This is my first Entry for the Oaken shield Task of the GOC-challenge.

To Rear- Admiral Fletcher Commander of the Terra Novan Fleet

As answer for your call for Gunboats for the colonies, I have been searching for a multi purpose light vessel. The result is a boat with six oars that can serve as a landing boat due to it's space for twelve soldiers or as light gun carrier with an experimental 12 pounder gun. With slight modifications the boat can get a very small mast and a sail but generally the boat is not supposed for that as it would destroy the very small silhouette. Fortunately it is small enough to be considered as side boat for larger ships, but still you can find instructions with this letter with which every shipwright should be able to replicate it.

Your servant,

John W. Jaeger

Marine Lieutenant serving in Spudkirk

49822044616_f160b2fd3c_z.jpg

There it is, my first ship:pir-huzzah2: Critique ver welcomed as this is new Land for me!

Stay healthy!

Well, if this is your first boat your of to a great career of shipbuilding my friend! :thumbup:

I'd only smoothen the nose and maybe add a little last to show your colours.

Very nice little boat, I like the nicely shaped hull, especially the bow section. Nice presentation as well.

Nice gunboat Legonaut and the simple water technique is surprisingly effective at really making the scene 'pop'! For the boat itself the stern looks a little sharp (if that makes sense?) I think tapering it a bit might have made the shape look more natural. Very clever oar design (it took me a close look to figure out how you attached the shutter to the shaft - with a lever piece - genius!!!!) and I also love the brick built cannon. :thumbup: from me

Excellent crew and rows!!! We should tremble before the mighty Corrington little rowboats!? Naaaah...

For the boat itself, as others have said, the bow is indeed too sharp so you could smooth it on future vessels of yours (Mark II and onwards). Also the ratio between length and width is a bit off for this one (it would be really cumbersome to sail in real sea - it would be what we call a nut shell in my waters) as the boat should be either narrower or in your case longer (since I understand you want to accomodate its payload of a double row of despicable redcoats plus the gun).

And of course all this criticism is because you have a really good potential as a builder so keep experimenting and googling rowboats and stuff (I have found it helps tremendously).

Edited by blackdeathgr

On 4/27/2020 at 12:10 AM, Fraunces said:

Well, if this is your first boat your of to a great career of shipbuilding my friend! :thumbup:

I'd only smoothen the nose and maybe add a little last to show your colours.

Thank you for the nice words and the critique!

On 4/27/2020 at 12:11 AM, Professor Thaum said:

the oars are very well done

Nice that you like 'em! 

On 4/27/2020 at 2:45 AM, Bodi said:

Very nice little boat, I like the nicely shaped hull, especially the bow section. Nice presentation as well.

Appreciate it!

On 4/27/2020 at 3:00 AM, Sir Kingston said:

Great work! It's small, but serves its purpose well.:thumbup:

It all Starts small - relatively :pir-huzzah1:

On 4/27/2020 at 3:09 AM, Beleg the Ranger said:

Well done, @Legonaut

On 4/29/2020 at 12:14 AM, Ayrlego said:

Nice gunboat Legonaut and the simple water technique is surprisingly effective at really making the scene 'pop'! For the boat itself the stern looks a little sharp (if that makes sense?) I think tapering it a bit might have made the shape look more natural. Very clever oar design (it took me a close look to figure out how you attached the shutter to the shaft - with a lever piece - genius!!!!) and I also love the brick built cannon. :thumbup: from me

The Idea with those plates came to me while photographing so pretty much Last Minute.

For my next boat I'm gonna Post some WIPs in the shipwright's guildhall to get a more realistic shape! 

The oar Design was a Modifikation of the Same technice by SW builders who build screens with Windows and these lever pieces.

Glad you Like it! 

On 4/29/2020 at 9:11 AM, blackdeathgr said:

Excellent crew and rows!!! We should tremble before the mighty Corrington little rowboats!? Naaaah...

For the boat itself, as others have said, the bow is indeed too sharp so you could smooth it on future vessels of yours (Mark II and onwards). Also the ratio between length and width is a bit off for this one (it would be really cumbersome to sail in real sea - it would be what we call a nut shell in my waters) as the boat should be either narrower or in your case longer (since I understand you want to accomodate its payload of a double row of despicable redcoats plus the gun).

And of course all this criticism is because you have a really good potential as a builder so keep experimenting and googling rowboats and stuff (I have found it helps tremendously).

You should Always tremble in the light of any glorious corrish Vessel with our Brave Men and our feared cannons:pir_tong2:

Thanks for the Feedback, Mark II already in work, based upon this Design but longer! 

Did this and helped, big thumbs Up for your and all the Others critique!

I am late to seeing his but here is a :thumbup: from me. I like the creativity for the oars, and am especially fond of the use of two colors to represent the water and the foaming water. Also the letter format of description is both fitting to the quest, and well put together. Sorry for the late response.