Robert8

VIDIYO - Universal Music 2021

3 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

All other accounts suggest the opposite, that the DC series sold well, and at the very least was not an epic fail. Lego gave a reason for the switch to 12 from 16, and I believe it involved acknowledging that some people buy a full box, and the new ones contain full sets rather than mixed numbers.

DC was half off, that's a fail in my book. You don't see the Harry Potter series being half off.

3 hours ago, gedren_y said:

That is no longer the case. Harry Potter series 2 and Series 21 were both $4.99 this past Wednesday. Series 20 got scanned the same as the DC series, which was priced at $3.44.

I haven't bought then in a store in years. eBay is a lot easier. But that really sucks. $3.44 was the perfect price point. Maybe the pandemic increased sales.

A lot of people repeat some variation that the beatboxes are "a figure, printed tiles, and a box" without mentioning there is a tiled logo for each character built on the back. There is one particular set of leaks that shows a few of the logo builds. These logos seem to comprise around 30 to 40 mostly small plates/tiles/ etc. I'm not saying this makes it worth $20, just think it's worth noting there is a small "build" with each one. I do agree the price is high and likely to come down. 

20 minutes ago, Maple said:

DC was half off, that's a fail in my book. You don't see the Harry Potter series being half off.

One piece of anecdotal evidence cannot be extrapolated to the success or failure of a whole line. Once I came across heaps of Series 4 in a Target for 75 cents, over half off. Does that mean Series 4 was an utter failure?

Stone Wars has found all the sets and minifigures from the bandmates line. All pictures are on Instagram and on the Stone Wars website.

8 hours ago, cosmic said:

To add to that, this is an especially risky theme to price sets so high for. Not only do fans have no connection with the source material, the blind boxes push financially cautious costumers away, but its being released during troubling economic times globally. Lego has already made some pretty bad decisions with this theme and honestly its a shame because the designs are so good, making them blind bags and lowering the set prices just a little would do so much for the sales, at least I reason that to be the case.

Then why are some of the most expensive sets constantly on backorder? Or that most sets at some point have sold out temporarily, the issue isn’t price, it’s value for money. 

23 minutes ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Then why are some of the most expensive sets constantly on backorder? Or that most sets at some point have sold out temporarily, the issue isn’t price, it’s value for money. 

@cosmic didn't say all expensive sets sell badly, but instead this theme in particular is a very risky theme to price so highly when people have no association with the material making them want to buy it. Even if the value is there (which I very much think it's not), one wouldn't know seeing this on the shelf because you wouldn't even know what it was.

Thanks for the point towards Stone Wars. It's nice that each side of the box of boxes contains the full set of 12, but only if A. you get access to an unopened box and B. you want all 12 to begin with. They don't mention anything about a way to identify what's in the boxes, which is a bad sign.

22 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

@cosmic didn't say all expensive sets sell badly, but instead this theme in particular is a very risky theme to price so highly when people have no association with the material making them want to buy it. Even if the value is there (which I very much think it's not), one wouldn't know seeing this on the shelf because you wouldn't even know what it was.

Oh I understand now! Thanks both of you.

22 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Thanks for the point towards Stone Wars. It's nice that each side of the box of boxes contains the full set of 12, but only if A. you get access to an unopened box and B. you want all 12 to begin with. They don't mention anything about a way to identify what's in the boxes, which is a bad sign.

Thank you. I didn’t even pick up on that, well spotted. I wonder if they will be placed in the box in a certain order like as mentioned in the series 21 thread? If so we could find the ones we want providing like you said we get to pick from an undisturbed box.

I can’t actually read the stone wars article because an annoying white box appears and I can’t get rid of it. I’ll have to try on my computer later.

12 hours ago, cosmic said:

@RedHoodPug what do you mean by full sets and mixed numbers?

For those who bought full boxes, there was a crapshoot regarding how many of each figure would be in there. Some would be five per box, some one (the chase figures), and despite there being a recognised order of where to find them in the box, it didn’t always happen. 16 doesn’t go into 60, so theoretically there were three full sets and twelve others in the box. With a series of 12, they go into a box of 60, and I believe that there will be smaller boxes too. 

9 hours ago, Maple said:

Argos in the UK are selling them for £1 each.

It's disappointing that right now it seems that there is no way to identify the figures. On the bright side, I am glad that they are trying this with Vidiyo and (knock on wood) not on the CMFs yet. I would expect they'll lose some sales from people who are looking for specific figures and not full sets. I, for one, am interested in 6 figures tops. If I am unable to find them from a reseller at a price close enough to retail, I will likely just skip out on them completely.

Honestly, I know this blind bag model can be lucrative, but it feels wrong and it is not what I expect from Lego. Trying to sell us sets when we have no way of knowing what we are actually buying feels like an abuse of the relationship they have with us, their customers. Just my humble opinion. :look:

I don't know about the rest of the world but in the USA I can see a lot of these blind boxes being ripped open and stolen. If you stick them in boxes then let us buy what we want. I really like the shark guy.

Yeah each box should have had the face of the figure inside like the Mario buildable series. The designs were also so good I really wanted most of them. But at the risk of getting so many multiples and wasting so much money to “bump into” the right figure makes me not want to buy the series. Who thought this was a good idea? Hehe those pesky troglodytes will just throw their money at us in search of a complete series! Those pesky fools.... 

except what will really happen is sales won’t be as promising because Lego actively made their product less appealing.

Edited by cosmic

Man, I don’t know about this theme. I really like a fair amount of them, but these prices. $20 for those beatboxes...& not being able to know who I’m getting in the blind boxes, when all I really want are three of them...gonna be a hard sell for me I think. 

Some figures remind me of Fabuland figures and they seem to be as tall as those (a tad bigger than the normal minifigure). Would be interesting to see a comparison/side-by-side.

18 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

When will Vidiyo sets be released, again?  March 1?

Never mind....I saw it on Lego shop website just now!

I agree with everyone who has reservations of the prices for this theme. Interestingly if you read reviews by sites who aren’t fans of LEGO who were sent press kits they applaud the low price points and easy to build features. But all themes aimed at kids 

Compare the Beat Boxes to the Friends Cubes, which are half the price. The cubes measures over 2.5 in (8 cm) long, 3 in. (8 cm) wide and 5 in. (13 cm) high compared to Beat Boxes which measure 2 in. (7 cm) long, 3 in. (10 cm) wide and 3 in. (8 cm) high. That is not nearly enough of a difference to justify such a significant price increase. I know there’s new moulds (the Friends cubes a,so started out with three) but don’t all new themes usually get big budgets for their first wave? The only difference is the few extra pieces for the mosaics (I think nearly all of which are common enough?) and then the generous amount of printed tiles. The problem with the printed tiles is they’re randomised amongst different sets and once you have one you already have the feature in the app. Now I know AFOLs can use them as posters, CDs, DVDs, magazines etc. in MOCs but even then less and more variety I think would be better. 

The Beat Boxes have a price increase compared to CMFs in most countries now. While you do get three tiles per set I think the figures aren’t of the same premium quality of CMFs. None of them seem to have dual sided faces and only two have dual moulded legs and side leg printing. Eight have existing accessories too! They’re really not worth the premium price in my eyes. 

I also think this is the least LEGO like product in quite a while. Say what you will about BIONICLE, Friends, DOTs, Fusion or Super Mario but building is at a core to all of those products. Here you only build a cube, tiny mosaic and then after you switch around tiles. :/

I really don’t want to dislike this theme as I have an interest in music and teaching kids the basics of studio work is a good idea in my eyes. I just think the theme has a bad start. I will definitely give it and the app a try (I’m excited to see how the “aqua” tiles work with licensed songs) but not until I get one of these sets at a significant discount. 

16 hours ago, Maple said:

Maybe the pandemic increased sales.

CMFs have definitely been struggling pre and mid pandemic where I’m from. Most retailers have stopped stocking the unlicensed series. I imagine this is what lead to the Beat Boxes price increase. Figures clearly don’t cost €5 if they can sell €10 4+ sets with exclusive prints, extra large pieces and two figures. :P 

Ngl, I kinda dig a couple of the minifigs  but the marketing campaing is making me cringe so hard

Funniest part, you don't have to buy any of the sets or figs at all for the full functionality of the app features. Just scan the pics that are available on the various Lego fan sites or reviews and you have all the beatbits and bandmates... before they are even on the market.

Edited by Metanoios91

48 minutes ago, Soupperson1 said:

I agree with everyone who has reservations of the prices for this theme. Interestingly if you read reviews by sites who aren’t fans of LEGO who were sent press kits they applaud the low price points and easy to build features. But all themes aimed at kids 

Can you link to an example please? I'd love to see what these sites are comparing it to that makes them think these price points are low (unless they're just sipping the corporate Kool Aid of course). Totally agree with everything else you wrote.

I think I'll get all the bandmates. I think they are all well executed and original minifigures. And more importantly, they look like they are worth the price

From the others.... hmmmm the price is too much for me. Maybe I'll get the mermaid and the alien on Bricklink

4 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Can you link to an example please? I'd love to see what these sites are comparing it to that makes them think these price points are low (unless they're just sipping the corporate Kool Aid of course). Totally agree with everything else you wrote.

There’s quite a few if you google LEGO Vidiyo in news or click last 24 hours. For convenience here’s: CNET and WIRED. One compares them the Beat Boxes to the Rexcelsior. *huh* 

6 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I think I'll get all the bandmates. I think they are all well executed and original minifigures. And more importantly, they look like they are worth the price.

I’m really curious what you thinks them worth their price. I think they’re just set minifigures (no side leg printing, no dual moulds on most, no side arm printing, single sided heads, most reuse accessories) with three fancy tiles, that are randomised amongst these and the Beat Boxes.

17 hours ago, Vorkosigan said:

A lot of people repeat some variation that the beatboxes are "a figure, printed tiles, and a box" without mentioning there is a tiled logo for each character built on the back. There is one particular set of leaks that shows a few of the logo builds. These logos seem to comprise around 30 to 40 mostly small plates/tiles/ etc. I'm not saying this makes it worth $20, just think it's worth noting there is a small "build" with each one. I do agree the price is high and likely to come down. 

Personally I think the 20 dollar price tag for just a figure and some small pieces is ridiculous, for that same price you can buy a much more interesting Creator set with more pieces and value. If it was 10 dollars for everything I think it would be a little more forgiving, but 20???? Didn't Ninjago spinners retail for like 10 bucks a pop? :wall:

6 hours ago, BrickHat said:

It's disappointing that right now it seems that there is no way to identify the figures. On the bright side, I am glad that they are trying this with Vidiyo and (knock on wood) not on the CMFs yet. I would expect they'll lose some sales from people who are looking for specific figures and not full sets. I, for one, am interested in 6 figures tops. If I am unable to find them from a reseller at a price close enough to retail, I will likely just skip out on them completely.

Honestly, I know this blind bag model can be lucrative, but it feels wrong and it is not what I expect from Lego. Trying to sell us sets when we have no way of knowing what we are actually buying feels like an abuse of the relationship they have with us, their customers. Just my humble opinion. :look:

Unless you are willing to invest in a small scale that measures to 0.01g of course.

9 minutes ago, doomguy said:

Personally I think the 20 dollar price tag for just a figure and some small pieces is ridiculous, for that same price you can buy a much more interesting Creator set with more pieces and value. If it was 10 dollars for everything I think it would be a little more forgiving, but 20???? Didn't Ninjago spinners retail for like 10 bucks a pop? :wall:

Yes but keep in mind there are more pieces in these than Ninjago Spinners and these are technically licensed (license to Universal Music for the music only which is what the price tag is paying for) as well as the various new molds some of which are big and bulky.

Much better PPP in the summer though (not the 2 beatboxes admittedly).

By the way, I think the QR code is just to download the app.

Edited by Anonknee Muss

6 minutes ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Yes but keep in mind there are more pieces in these than Ninjago Spinners and these are technically licensed (license to Universal Music for the music only which is what the price tag is paying for) as well as the various new molds some of which are big and bulky.

The Friends Cubes are roughly the same size and also introduced new big and bulky moulds. They even had the same blind bag feature as the tiles with the animals, except the randomly coloured four animals (which required uncommon larger pieces than tiles to be redone in new colours) were exclusive to set while bar one these are shared across the line. They retailed for less than half of the Beat Boxes in Europe though. I know they weren’t licensed but there’s no way these cost more than double to make then those even factoring in the license and fancy minifigure.

Just now, Soupperson1 said:

The Friends Cubes are roughly the same size and also introduced new big and bulky moulds. They even had the same blind bag feature as the tiles with the animals, except the randomly coloured four animals (which required uncommon larger pieces than tiles to be redone in new colours) were exclusive to set while bar one these are shared across the line. They retailed for less than half of the Beat Boxes in Europe though. I know they weren’t licensed but there’s no way these cost more than double to make then those even factoring in the license and fancy minifigure.

Good point but the Friends cubes have half the pieces.

Anyone try out the app yet? It was functioning terribly for me. First up it prompts you to download an additional 300MB of content after the initial app install which isn't a big deal except that its incredibly slow, slower than downloading gigabytes of patches elsewhere on the same internet connection. Also the loading of the app and every area takes forever, longer than loading a Fallout 4 save on a 5400rpm stock last-gen-console hard drive. It also froze up and kept 'pinwheeling' so had to offload and restart. Then it froze again and drained battery down to 20% in just a few minutes. Then it froze again, every time on the add bandmate screen.

Was going to try out @Metanoios91 hilarious suggestion of just scanning images online to unlock bandmates but never could actually get to the point of scanning with the camera, the app froze each time. :sad: