Robert8

VIDIYO - Universal Music 2021

8 minutes ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Unless you are willing to invest in a small scale that measures to 0.01g of course.

Yes but keep in mind there are more pieces in these than Ninjago Spinners and these are technically licensed (license to Universal Music for the music only which is what the price tag is paying for) as well as the various new molds some of which are big and bulky.

Much better PPP in the summer though (not the 2 beatboxes admittedly).

By the way, I think the QR code is just to download the app.

I suppose you're right in some ways, but I still think they are overpriced. We've gotten CMFs with the same amount of specialized molds and details on par with these new figures, I accept that they will separately cost 5 dollars a pop. But 20 dollars for basically a CMF figure, a cube piece you can probably find in Dots sets, and some tiles that work with an app that's so basic in functionality..? I'm not sure that's worth the cost at all.

I'm still curious about the theme albeit extremely skeptical, do you have a link to information about the Summer wave?

8 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Anyone try out the app yet? It was functioning terribly for me. First up it prompts you to download an additional 300MB of content after the initial app install which isn't a big deal except that its incredibly slow, slower than downloading gigabytes of patches elsewhere on the same internet connection. Also the loading of the app and every area takes forever, longer than loading a Fallout 4 save on a 5400rpm stock last-gen-console hard drive. It also froze up and kept 'pinwheeling' so had to offload and restart. Then it froze again and drained battery down to 20% in just a few minutes. Then it froze again, every time on the add bandmate screen.

Was going to try out @Metanoios91 hilarious suggestion of just scanning images online to unlock bandmates but never could actually get to the point of scanning with the camera, the app froze each time. :sad:

The app works fine on my phone. But I have one of the best mobile releases of 2020 so that might play a role. The image recognition and AR algorithm they implemented requires a fair amount of computing power, although there are no measures installed to prevent you from just scanning still images (which I definitely would never ever do or recommend). I just installed it to test it, because I work in data science and was interested how advanced their implementation was. Their were rumors about a canned addon to the Dimensions theme that was also supposed to have the scanning feature of minifigs. There is potential in this technology but they would have to think bigger, if it should be more than a gimmick, that gets boring in less than a minute.

34 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

The app works fine on my phone. But I have one of the best mobile releases of 2020 so that might play a role.

Ah that must be it. My phone is like just after rotary dial. :grin: No wonder it wasn't working for me. :pir-grin:

1 hour ago, Soupperson1 said:

There’s quite a few if you google LEGO Vidiyo in news or click last 24 hours. For convenience here’s: CNET and WIRED. One compares them the Beat Boxes to the Rexcelsior. *huh* 

I’m really curious what you thinks them worth their price. I think they’re just set minifigures (no side leg printing, no dual moulds on most, no side arm printing, single sided heads, most reuse accessories) with three fancy tiles, that are randomised amongst these and the Beat Boxes.

First of all I think they look unique and original, which is a key factor to me. They really bring something new to the table and really stand out: the shark guy, bunny girl, ice cream guy, etc... 

Some have very interesting new pieces like the alien girl. Or interesing recolors in some pieces, again, like the Alien Girl. 

Even the minifigures without new molds like the ghost or the genie are very well executed. 

And the printed tiles are huge plus to me. 

Overall, I really like what I see here.

In a year when the only regular CMF series are already over until next January (at least), I didn't have a lot to look foward, but these bandmates have been are really pleasant surprise. Very interested to see the second series

Why is it that the only figure I even remotely find interesting is the Ice Cream Guy? But then I see the cost... “uff da!” How fast will it be until these see massive markdowns? Maybe the fact that these seem/are overpriced is limiting my enthusiasm for these figures.

This theme has shelfwarmer written all over it.

Like a few figs (shark, mermaid, werewolf, ghost lady and ice cream) but not blind or at those RRPs and absolutely zero interest in the theme and app itself.

Going to swerve these for now, possible impulse buy when likely marked down 50% in a few months’ time.

1 hour ago, doomguy said:

I suppose you're right in some ways, but I still think they are overpriced. We've gotten CMFs with the same amount of specialized molds and details on par with these new figures, I accept that they will separately cost 5 dollars a pop. But 20 dollars for basically a CMF figure, a cube piece you can probably find in Dots sets, and some tiles that work with an app that's so basic in functionality..? I'm not sure that's worth the cost at all.

I'm still curious about the theme albeit extremely skeptical, do you have a link to information about the Summer wave?

I agree they are overpriced (which is something I rarely agree with) and they should be (in my opinion) $15. 
If you go back a couple of pages it should have been mentioned if not it will be pretty buried on #legoleaks on Instagram AKA “The usual place”.

4 hours ago, BitByBrick said:

Why is it that the only figure I even remotely find interesting is the Ice Cream Guy? But then I see the cost... “uff da!” How fast will it be until these see massive markdowns? Maybe the fact that these seem/are overpriced is limiting my enthusiasm for these figures.

Ice Cream Guy is $5, same as any CMF. The issue is that these can't be identified by feel. 

Hi, I’ve been watching this thread as I wondered what this theme would be like. I think the figures are interesting and definitely in the realm of being “collectible”, but I’m not sure about a Lego product that is more about a mobile app than physical play.

another concern I have for the collector with the CMF boxes is that it says 2 of the 3 tiles are random in each box. So even if there is a method of identifying the figures there’s no guarantee you’ll get the full set of tiles

10 hours ago, Metanoios91 said:

although there are no measures installed to prevent you from just scanning still images (which I definitely would never ever do or recommend). 

I would definitely recommend this if you have a kid interested in it and you do not want to pay the extortionate prices. I did it for Nexo Knights, images worked fine. If LEGO wanted to security protect it, they should have come up with better protection. If they want to monetize the app, then charge for it, or charge for items in the app.

I thought Lego Mario would not be successful, bot for some reason it was. Maybe this theme is the same way.

I don't like how a lot of Lego sets now have to be linked to smart devices. I like the minifigures, but am not going to buy them. Maybe on bricklink so I know which one I will get...

On top of the issues already discussed here, like the overpriced cube sets and the blind boxes, there is also the issue with the app itself. I know I am not part of the target demographic, but still, I see so many problems with this app. 

This whole thing was obviously created in order to compete with Tik Tok, but in the process completely missed what makes Tik Tok popular with kids. Tik Tok is completely free, while this app requires you to spend more money in order to unlock more features. That kind of marketing has always been a recipe for disaster. 

On top of that, they specifically stated in the press release that the app requires you to submit your videos for moderation before you can publish them or even save them on your own device... which is inevitably gonna take at least a few days, which a kid isn't going to wait for. Unless the moderation takes less than five minutes, there is no way the kids are gonna stay engaged with the app for long. Not to mention how that moderation process in of itself is not sustainable for LEGO. In order to do that, it would require a lot of man power, which LEGO doesn't have. Remember how back in the day, the LEGO Universe Online game was abruptly cancelled despite its popularity? It was cancelled for the exact same reason, that being requiring way too much man power for the game moderation. 

All in all, this whole app gimmick feels like it is destined for failure. LEGO has made themselves a reputation of just walking away from all their tie-in media as soon as the products have been sold, and I can bet it isn't going to be any different here. They are clearly trying to tap into a market they have no real staying power in. 

If LEGO really, really wants to combine physical play digital play, they should invest in stuff like Mindstorms instead, which has continually proven successful. All those phone gimmicks, on the other side, are all gonna eventually end up in the clearance bin. 

The more I see LEGO experimental release products like this, the more convinced I am that they are about to enter in their second dark age... just like the one from the early 2000's. 

25 minutes ago, Lego David said:

The more I see LEGO experimental release products like this, the more convinced I am that they are about to enter in their second dark age... just like the one from the early 2000's. 

I doubt that is on the table for one big reason: their long-staying license themes. I honestly feel that as long as Lego have Harry Potter, Star Wars, superheroes and Minecraft then the brand always has that surety to fall on. Lego are very transparent about what themes are so successful which must make them more comfortable to experiment with stuff like Hidden Side, Mario and these Vidiyo sets to try and find the next big theme for them like Ninjago or Friends. 

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

I don't. They release approximately 800 sets a year. VIDIYO is about 1-2% of that. If they didn't take risks we will never have anything new and we would never had have CMF, IDEAS, Modulars or 18+ sets, or Mario. I remember back in 2010, people saying that CMF were doomed as there is no way people would pay £2 for a minifigure, especially when you didn't know what it was going to be.

Edited by MAB

Well I think creatively speaking we already are experiencing a dark age.I've been saying this for quite some time but Lego has become creatively bankrupt and we have to thank the corporatization of the company for that.

The constant need for media tie ins to maximize sales has ruined the company,nowadays there has to be either a movie,TV show or an app gimmick to sell a theme. 

This theme is the latest example of this trend,which why I hope it fails miserably. 

1 hour ago, MAB said:

I don't. They release approximately 800 sets a year. VIDIYO is about 1-2% of that. If they didn't take risks we will never have anything new and we would never had have CMF, IDEAS, Modulars or 18+ sets, or Mario. I remember back in 2010, people saying that CMF were doomed as there is no way people would pay £2 for a minifigure, especially when you didn't know what it was going to be.

I am by no means against LEGO taking risks (I'd even go as far as saying that I encourage it), but in my mind there is a clear line between what kinds of risks they should and shouldn't take. I am all for experimenting with new kinds of LEGO play themes, but I don't support gimmick-based products like VIDYO or Super Mario.  

2 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

I doubt that is on the table for one big reason: their long-staying license themes. I honestly feel that as long as Lego have Harry Potter, Star Wars, superheroes and Minecraft then the brand always has that surety to fall on. Lego are very transparent about what themes are so successful which must make them more comfortable to experiment with stuff like Hidden Side, Mario and these Vidiyo sets to try and find the next big theme for them like Ninjago or Friends. 

I don't think having those licenses around is gonna protect them from anything. As we saw numerous times, the popularity of those themes is 90% of time influenced by whether there are any new movies coming out, or if those new movies are well-received... because if not, the sets just don't sell (there are plenty of examples of that).

And if your licensed themes sales are most of of the time completely dependent on stuff happening outside the company, then you clearly have a bit of a problem.  

24 minutes ago, Lego David said:

I am by no means against LEGO taking risks (I'd even go as far as saying that I encourage it), but in my mind there is a clear line between what kinds of risks they should and shouldn't take. I am all for experimenting with new kinds of LEGO play themes, but I don't support gimmick-based products like VIDYO or Super Mario.  

You might not support what you are calling gimmick-based products such as VIDIYO or Super Mario, but other people do. Personally, I am not a fan of the art sets and I think they are a bit of a gimmick pretending that a poorly pixelated image is art. I am also not that bothered about real life objects made into LEGO sets that cost way more than the actual object and don't do what the object is meant to do. But LEGO cannot please everyone with every product. And they should not aim to.

18 hours ago, Soupperson1 said:

CMFs have definitely been struggling pre and mid pandemic where I’m from. Most retailers have stopped stocking the unlicensed series. I imagine this is what lead to the Beat Boxes price increase. Figures clearly don’t cost €5 if they can sell €10 4+ sets with exclusive prints, extra large pieces and two figures. :P 

In the USA there hasn't been an increase in price this wave, they have been $5 awhile. Even before that Target used to have 4-6+ boxes on pegs on the ends of aisles. Then it went down to a box. Same with Walmart. They only get two boxes now when they used to get several. The peak for how easy to find the figures was with the first Disney series.

5 minutes ago, Maple said:

In the USA there hasn't been an increase in price this wave, they have been $5 awhile. Even before that Target used to have 4-6+ boxes on pegs on the ends of aisles. Then it went down to a box. Same with Walmart. They only get two boxes now when they used to get several. The peak for how easy to find the figures was with the first Disney series.

Here in the UK they have gone from £3.49 for a CMF currently to £3.99 for these. However, CMFs at £3.49 hang around a lot longer than they used to as there has been a price rise recently, although this might also be partially due to the licensed themes as people don't tend to buy multiples of each. For us, they were £1.99 from Series 1-10, then £2.49 until Series 16, £2.99 until Series 19, £3.49 for Series 20+21, so £3.99 a figure is expensive compared to what longer term collectors are used to. I'm not sure where the licensed themes fit into the price line as I rarely buy them and only ever at a discount. I think the BAM figures are still 3 for £5 here too (although I haven't been in a LEGO store for over a year now), to put it into more context. In a store, if my kid could buy one of these for £4 and three BAM for £5, I know where I'd be aiming them.

7 hours ago, Lira_Bricks said:

I thought Lego Mario would not be successful, bot for some reason it was. Maybe this theme is the same way.

I'm not saying this theme will or wont fail, but Mario has the license on its side. Despite this theme also technically being licensed,  it doesn't have the draw of icon characters like Mario. Even gimmick wise the Mario sets are more interesting imo.

6 hours ago, Lego David said:

On top of the issues already discussed here, like the overpriced cube sets and the blind boxes, there is also the issue with the app itself. I know I am not part of the target demographic, but still, I see so many problems with this app. 

This whole thing was obviously created in order to compete with Tik Tok, but in the process completely missed what makes Tik Tok popular with kids. Tik Tok is completely free, while this app requires you to spend more money in order to unlock more features. That kind of marketing has always been a recipe for disaster. 

On top of that, they specifically stated in the press release that the app requires you to submit your videos for moderation before you can publish them or even save them on your own device... which is inevitably gonna take at least a few days, which a kid isn't going to wait for. Unless the moderation takes less than five minutes, there is no way the kids are gonna stay engaged with the app for long. Not to mention how that moderation process in of itself is not sustainable for LEGO. In order to do that, it would require a lot of man power, which LEGO doesn't have. Remember how back in the day, the LEGO Universe Online game was abruptly cancelled despite its popularity? It was cancelled for the exact same reason, that being requiring way too much man power for the game moderation. 

All in all, this whole app gimmick feels like it is destined for failure. LEGO has made themselves a reputation of just walking away from all their tie-in media as soon as the products have been sold, and I can bet it isn't going to be any different here. They are clearly trying to tap into a market they have no real staying power in. 

If LEGO really, really wants to combine physical play digital play, they should invest in stuff like Mindstorms instead, which has continually proven successful. All those phone gimmicks, on the other side, are all gonna eventually end up in the clearance bin. 

Man I really miss LEGO Universe, what an absolute shame they couldn't keep it going...

I agree about the app. While I personally don't care at all about it, it is a big part of this theme and for it to have so many intentional limitations is not only frustrating but self-defeating. The inability to use the app with other social media apps is problematic and preventing people from downloading videos until they can be moderated by LEGO is utterly absurd. It's definitely true that the amount of effort required on LEGO's part to keep this app going guarantees it'll only be around as long as the theme is around which is probably 2-3 years max.

19 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

The inability to use the app with other social media apps is problematic and preventing people from downloading videos until they can be moderated by LEGO is utterly absurd.

That is also a selling point for parents though. They know their kids can go on there and everything is moderated.

13 minutes ago, MAB said:

That is also a selling point for parents though. They know their kids can go on there and everything is moderated.

Exactly. They want to know there is some oversight going on. 

I have seen at least a few bags of the CMF ripped each wave. Just think of how many of these boxes will be destroyed.

Also, this isn't Mario. If LEGO charged $20 for a Mario figure and some printed tiles I think it would sell anyways. I think having a $10 set for $20 because of an app is insanity and I don't see them selling during a global pandemic and depression. Would I rather buy my children a Friends Waffle house or a City SUV with a beach buggy or a Vidiyo figure in a case? I'd go with a real set, but I don't have children.

I think I'll give Lego the benefit of the doubt regarding the profitability of this theme. I am sure they have experts that know more about us, plus details that are not public, that made them invest in this theme. They probably have a realistic understanding of the inherent risks, and still decided to invest in the theme. And I actually think they are making a genuine effort to stay fresh. I also appreciate the creativity and love that seems to have gone into the theme. I just wish they gave us a way to identify the blind boxes, similar to the bar codes of old!