Robert8

VIDIYO - Universal Music 2021

I want that "axe" guitar, it looks so cool. (especially as a fan of both guitars and axes as weapons in video games)

Funny I had the exact same thoughts like the two comments above when I first saw the new sets.

I'll make so many Photo montages of Gimli rocking with the Axe guitar :'D

What’s so bad about the prices? Yes, the beatboxes are overpriced, but the standard sets are a pretty good value. My only complaint is the low figure counts, but given thier quality, I can forgive that. I love the look of the squid drummer, and I’m happy some of the blind box pieces have made their way into normal sets! Like someone else said, I feel like they should have released these first, rather than the beatboxes, because these have better value and actually look like LEGO sets. Now I’m actually considering getting one of these!

I cannot comprehend what the heck LEGO was thinking when they decided not to release any normal playsets in the first wave. By the time this wave hits the shelves, the line might as well be considered a failure, and result in the later wave stuff getting very limited release, like it happened with TLM2.

That said, those sets look kind weird, but the minifigures are great. The thing that excites me the most are all the new minifigure pieces, as well as the recolors of the wave 1 pieces. But even if not as expensive as the Beatboxes, those normal sets still seem kind of pricy for what they are. 

Overall, I might pick up some of those minifigure parts from Bricklink, but I don't have much interest in everything else. 

WOW The minifigures of this theme are just stunning

I find the Gummy Bear to be kind of odd, because he totally needed trans blue arms and torso

And it seems they didnt introduce any new musical instruments in this wave. Which is odd considering the theme

Hmm..these sets’ designs are really neat but the prices...man. 

But I like that axe-guitar piece. 

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

I cannot comprehend what the heck LEGO was thinking when they decided not to release any normal playsets in the first wave. By the time this wave hits the shelves, the line might as well be considered a failure, and result in the later wave stuff getting very limited release, like it happened with TLM2.

That said, those sets look kind weird, but the minifigures are great. The thing that excites me the most are all the new minifigure pieces, as well as the recolors of the wave 1 pieces. But even if not as expensive as the Beatboxes, those normal sets still seem kind of pricy for what they are. 

Overall, I might pick up some of those minifigure parts from Bricklink, but I don't have much interest in everything else. 

Yes. And I take my critical comment mostly back: I expected these sets also to be super expensive. But instead they have pretty good prices, compared to licenced stuff!

In this context I dont understand the overpriced 20 bucks sets..

Another decent wave with great parts! The sets look pretty good for the most part. Again, there’s a few Bandmates I’d like to get, but not many. I’m more interested in miniifig parts more than anything. 

Now this is more like it, actual sets! They look great, LEGO really dropped the ball by not having any of these in the first wave. Also, many of the new figures are excellent,  my favorite by far is the Metal Dragon, absolute must-have for me! Hopefully if the theme lasts into next year we'll get a Monster Metal stage, probably a castle with lava and black spikes if the art style for the genre is anything to go by. The Punk Pirate Ship with the Squid Drummer is also great.

I’m an outlier - adult with the whole first wave. I’m glad to see my “bet” paid off with a great second wave for me. I just feel like these are peak lego; wild designs of lighthearted themes in often garish colors. Just joyful to look at 

Well well well, why not bring in these sets in the first place. Strange move. These sets look incredibly fun, i maybe even buy me some sets. The second cmf series is also better. That green swamp man. Oof, what a great character. Too bad he doesn’t look scary, but i want him. 
The squid dude is also really cool. I hope they reuse that mould again for a serious minifig. Metaldragon is also a must have. 
Too bad they chose robots for hip hop. Robots are edm, not hip hop. I need a minifig with a kangol

3 hours ago, Umbrage82 said:

I’m an outlier - adult with the whole first wave. I’m glad to see my “bet” paid off with a great second wave for me. I just feel like these are peak lego; wild designs of lighthearted themes in often garish colors. Just joyful to look at 

I agree. Its euphoric seeing such outlandish designs with such amazing new moulds and prints. This series holds a high standard for both build and figure quality imo. Although I don’t really “get” the beatboxes.

Thoughts on the new leaks

43108 Bandmates Series 2 -> 

• Blue Dragon, Marceline Guitarist, and Slimer Dude are some of the best minifigures ever. Of all series. That slimy headpiece would work well for Clayface over at DC. Pink Gummy Bear man and BeatBox Head are amazing as well. Besides them only interested in the Kimono Mermaid so I won’t be collecting as great a portion as i did series 1. As opposed to skipping out on 3, I’m skipping out on half the set. But maybe I’ll pick up the Carnival Man, his reuse of the series 21 headpiece is stunning. Love the attention to detail

43109 Metal Dragon - love the figure, looks like the mould from the series 18 Dragon Suit Guy but fully enclosed and I was always hoping they’d make a mould like that so this is perfect. Love the wings.

43110 Folk Fairy - that figure is so good I lost sight of how little interest I have in the beatbox itself

43111 Candy Castle - wow this works amazing for the price. Sorta wish it was bigger just because it looks so good. Amazing how its pretty completed despite being such a small set ($30). Love the front and back looks like such a completed idea

43112 Robocar - a bit too much going on for me and the figures don’t stand out. Pass for me hut I imagine kids will love it

43113 K-Pawp Stage - stage looks amazing and the colors are great. Love the unicorn head build (all the animal head builds look good) but the large stage is enough for me trying  to save money and these figures are nothing special to me so a pass

43114 Punk Pirate Ship - love this so much. These sets rock. The new hair on that mermaid is so cool. The designs blend well here, I’m like wow I never knew I needed pirates that made music. I always had competing pirate clans but this is just such a smart concept I didn’t know I needed. It also appears to have 2 builds, ship and base similar to the Barracuda Bay build. Lovely but wish it was 10-20 dollars cheaper 

43115 Boom Box - God these figures are so good. Love how it looks as a boom box and love it as a stage. So worth it surprisingly love this set. 

tl;dr I’m only skipping 2 sets (Robo-Car and K-Pawp stage) and 6 cmf figures (maybe 5). These designs are so detailed and creative and the builds are so well thought out. I don’t care for the app this theme is amazing to me for the concepts and builds alone.

I want the K-Pawp stage and the Pirates Punk Ship. And i want some figs from series 1 too. Funny how that works because i wasn’t feeling this theme at all 🤣

Barely a page of replies here after today's reveal while the response on social media has been very positive

I know this is a very childlish theme and Eurobricks is meant to be for adults but danm this looks like a retirement home

The figs are really the highlight here.  The sets are good.  There are a lot of interesting pieces too.  Will try to pick up some of the figs or fig parts.  

32 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Barely a page of replies here after today's reveal while the response on social media has been very positive

I know this is a very childlish theme and Eurobricks is meant to be for adults but danm this looks like a retirement home

The response here has been mainly quite positive too from those interested enough to post, but it's clearly just not in the interest area of many Eurobricks users.

Our community is fairly segmented I'd say - lots of people are here just for building and not for discussing new product launches at all, while others are drawn in by an IP they particularly like. VIDIYO isn't an IP, most the minifigures could be considered too whacky to be used in what lots of AFOLs like to build (castle, city, even the more serious side of space) - it's no surprise there's not much discussion about them, not because people dislike them necessarily, but because people simply aren't interested in discussing them.

I was really impressed looking through the pictures today. Some of the sets are terrific, to match great figures. I have the five figures from wave 1 that I wanted, and I can definitely see getting some of the new releases. Especially the punk pirate ship. They still feel expensive though. If you compare to a Friends set, for the same size build, I would expect maybe a 20% lower price? But that's probably the cost of all the prints and new parts.

As many others have said, they definitely should have released some of these sets in the first wave. They make it so much more usable and interesting.

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I'm glad for those people who really do enjoy this theme...

You see, Singapore and Malaysia (and large majority of neighbouring countries here) don't even have this theme officially.... which is very odd. Now, we need to rely on grey market resellers and importers.

TLG not sharing any information about it, and just forgetting about an entire market really annoys me.

Not too excited about.... just because it's not available locally 

21 hours ago, Robert8 said:

For what it's worth I rarely frequent the licensed theme forum, so I only just remembered that this topic was here while I was checking out a new comment in the Super Mario thread. I can't help but wonder whether this topic would get more attention if it were in a forum like Special Themes instead—after all, while the music in the app is licensed it's not like the characters and settings are.

Anyway, I'm only casually into this theme but I do like the look of those stages, which seem to tap into the same design strengths of some of the Hidden Side sets when it comes to adding app interaction to to strong playset designs. I especially like that they're more than just facades—every one of the sets has at least something "backstage", in addition to the main performance area in the front.

Picked up a second bandmate today too (Discowboy, not my favorite, but at least it wasn't a repeat of the DJ Cheetah I got in my first pack). I still ought to stop putting off trying the app now that I have a beatbox and two bandmates.

On 4/27/2021 at 2:48 AM, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Im really curious about the sucess of these.

I just think its way too weird and without any existing connection to tap into the market so expensive.

People know Disney princesses or Marvel or whatever. But will they buy something even more expensive that may be a cool design but that has no backstory, no connection in existing culture?

I agree. A big selling point would have been to connect Vidiyo to existing pop culture would have been to tie them into some actual pop stars for a collab of some sort. Kind of like a Mask Singer reveal.  Maybe this second wave will do better because there are actual play sets this time.

Edited by BrickFit26

33 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I can't help but wonder whether this topic would get more attention if it were in a forum like Special Themes instead—after all, while the music in the app is licensed it's not like the characters and settings are.

Actually yes, we are going to move it to Special Themes shortly - I thought the same thing that it'd be a better fit over there.

We have the blind boxes at Walmart in the region, and all of the boxes have been ripped open.  I guess that people are not happy being unable to feel the minis.

Anyone have a “cheat” on how to figure out which figures are in the box? Weight, numbered, etc? 

19 minutes ago, froggy95 said:

Anyone have a “cheat” on how to figure out which figures are in the box? Weight, numbered, etc? 

I have weights on two of them a page back.