fit in fantasy Pirates / Aquasharks type of themes.

The Candy/Teddy Bear figures and bright colored animals fit more in an "alice of wonderland" type setting, and the werewolf/demon/dragon more in a castlevania/dark woods fantasy setting.

Overall, very wide selection of figures for sure, but I'll stick to the way that I prefer regular sets instead of the CMF/Boombox type of distrubution.

I still do hope more Stage sets in 2022, and that they sell well enough to continue them with like a Frankenstein Castle stage, a Faerie/Genie Stage, and maybe a South American type of stage based on figures.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! 

I never collected China sets or minifigures before and I took a look at Vidiyo animal figures. I just thought their head molds are weird but, later, they start to grow on me a bit. So I will pick a few. Additionally, I’m interested in anchor- and axe-shaped guitars - I would think it’s cool to see a guitar battle between lumberjack and fisherman!

So yeah, I agree with you on “fantasy Pirate” and “Alice of Wonderland” vibes. I could imagine normal minifigure being sucked into other world where animals can talk and walk on twos. 

On 7/6/2021 at 4:23 PM, DBlegonerd7 said:

Hey folks!

I don't mind them, they're reminiscent of Fabuland figures. I could definitely see myself using the shark or werewolf heads in Ninjago MOCs.

On 7/8/2021 at 8:28 AM, K_Tiger said:

I don't mind them, they're reminiscent of Fabuland figures. I could definitely see myself using the shark or werewolf heads in Ninjago MOCs.

I like your idea of these figures as Fabuland figures! I don’t do MOC myself but I could use these figures for my lego photography. 

On 6/26/2021 at 8:26 PM, Lego-fire said:

they’ve already made them all surely they won’t cancel it 

Sets go into production 3 months before release so 1st July (ish) is when LEGO started manufacturing them. 1 month of sales data is all LEGO had so I don’t believe it’s enough to cancel series 2. BTW just because they’re fully designed doesn’t mean they’re in production.

Well, my local supermarket has all the new VIDIYO sets on sale at 50% - thats very soon after release.

I bought the car and the pirate ship, but after building them, I must say, that I am not impressed.

15 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Sets go into production 3 months before release so 1st July (ish) is when LEGO started manufacturing them. 1 month of sales data is all LEGO had so I don’t believe it’s enough to cancel series 2. BTW just because they’re fully designed doesn’t mean they’re in production.

Even for sets that are not yet "in production", cancelling an already announced product is fairly rare for Lego (though not unheard of), and especially for something like a minifigure series that relies on a decent number of new molds, the substantial pre-production costs (including designing, engineering, and fabricating molds) would have already been committed. Even if the Vidiyo series is going to be more of a flash in the pan it's still likely cheaper for Lego to release the currently revealed sets as planned.

And I would like to emphasize that the clearance pricing and discounts some people here are seeing are definitely not the global picture for the theme. I wouldn't necessarily be unhappy if they were! I like the Vidiyo figures and sets somewhat but have no major emotional connection to the theme so wouldn't be that broken up about it ending, especially if it meant I could get the current sets at a bargain price. But where I am in the U.S., I have yet to see major discounts on even the expensive Beatboxes, and the cheaper Bandmates seem to have sold out in a lot of places I've visited. So whether or not it means the theme will continue beyond this year, it's pretty clear that at least here, retailers aren't giving up on it quite yet. And as a spring release there's no telling whether or not the theme could get at least a small boost this holiday season, especially since the smaller sets could make for good stocking stuffers despite the price.

To add to what @Lyichir said there are no deals here in canada either. The second wave of sets isn’t out yet. We got a quick Amazon deal on the Bandmates series one but that’s it for all I know. I love the VIDIYO theme.

But I do have to admit that I do not use the app. I tried it 2-3 times. Worked well without a problem but I have a brand new generation phone. Sometimes I browse the VIDIYO app to see what people post and I mostly see very uninteresting 2-3 second videos with no action whatsoever. 

Sadly I think that augmented reality is not something that is ready yet. I mean I feels really 3D television to me. Never really picked up and got phased out.

Bottom line : I feel that this theme lacks a story. I get that this theme was not made like a regular theme and was really just for the sake of the app. I feel that the same minifigures with a story, could have been the modern Fabuland. 

While those arguments are really sound, it is very weird that they revealed Bandmates S2 a half year before the release date. 

Compared with the CMFs. They are revealed a month before the release (if so)

One has to wonder if they wanted to see the reaction. I wouldn't be the first time they cancelled a set, after being revealed. It just happened a few months ago with the Crooks Hideout set from City

7 hours ago, Lyichir said:

And I would like to emphasize that the clearance pricing and discounts some people here are seeing are definitely not the global picture for the theme. I wouldn't necessarily be unhappy if they were! I like the Vidiyo figures and sets somewhat but have no major emotional connection to the theme so wouldn't be that broken up about it ending, especially if it meant I could get the current sets at a bargain price. But where I am in the U.S., I have yet to see major discounts on even the expensive Beatboxes, and the cheaper Bandmates seem to have sold out in a lot of places I've visited. So whether or not it means the theme will continue beyond this year, it's pretty clear that at least here, retailers aren't giving up on it quite yet. And as a spring release there's no telling whether or not the theme could get at least a small boost this holiday season, especially since the smaller sets could make for good stocking stuffers despite the price.

5 hours ago, Megbricks said:

To add to what @Lyichir said there are no deals here in canada either. The second wave of sets isn’t out yet. We got a quick Amazon deal on the Bandmates series one but that’s it for all I know. I love the VIDIYO theme.

The UK has mad discounts on the sets. Walked into Smyths Toy store and most beatboxes were 50% off and the new summer sets for Vidiyo are 25% off.

Not too dissimilar on Amazon either.

4 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

The UK has mad discounts on the sets. Walked into Smyths Toy store and most beatboxes were 50% off and the new summer sets for Vidiyo are 25% off.

I don’t know if it’s just VIDIYO though, because in Sainsbury’s (U.K. supermarket) the other day I saw new Harry Potter sets from June (Fawkes + polyjuice potion) 33% off on clearance. There were marvel sets there as well. As HP and marvel are usually super popular…:shrug_oh_well:

Edited by Lego-fire

4 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

That is crazy good deal