Robert8

VIDIYO - Universal Music 2021

There really is a simple way to see what minifigs are in the box. No need to rip them open. When I first saw them I didn't like them but its not that hard to get what you want.

2 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

There really is a simple way to see what minifigs are in the box. No need to rip them open. When I first saw them I didn't like them but its not that hard to get what you want.

I found a new box a while back and took the ones i wanted because how they are sorted. Now after seeing wave two i want a few more, so i’d like to know how you can find out what is in the little boxes without having a full unopened box of figures

15 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

And that is...?

It would have been nice to get some more ambitious recolors from the animal heads. Something like a fox or raccoon would have been nice.

Each box has a piece of tape that can easily be detached and the flap of the box just opens up and you get to see what's inside. The flap goes back in and the tape easily sticks back once you see what's inside. There is no need to tear anything open.  Much easier than taking a long time feeling bags. :wink:

@Borex @Grover @Robert8 hope that helps. :thumbup:

Edited by BrickFit26

So I looked into how the music genres are distributed and here's what I found:

Discowboy- 2 (Discowboy and Discowgirl Guitarist, no set)

Samurap- 3 (Samurapper, Red Panda Dancer and Karaoke Mermaid, no set)

Pirate Punk- 6 (Punk Pirate, Shark Singer, Squid Drummer, Shark Guitarist, Mermaid Violinist, DJ Captain, stage set) 

K-Pawp- 6 (Unicorn DJ, Bunny Dancer, Bunny Guitarist, Kitten Keytarist, Flying Unicorn Singer, Puppy Singer, stage set)

Robo Hiphop- 4 (Robo Hiphopper, DJ Beatbox, Sing Bot and Bass Bot, stage set)

Tropicon- 4  (Party Llama, DJ Cheetah, Jaguar Guitarist, Carnival Dancer, boombox used for stage)

Candy Pop- 6 (Candy Mermaid, Ice Cream Saxophonist, Cotton Candy Cheerleader, Ballerina, Blue Gummibear, Red Gummibear, stage set)

ETDM- 5 (Alien DJ, Alien Keytarist, Alien Singer, Slime Singer, Alien Dancer, no boombox used for stage)

Fairy Folk- 4 (Genie Dancer, Dragon Guitarist, Fairy Violinist, Fairy Singer, boombox used for stage)

Monster Metal- 6 (Banshee Singer, Werewolf Drummer, Zombie Dancer, Vampire Guitarist, Vampire Bassist, Dragon Singer, boombox used for stage)

I have a feeling the maximum for each genre will be 6 and a single stage, but I'd like to be proven wrong. But in the future we're missing stages for:

Discowboy, Samurap, ETDM, Fairy Folk and Monster Metal

Edited by doclord

13 minutes ago, doclord said:

Pirate Punk- 6 (Punk Pirate, Shark Singer, Squid Drummer, Shark Guitarist, Mermaid Violinist, DJ Captain, stage set) 

K-Pawp- 6 (Unicorn DJ, Bunny Dancer, Bunny Guitarist, Kitten Keytarist, Flying Unicorn Singer, Puppy Singer, stage set)

Tropicon- 4  (Party Llama, DJ Cheetah, Jaguar Guitarist, Carnival Dancer, stage set? boombox seems to be the tropical one)

Candy Pop- 6 (Candy Mermaid, Ice Cream Saxophonist, Cotton Candy Cheerleader, Ballerina, Blue Gummibear, Red Gummibear, stage set)

ETDM- 5 (Alien DJ, Alien Keytarist, Alien Singer, Slime Singer, Alien Dancer, no stage)

Fairy Folk- 4 (Genie Dancer, Dragon Guitarist, Fairy Violinist, Fairy Singer, no stage)

Monster Metal- 5 (Banshee Singer, Werewolf Drummer, Vampire Guitarist, Vampire Bassist, Dragon Singer, no stage)

I have a feeling the maximum for each genre will be 6 and a single stage, but I'd like to be proven wrong. But in the future we're missing stages for:

Nice list. Two missing in action: Zombie Dancer and a stage for Tropicon.

As for each genre being limited to 6, I wouldn't think so. That would mean if we get sets in 2022 there wouldn't be any new figs for Candy Pop, K-Pawp, Monster Metal or Pirate Punk, and I just can't see that happening.

I really want to see more figs for the Discowboy genre. Figures like a Rodeo Clown Dancer, Horse Fiddler, Bull Drummer, Cow Keytarist, Coyote DJ, etc.

17 minutes ago, The Brick Rat said:

Nice list. Two missing in action: Zombie Dancer and a stage for Tropicon.

As for each genre being limited to 6, I wouldn't think so. That would mean if we get sets in 2022 there wouldn't be any new figs for Candy Pop, K-Pawp, Monster Metal or Pirate Punk, and I just can't see that happening.

I really want to see more figs for the Discowboy genre. Figures like a Rodeo Clown Dancer, Horse Fiddler, Bull Drummer, Cow Keytarist, Coyote DJ, etc.

Thanks for reminding me about the Zombie Dancer. 

For the boombox I don't think it's exclusively tropicon though, boom box has settings for Tropicon, ETDM, Monsters and Fairy Folk (to go with the four genres it comes with). It's a cool set but I hope it doesn't mean we won't get real stages later on.

1 hour ago, doclord said:

Tropicon- 4  (Party Llama, DJ Cheetah, Jaguar Guitarist, Carnival Dancer, boombox used for stage)

ETDM- 5 (Alien DJ, Alien Keytarist, Alien Singer, Slime Singer, Alien Dancer, no boombox used for stage)

Fairy Folk- 4 (Genie Dancer, Dragon Guitarist, Fairy Violinist, Fairy Singer, boombox used for stage)

Monster Metal- 6 (Banshee Singer, Werewolf Drummer, Zombie Dancer, Vampire Guitarist, Vampire Bassist, Dragon Singer, boombox used for stage)

Great breakdown! I was doing this sorting them on a 32x32 but appreciate you including the new sets 

5 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

Each box has a piece of tape that can easily be detached and the flap of the box just opens up and you get to see what's inside. The flap goes back in and the tape easily sticks back once you see what's inside. There is no need to tear anything open.  Much easier than taking a long time feeling bags. :wink:

Every store near me would likely frown on "breaking the seal" of product you didn't buy.  Some of them would flat out prosecute you for "attempted shoplifting".  Either way that is not really a legitimate way of determining the contents.

For me the boxes being "true blind purchases" makes them over priced by at least double.

Who hasn't seen a box at a walmart or target or any other store where a piece of simple tape hasn't been removed to see the contents of what's inside or feel the contents? But I see your point.

10 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

@Borex  hope that helps. :thumbup:

Yes, it does. Thanks. And while it maybe isn’t completely decent to do, i can understand that you want to see what you are paying for. So thanks for sharing

18 hours ago, Lord Insanity said:

Some of them would flat out prosecute you for "attempted shoplifting"

What kind of fascist hellhole even has the police turn up for someone opening a $4 packet?

I may be late to the party but lego made a 1x5 plate in the vidyo boombox set, it is in white and has 5 studs unlike the 1x5 round plate with center axle hole.

I cant post videos yet because it would be a leaked image (I think)

On 4/28/2021 at 8:57 PM, Grover said:

I have weights on two of them a page back.

Thanks! Anyone have the weight of the Ice Cream guy? 

On 4/29/2021 at 1:39 PM, BrickFit26 said:

@Borex @Grover @Robert8 hope that helps. :thumbup:

Thanks!  Usually around here if you start opening boxes you have to pay for it or they will charge you with vandalism or damaging merchandise, so I will just try and get some weights!  Obviously, with the number of torn open boxes, some people are willing to take that chance however!

Edited by Grover

Picked up a Party Llama Beatbox on clearance for $8 (AUD) at my local grocery store. That price was low enough to have me interested. Still mind boggling that they priced these at $20 USD and full Australian RRP of $26.

3 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Picked up a Party Llama Beatbox on clearance for $8 (AUD) at my local grocery store. That price was low enough to have me interested. Still mind boggling that they priced these at $20 USD and full Australian RRP of $26.

Which store was that? And did they have any others at that price? (that price would be good for the Punk Pirate)

6 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

The UK price (RRP) is £17.99, which converts as $25 USD and over $32 AUD! No wonder most stores except LEGO themselves slashed them to about £12 on release.

23 hours ago, jonwil said:

Which store was that? And did they have any others at that price? (that price would be good for the Punk Pirate)

It was a Coles. I'd noticed a few weeks ago that this Coles got a whole LEGO stand with a bunch of polybags (nothing too interesting - City, Creator, Dots) as well as VIDIYO stuff. Yesterday they'd moved the whole stand with what was left to their clearance section - polybags ~$3, VIDIYO Beat Boxes ~$8. They only had the Llama and Horse Girl left though.

Will have to see what I can find at the various Coles stores I can get to in hopes there is one that has something worth buying (the pirate, the mermaid or maybe some of the blind-box figs)

I’ve got to say, I’m really looking forward to this upcoming wave of sets!

The stage sets are really great for displaying all the bandmates of a particular genre, or multiple in the case of the boombox, and I really like how each has their own backstage element for the performers to relax before and after the show. If this theme continues past this year, I hope to get a stage set for each musical genre. ETDM, Tropicon, Fantasy Folk, Monster Metal, Samurap, and Discowboy all have their potential untapped.

The beatbox characters, Folk Fairy and Metal Dragon, are probably going to be my favorite beatbox characters. With the dragon, Monster Metal deviates a bit from Halloween monsters to include a broader variety than I was expecting, which is welcome.

Moving onto the other minifigures, in both the larger sets and Bandmates Series 2, I see a lot to love here. My favorites have to be the vampires, gummy bears, Slime Singer, DJ Beatbox, Carnivale Dancer, and Dragon Guitarist. In particular, the gummy bears are a bit unexpected but fit the Candy Pop genre amazingly well. I like how the Dragon Guitarist is clearly Fantasy Folk, and contrasts the Monster Metal Dragon Singer. They’re a good example of using the same molds for two separate genres. The hair on the Vampire Bassist is another one. Also love that axe guitar!

If I had one nitpick, I’d wish there was a bit more variety in the musical accessories. It could just be me being used to CMF level of accesorization, but I would hope for more instrument varieties than guitars in a musical-based LEGO theme. While we did get a saxophone, keytar (with the keys in the right position thankfully), maracas, and tambourine with the first wave, this second wave only gave us a violin, and it’s the same one from the recent CMF Series 21. The wands as drumsticks are pretty good actually, if a bit thin, but 3L bars are definitely too thick. I was kind of hoping for a brand new mold that is a happy medium. New instruments would be my second hope for future waves, along with giving us a stage for each genre, though at this rate we would likely see the instruments show up in a CMF series before it makes it to VIDIYO. That being said, I’d still hope for instruments like a cello, harp, or larger string instrument, an accordion, a marimba, and maybe a trumpet or another brass instrument...

Needless to say, this is itching my fix for minifigures in between collectible series, and I’m excited to see what else will come from this theme. 

Edited by telaruhn