Robert8

VIDIYO - Universal Music 2021

I really want to get into it, specifically for the monster metal side... But alongside the over pricing, and blind boxes (only seen them in the actual lego store... No way I'm sitting there pulling sticky tabs open in the actual lego stores!) puts me off... 

I have a set of digital scales... If I can get the banshee, I'll crack on... Anyone have the weight for this one? 

*edit

Just seen on BrickLink the weight is listed as 26.4grams... (same as werewolf unfortunately) 

Is that inclusive of the box and any paper contents or just the plastic figure/items itself? 

Edited by Fuppylodders

10 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

I really want to get into it, specifically for the monster metal side... But alongside the over pricing, and blind boxes (only seen them in the actual lego store... No way I'm sitting there pulling sticky tabs open in the actual lego stores!) puts me off... 

I have a set of digital scales... If I can get the banshee, I'll crack on... Anyone have the weight for this one? 

*edit

Just seen on BrickLink the weight is listed as 26.4grams... (same as werewolf unfortunately) 

Is that inclusive of the box and any paper contents or just the plastic figure/items itself? 

Hard to say.  My weights with an unopened box are on either side of that for the three I've weighed (see a few pages back, I keep adding weights to my original post).  I have the cheerleader, shark, and alien rocker now.

Found a new box and thought I'd try to get the werewolf, banshee, and genie.  The box order is exactly backward from what has been reported and I wound up with shark guy and other junk I didn't want.  I did put the weights into my post a couple of pages back for anyone that is keeping track.

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to present my collected data.  It's really disappointing, since it looks like the variation in the boxes.  I wound up buying more of these than I wanted just to get an idea of the statistics since we could be seeing more boxed figures in the future.  The outlook is not good in that, unlike the foil bags in which you could more easily predict what you were getting by weight, these don't look very predictive and have too much weight overlap due to variation in the packaging.  The genie, alien, and cowboy are all within error of one another, as are the bunny, werewolf, and banshee.

The instructions were fairly consistent, but the boxes left something to be desired.  With a 0.73g range, it covers a large part of the weight range, and total standard deviation based on additive error of the boxes, polybags, and instructions is 0.21g, meaning that for a 95% confidence interval, each average weight for a boxed figure, not including variation in figure weights (which is admittedly small unless pieces are missing) is ± 0.42g. For instance, if you wanted to be 95% sure you got the werewolf (27.30g average), you'd have to buy every box between 26.88 and 27.72g, which means you'd potentially get the Samurai, Cheetah, Bunny, Banshee, Cheerleader, and the Fox/Panda.  Not a great predictor of outcome.

Data on each is presented below in the format:

Character - Average weight ± standard deviation (if able to be calculated) / range of weights from min to max

Werewolf 27.30 ± 0.18g / 27.14-27.50g
Fox/panda 27.89 / 27.84-27.94g
Cowboy 26.06g
Cheetah 26.80g / 26.78-26.81g
Samurai 26.64g / 26.61-26.67g
Shark 28.28 ± 0.11g / 28.17-28.39g
Banshee 27.50g
Cheerleader 27.87g / 27.81-27.93g
Genie 25.93g
Alien 26.10g / 25.99-26.20g
Bunny 26.97g / 26.89-27.05g
Ice cream 26.28g / 26.21-26.34g

Boxes: 12.34 ± 0.20g / 12.00-12.73g
Instructions: 3.80 ± 0.04g / 3.70-3.86g
Polybags: 0.92 ± 0.04g / 0.85-0.96g

Conclusion: Let's hope for foil packs, and if they go to boxes, buy a case to get what you want.

Side note: the bunny rabbit came fully assembled in one of the two unsealed bags I got.

Edit: One of my fox figures was way off because it was missing the 2x6 plate, so I removed that one from the statistics.

Edited by Grover

I know this has been discussed earlier, but I hadn't looked into this theme before now.

So far 5 of the Wave 1 Beatboxes got similar themed stages in wave 2.

I wonder if that would mean, if there's a wave 3 , that there could be a Metal Dragon and Folk Fairy stage.

43102 : Candy Mermaid BeatBox -> 43111 : Candy Castle Stage
43103 : Punk Pirate BeatBox -> 43114 : Punk Pirate Ship
43104: Alien DJ BeatBox -> 43115: The Boombox
43106 : Unicorn DJ BeatBox -> 43113 : K-Pawp Concert
43107 : HipHop Robot BeatBox -> 43112 : Robo HipHop Car

Stage sets are a much better format compared to the beatboxes for sure.

Personally hoping that Monster/Metal/Dragon Stage could be Castle themed , and could be pretty awesome when done right.

Or a Fairy Forest type stage since they got less figures currently.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

I know this has been discussed earlier, but I hadn't looked into this theme before now.

So far 5 of the Wave 1 Beatboxes got similar themed stages in wave 2.

I wonder if that would mean, if there's a wave 3 , that there could be a Metal Dragon and Folk Fairy stage.

43102 : Candy Mermaid BeatBox -> 43111 : Candy Castle Stage
43103 : Punk Pirate BeatBox -> 43114 : Punk Pirate Ship
43104: Alien DJ BeatBox -> 43115: The Boombox
43106 : Unicorn DJ BeatBox -> 43113 : K-Pawp Concert
43107 : HipHop Robot BeatBox -> 43112 : Robo HipHop Car

Stage sets are a much better format compared to the beatboxes for sure.

Personally hoping that Monster/Metal/Dragon Stage could be Castle themed , and could be pretty awesome when done right.

Or a Fairy Forest type stage since they got less figures currently.

Yeah, so far the genres that haven't gotten stages include:

• Tropicon
  • Monster Metal
  • Fantasy Folk
  • ETDM (Extra-Terrestrial Dance Music)
  • Genre Containing Discowboy and S2 Cowgirl, unsure whether it has an official name revealed yet
  • Genre Containing Red Panda Dancer, Samurapper, and S2 Mermaid (among others), unsure whether it has an official name revealed yet

Of these, the first four are technically represented in the Boombox stage, though obviously it'd be great to get a more "themed" stage dedicated to each of them. The latter two haven't even been named yet as far as I'm aware so it'd be great to get more representatives for them and potentially their own stage as well.

There's a lot of options for the sorts of stages they could go for. Tropicon could probably have a beach party vibe, Monster Metal could do well with a castle or graveyard aesthetic (as you mention), Fantasy Folk would probably do well with some sort of woodland aesthetic, and ETDM could go all sorts of directions (maybe something that blends the ideas of a flying saucer with a set of DJ turntables?)

I hope if there is a third wave that they might consider giving us some male sprites and merfolk ... They might find a good re-use for the satyr legs as well for a character or two ...

New sets spotted in New Zealand last night. Scanned up the big set with 4 minifigs... an eye watering $144NZD. I don't think I will carry on the collection, just Bricklink what I want instead.

I tried the Vidiyo app with my daughter today. I have to say, it made me feel young again. It has 2005 levels of clunky, slow loading, and bugginess. I appreciate that LEGO is supposed to be timeless, but I was underwhelmed by the experience. I'm using a Pixel 4a. Not a flagship phone, but decent, and less than a year old. One of the best cameras you can find on a smartphone, and yet it consistently failed to recognize either the character or a beatbit. We changed positions, lighting, figures. Still unreliable.

Such a shame.

52 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

I have to say, it made me feel young again. It has 2005 levels of clunky, slow loading, and bugginess. I appreciate that LEGO is supposed to be timeless, but I was underwhelmed by the experience.

🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, sunhuntin said:

New sets spotted in New Zealand last night. Scanned up the big set with 4 minifigs... an eye watering $144NZD. I don't think I will carry on the collection, just Bricklink what I want instead.

Don't worry, it will be 20%~40% off soon in the next round of clearance.

On 5/21/2021 at 12:26 PM, Lyichir said:

• Genre Containing Discowboy and S2 Cowgirl, unsure whether it has an official name revealed yet
  • Genre Containing Red Panda Dancer, Samurapper, and S2 Mermaid (among others), unsure whether it has an official name revealed yet

The app lists these as "Discowboy" and "Samurap", respectively. 

13 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

The app lists these as "Discowboy" and "Samurap", respectively. 

Thank you! I'd seen that on a wiki but it wasn't sourced so I wasn't sure if that was official or just an assumption based on the first characters to represent those genres.

28 minutes ago, thekeeperofthereaper said:

so im looking forward to getting the k pawp concert set but im wondering are the instructions included or do you have to go online like lego mario to build the set

I'm assuming instructions are included since the smaller Vidiyo sets all include instructions and none of the reviews I've seen of the stage sets so far have mentioned otherwise.

Purchased a few of the Beatboxes at 60% off. At that price point I'm happy with what I got. The Minifigures and printed tiles are really nice. Beyond that there's still a good amount of useful smaller pieces. Love all these colors like teal, aqua and coral. Don't see many possibilities for reusing some of the big LEGO pieces comprising the box though.

Being able to get these at 60% off just a few months after release makes me wonder about the future of LEGO Vidiyo. Is this theme selling so badly? Or is it just the initial wave being extremely overpriced, especially considering the fact that you obviously can use the app without having the physical product in hand? Maybe the second wave will be able to do better.

20 minutes ago, Dazz said:

Purchased a few of the Beatboxes at 60% off. At that price point I'm happy with what I got. The Minifigures and printed tiles are really nice. Beyond that there's still a good amount of useful smaller pieces. Love all these colors like teal, aqua and coral. Don't see many possibilities for reusing some of the big LEGO pieces comprising the box though.

Being able to get these at 60% off just a few months after release makes me wonder about the future of LEGO Vidiyo. Is this theme selling so badly? Or is it just the initial wave being extremely overpriced, especially considering the fact that you obviously can use the app without having the physical product in hand? Maybe the second wave will be able to do better.

It seems like if anything, its sales are varying heavily by region... I haven't been lucky enough to see any discounts that substantial in the U.S., at least. And the smaller bandmate sets seem to be selling reasonably well, if the number of stores I've visited that are out of them are any indication. It's too early to see what impact the stage sets will have, but if the sentiment about them online is any indication they seem like they might do pretty well.

I wouldn't call that level of variance a resounding success by any stretch of the imagination, but it's probably too early to say what that means for the future of the theme overall. Lego could probably get at least another year out of it by emphasizing the parts that have been working and scaling back the ones that haven't.

7 hours ago, Lyichir said:

It seems like if anything, its sales are varying heavily by region... I haven't been lucky enough to see any discounts that substantial in the U.S., at least. And the smaller bandmate sets seem to be selling reasonably well, if the number of stores I've visited that are out of them are any indication. It's too early to see what impact the stage sets will have, but if the sentiment about them online is any indication they seem like they might do pretty well.

I wouldn't call that level of variance a resounding success by any stretch of the imagination, but it's probably too early to say what that means for the future of the theme overall. Lego could probably get at least another year out of it by emphasizing the parts that have been working and scaling back the ones that haven't.

As I actually like the overall Vidiyo theme I hope you're right and that it's just a regional thing. Would be nice to see some more sets being released next year. It's just that I cannot remember any other theme having these steep discounts, especially this early in its life.

On 5/23/2021 at 4:06 PM, BrickFit26 said:

My Wal-Mart is over stocked with them. I wonder if they'll go on sale soon.

I keep seeing a bunch of wave 1 at Target as well. I’m really hoping they go on sale, because there’s some I really want. It there’s no way I’m paying $20 for them. 

Picked up Punk Pirate ship today, was a bit confused by it only having 17 beatbits (when beatboxes for 17.99 have 16 beatbits!) but it’s a very nice set. Managed to get 6 more unique beatbits. 

On 6/5/2021 at 12:34 PM, Vindicare said:

I keep seeing a bunch of wave 1 at Target as well. I’m really hoping they go on sale, because there’s some I really want. It there’s no way I’m paying $20 for them. 

I hope they do. I want those beat boxes.

Bought set 43112 Robo HipHop Car today, and has just assembled it. 

It is - I dont really have any words for it - weird. 

There has been party busses in both Lego Movie and Friends series, so LEGO is supposed to be experienced in doing this kind of models. 

But this set? Its one third car, one third Brickheadz, one third music scene. Looking at it, it is just confusing, nothing else. 

I must admit, that I dont have the app (didnt run properly on Android), so I dont know what it is supposed to do. 

But the good thing is, that there are lots of bricks, and two half-decent minifigs. 

I am pretty sure, that this will be my only buy from series 2 - unless there eventually will be a big discount in my local supermarket.