Sign in to follow this  
LucByard

[MOC] Approach/Landing Pad 1

Built at roughly 1/150 or 'Trophy figure scale', the 34x34 section contains an octagonal landing/approach pad. There are two taxiway exits, against which you can place additional sections to expand the build.

49814077228_f1ecfc7aaa.jpg

The techniques used to create the octagon are the same as those used in my Blacktron Landing pad, as are the methods for the edging and corner shrouds to hide the gap. I was uncertain what colours to do the ground with. I was going to do green but thought that would mean 'Earth' and didn't fancy Lunar grey so went with a mottled sand. Maybe Titan. The centre section can accommodate other numbers, I've tested 1-4.

I love your Blacktron one and have been wanting to copy it for an eventual Classic Space base (or maybe a Blacktron one :innocent:).  I love how it has pipes and details to make it look like it's functional and can supply whatever has landed.  It always bothers me how small most LEGO landing pads are, which barely accommodate the vehicle, but this one is large enough to be realistic for most LEGO spaceships.

4 hours ago, pombe said:

I love your Blacktron one and have been wanting to copy it for an eventual Classic Space base (or maybe a Blacktron one :innocent:).  I love how it has pipes and details to make it look like it's functional and can supply whatever has landed.  It always bothers me how small most LEGO landing pads are, which barely accommodate the vehicle, but this one is large enough to be realistic for most LEGO spaceships.

Thanks. That's why with this one, the plan is for the ship to taxi from the pad to a landing zone where the facilities would be. More like a real airport, I suppose.

1 hour ago, fletcher4sp said:

I'm guessing that this is one of many?

The idea is for 34x34 sections that can be put together to form a spaceport. Other sections (if I get to them) will be taxiways, landing zones and maybe eventually a terminal with a tower. But there will be a least one more pad.

19 hours ago, LucByard said:

Thanks. That's why with this one, the plan is for the ship to taxi from the pad to a landing zone where the facilities would be. More like a real airport, I suppose.

The idea is for 34x34 sections that can be put together to form a spaceport. Other sections (if I get to them) will be taxiways, landing zones and maybe eventually a terminal with a tower. But there will be a least one more pad.

Nice!  I'm guessing you will have hangars, too.

But that will require your spacecraft to have landing gears with wheels, so that they can taxi themselves, correct?

On 4/28/2020 at 6:28 PM, pombe said:

Nice!  I'm guessing you will have hangars, too.

But that will require your spacecraft to have landing gears with wheels, so that they can taxi themselves, correct?

Hangars maybe. I try to build in retractable landing gear to my micro-ships now.

42747029370_8a07d9f368.jpg

49753011493_56993edd3d.jpg

No wheels... They'll just have to hover.

12 minutes ago, LucByard said:

49753011493_56993edd3d.jpg

Great design!  I guess I'm copying you again.

I've finished a second 34x34 section. This one is a Taxiway T-junction... I may be running out of small tan/dark tan pieces.

49860097872_169bb70ef1.jpg

Edited by LucByard

New section: Landing zones.

49901426133_48ebfc6191_b.jpg

The numbers and latter float so they can easily be removed and replaced as required. The 'G' is for general so you might use 'C' for cargo or 'R' for restricted, however you please.