Robert8

VIDIYO - Universal Music 2021

I’m glad some people are having a positive interest in this theme. The digital implementation is pretty new for Lego.

On the other hand, it is a large tad bit confusing and mildly annoying that Lego’s research and development decided a dancing app would be a great theme.

Especially when they could improve the mini figures that they do already make. (Dual molding, arm and leg printing)

9 hours ago, HRC said:

On the other hand, it is a large tad bit confusing and mildly annoying that Lego’s research and development decided a dancing app would be a great theme.

Some kids like dancing around, especially those that don't like to sit quietly playing with LEGO. This is LEGO trying to get into the interactive toys market.

Ah, those figures have such excellent design! I was pleasantly surprised at the "reasonable" prices (as in, they won't break the bank and the Supermarkets will be dropping the prices decently). However I am very happy that they have made some super unique designs.

19 hours ago, HRC said:

Right? They've been trying and failing for years to get an Augmented Reality/phone-app related theme to take off. Or dumb Amiibo-like integration into video games. I don't think they'll ever pull it off.

They make good toys, and there are a ton of Lego video games. They have it pretty good; not sure why they insist on throwing away millions to crack into some market that probably doesn't exist. It'll probably keep happening until they fire high-up guy who keeps pushing the idea.

Now to wait for the responses that promise me that "Lego knows what they're doing" even though every similar attempt has been a dud.

On the bright side, this theme has awesome minifigs, which will drive sales even if nobody cares about the app. Printed tiles are cool, but none of them are prints of anything I can really use in MOCs, unless it's a MOC of a teenager's bedroom.

If done right, i can see the app having some success with kids. I mean i don’t get Tik Tok either, but even grown-ups use that app to make shitty videos with studied dances that kill all the joy of dancing in the first place. 
i just hope i can get the werewolf at some point for cheap

I downloaded the app last night and played with it a bit with the virtual bandmate just to see how it worked.

I still predict that if I give my niece a set or two for her birthday she'll love making videos - at least for a week or so before she gets bored with it, kind of like how my nephew loved the Hidden Side sets but stopped using the app pretty quickly.

Since there's no way to save or share the videos except through the app I probably won't be inundated with her creations like I was expecting to be and I can guarantee Grandma and Grandpa will never see them.

Still want a few of those minifigures though - probably mostly ordered through Bricklink since I can't be bothered with random blind boxes.

So Target Australia is making a big deal out of VIDIYO, and I found some interesting possibly-official names for the six ‘main’ characters;

https://www.target.com.au/lego-vidiyo

Pirate Punk and Robo Hip Hop are only slightly different to what I expected, but apparently the unicorn is named K-Pawp, the alien is ETDM, the mermaid is Candy Pop and the llama - despite his obvious resemblance to the tie-in artist L.L.A.M.A., is called Tropical Tochno. (I don’t know either . .)

Spoiler
Edited by Fenghuang0296
The spoiler’s bugged, ignore it.

32 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

So Target Australia is making a big deal out of VIDIYO, and I found some interesting possibly-official names for the six ‘main’ characters;

https://www.target.com.au/lego-vidiyo

Pirate Punk and Robo Hip Hop are only slightly different to what I expected, but apparently the unicorn is named K-Pawp, the alien is ETDM, the mermaid is Candy Pop and the llama - despite his obvious resemblance to the tie-in artist L.L.A.M.A., is called Tropical Tochno. (I don’t know either . .)

Hide contents

So those are the names of each music genre the characters fit into. For example, the Party Llama fits into the Tropicon genre while the Alien DJ is part of the ETDM and the Punk Pirate is in the Pirate Punk genre(admittedly this one is a tad more confusing lol). Most of the blind box bandmates fall into one of these genres like the Shark Singer is part of Pirate Punk but some of them belong to different genres that will likely be expanded on in the next wave of Vidiyo sets. For example the Werewolf Drummer and Banshee Singer appear belong to an as-yet-to-be-revealed heavy metal genre(something like Monster Metal perhaps?) And the Discowboy seems to belong to some sort of yet-to-be-revealed disco/country music genre(maybe something like Discountry?)

If you'd like more info, brickset did an excellent write up when the theme was officially revealed. :sweet:

https://brickset.com/article/57914/vidiyo-sets-officially-announced!

Edited by ToaDraco

8 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

So those are the names of each music genre the characters fit into. For example, the Party Llama fits into the Tropicon genre while the Alien DJ is part of the ETDM and the Punk Pirate is in the Pirate Punk genre(admittedly this one is a tad more confusing lol). Most of the blind box bandmates fall into one of these genres like the Shark Singer is part of Pirate Punk but some of them belong to different genres that will likely be expanded on in the next wave of Vidiyo sets. For example the Werewolf Drummer and Banshee Singer appear belong to an as-yet-to-be-revealed heavy metal genre(something like Monster Metal perhaps?) And the Discowboy seems to belong to some sort of yet-to-be-revealed disco/country music genre(maybe something like Discountry?)

If you'd like more info, brickset did an excellent write up when the theme was officially revealed. :sweet:

https://brickset.com/article/57914/vidiyo-sets-officially-announced!

Really? That’s what it’s for? I thought ETDM stood for . . Extra-Terrestrial Dance Master or something. But apparently it’s Electro-Trap Dance Music?

Still, cool!

Does anyone know if each bandmate gets a random set of 3 beatbits? Because if so, it’ll be basically impossible to collect all 92 beatbits. 

1 hour ago, Lego-fire said:

Does anyone know if each bandmate gets a random set of 3 beatbits? Because if so, it’ll be basically impossible to collect all 92 beatbits. 

I believe they each have one exclusive one and two random ones.

21 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

I believe they each have one exclusive one and two random ones.

Oh, right, thanks.

Essentially it’s almost impossible to get all the beatbits, then. The beatboxes have 2 special and 14 random. So if you get all the figs and all the boxes, you’ll have 24 exclusive beatbits, plus 108 random beatbits. Non-exclusive are 68 different beatbits, so every time you want a particular beatbit it’s like picking up  a couple of random CMF bags if CMF series had 68 figures (a 1.5% chance). 

And of course you have to pick up a random box of bandmates, which has an 8% chance of getting what you want. 

Edited by Lego-fire

> We AFOL do not want stickers! We want printed tiles!

Lego releases VIDIYO

> ... No not like that...

I wonder if there are really people who will try to collect them, without just buying them from bricklink

2 hours ago, Lira_Bricks said:

I wonder if there are really people who will try to collect them, without just buying them from bricklink

Considering how much I love the designs there is an alternate universe where I do buy these. If Lego last minute decided to add a code to identify the figures that would be amazing. I usually hate the $5 mark for a CMF but these new molds seem to justify it. All I need is a way to make sure I don’t get duplicates. I hope this is the last tome they ever do blind boxes. I don’t feel like wasting money getting duplicates trying to complete a series I have no connection to.

2 hours ago, Lira_Bricks said:

> We AFOL do not want stickers! We want printed tiles!

Lego releases VIDIYO

> ... No not like that...

How do the Vidiyo printed tiles fix the issue of other sets being covered in stickers?

55 minutes ago, danth said:

How do the Vidiyo printed tiles fix the issue of other sets being covered in stickers?

It was a joke ;) Hence the "... No not like that..."

6 hours ago, cosmic said:

Considering how much I love the designs there is an alternate universe where I do buy these. If Lego last minute decided to add a code to identify the figures that would be amazing. I usually hate the $5 mark for a CMF but these new molds seem to justify it. All I need is a way to make sure I don’t get duplicates. I hope this is the last tome they ever do blind boxes. I don’t feel like wasting money getting duplicates trying to complete a series I have no connection to.

It's almost a guarantee that Bandmates Series 2 will boxed (which releases in October apparently).

Edited by Anonknee Muss

3 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

It's almost a guarantee that Bandmates Series 2 will boxed (which releases in October apparently).

I saw an instagram post about the distribution for a full box. I’m confused because everyone in the comments was like, so this is how each figure in the box is lined up? Its basically each figure appears twice and they are side by side, with there being 24 in a box and its 2x12. If indeed every box has the same layout, I can get the figures i need by waiting for a new box to be put on display. My one concern is, are ‘t the distributions different for each box? Just because his box was in the particular order that was in, doesn’t mean every box is, correct? I hope every box has the same figure distribution so I can get the ones I want.

10 hours ago, cosmic said:

I saw an instagram post about the distribution for a full box. I’m confused because everyone in the comments was like, so this is how each figure in the box is lined up? Its basically each figure appears twice and they are side by side, with there being 24 in a box and its 2x12. If indeed every box has the same layout, I can get the figures i need by waiting for a new box to be put on display. My one concern is, are ‘t the distributions different for each box? Just because his box was in the particular order that was in, doesn’t mean every box is, correct? I hope every box has the same figure distribution so I can get the ones I want.

Absolutely correct, not confirmed every box will have the same distribution. The CMF Series 21 has two different box distributions and they aren’t region locked either but they are similar.

I’ve seen the posts on Instagram about the box layouts and even if this is true this is next to nothing useless info. The only time this is useful is when the big box is opened for the first time. Just think of all the people that would pick up an individual box look at it and put it back, they may not put it back in the same place. Or think of the shop worker who tidies the shelves and compresses all the boxes together to get rid of any gaps.

I still think the tiles are going to be a nightmare to collect, if someone wants to be a completionist as 2 of the 3 tiles in each blind box are random!

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

I’ve seen the posts on Instagram about the box layouts and even if this is true this is next to nothing useless info. The only time this is useful is when the big box is opened for the first time. Just think of all the people that would pick up an individual box look at it and put it back, they may not put it back in the same place. Or think of the shop worker who tidies the shelves and compresses all the boxes together to get rid of any gaps.

I still think the tiles are going to be a nightmare to collect, if someone wants to be a completionist as 2 of the 3 tiles in each blind box are random!

I think it’s harder to compress blind boxes as opposed to blind bags. There’s a chance the boxes will only fit 24 blind boxes and bc of their dimensions and texture will not fit packets from other boxes. As for collecting the tiles, seems like a minor thing to want to complete I’m more into the new figures and their molds as opposed to their tiles. I wouldn’t call the info useless however. I can go to a store early for a new box to be opened up and I have no issue studying the box layouts to try my shot at getting my desired figures. Also if what @Anonknee Muss is saying is true, and their could be a few other box layouts, thats still better than going in blind. For me at least, this info can help me avoid duplicates or figures I don’t want.

I hope, assuming there are other box layouts, Lego fans continue to release details about the distribution of their boxes so we see all the potential ways the figures are lined up. I hope, despite the order they may be put in from front to back, the figures second appearance continues to be right next to each other. In this way, according to the box on exabrickslegogo instagram page, both bunnies are next to each other, both genies were next to each other so on. Despite the figure order from front to back I hope they release all the duplicates side by side for each box, making it easier to skip duplicates . Also hope there’s no more than 3 box distributions being used.

Edited by cosmic

7 hours ago, Seasider said:

Right on.

Ellie V posted a review of Vidiyo and my kids were DELIGHTED by the theme.  I had a hunch they would like the idea.  The app looks like it has potential but it also seems like it has a lot of kinks to work out. I suppose one must wait until March 1 to fully judge its functionality. My kids don't really have devices of their own except for an OLD borrowed Ipad that I am certain will not support this app. That all said, the beat boxes still feel like they should be $15.  

It looks like on the blind boxes, there may be some identifying mark that will tell you who's inside. Picked one up today and saw the code 2R1 on the tape on the side of the box. All of the other boxes had different numbers, i.e. 3R1, 4R1 and one other box had the same number as the one I bought, 2R1. Anyway, if this holds up 2R1 is the wolfman. Here's a picture: 

https://imgur.com/a/qMVQ6Vm

Anybody else snag one yet and see the code?